The Student Room Group

Propane to propan1-ol reaction help

14839576657781770128893.jpg for q 2 , my reactions are not stated in the Mark scheme, is it still valid ?
Attachment not found
thanks
Reply 1
Knowledge of your spec is important, but I'll bet the answer is:

propane + chlorine + uv _>

then chloropropane + NaOH + ethanol ->

Anyhoo... your step 1 was wrong, for a number of reasons.
Reply 2
Original post by coconut64
14839576657781770128893.jpg for q 2 , my reactions are not stated in the Mark scheme, is it still valid ?
Attachment not found
thanks

How exactly do you dehydrate propane?

And you second step would need a reaction which has Anti-Markovnikov selectivity, if not you form mostly propan-2-ol. Something like hydroboration.

Try a different route.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by alow
...you form mostly propan-2-ol.

Strictly, the Q in the OP only asks for propanol and doesn't specify which one.

But you were correct, the OP shows -1- being formed, which virtually wouldn't.
Reply 4
Original post by alow
How exactly do you dehydrate propane?

And you second step would need a reaction which has Anti-Markovnikov selectivity, if not you form mostly propan-2-ol. Something like hydroboration.

Try a different route.

Can't you use concentrated H3PO4 to dehydrate the alkane to form an alkene though? Why does that not work?Cheers
Reply 5
Can't you use concentrated H3PO4 to dehydrate the alkane to form an alkene though? Why does that not work?Cheers

What's produced in a dehydration reaction?
Reply 6
Original post by alow
What's produced in a dehydration reaction?

Sorry yeah, dehydration wouldn't work as the water molecule is removed isn't it
Reply 7

Dehydration is the removal of water from something. There is no oxygen in propane to make water.

You can dehydrate an alcohol to an alkene (but since you're trying to make an alcohol, that isn't smart).

You can dehydrogenate an alkane to make an alkene, but I'm not sure if it is on any A level spec.
Reply 8
Original post by Pigster
Dehydration is the removal of water from something. There is no oxygen in propane to make water.

You can dehydrate an alcohol to an alkene (but since you're trying to make an alcohol, that isn't smart).

You can dehydrogenate an alkane to make an alkene, but I'm not sure if it is on any A level spec.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest