The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by unknowntsr
I’m just thinking that if Cambridge reject me, they are a much better assessor of whether I could fit into their education system and if they don’t think I could, I should probably just leave it there and trust them on this one :smile:

This could be true. But it's very oversubscribed, so they could think you fit in but there isn't enough space. Hence why people reapply, right? And often get in the next time :smile:
I’m just thinking that if Cambridge reject me, they are a much better assessor of whether I could fit into their education system and if they don’t think I could, I should probably just leave it there and trust them on this one :smile:

I don't think a rejection means that you don't fit into their education system. From what I heard many applicants (especially those who reached the interview stage) are actually suitable, but there are only so many places they have.
Rep if you will NOT reapply if you don't get in.

(Me too, enough stress for one year.)
Original post by CutieTootsie
This could be true. But it's very oversubscribed, so they could think you fit in but there isn't enough space. Hence why people reapply, right? And often get in the next time :smile:

Original post by platelet
I don't think a rejection means that you don't fit into their education system. From what I heard many applicants (especially those who reached the interview stage) are actually suitable, but there are only so many places they have.

I get that but of course if they have to choose someone else over me that means that person is better suited right?

I’ll try as a postgrad tho

A university is not enough for me to reorganise my life for...

There's no way I'm reapplying. I'm ready to go to university next year and I don't want to gamble putting my life on hold for a year for another chance
I get that but of course if they have to choose someone else over me that means that person is better suited right?

Yeah in their opinion, but not that you aren't suited :smile: I'm sure competition varies from year to year (ish)

Plus, some Cambridge students do drop out, saying they can't handle the work load, they aren't having fun, etc. (Guess they don't get it right all the time after all)
I’ll try as a postgrad tho

Oh definitely! Just so I can show them what they missed out on the first time round :wink:
Hi everyone! Figured I should reintroduce myself considering the last time I was active on this thread it was still called "Cambridge Hopefuls" and was 2015... Probably a bad idea joining back 3 days before dday and my imminent rejection, but here we are. I'm Jen, Scottish, applied to Jesus for CompSci and I'm currently studying for 4 Advanced Highers in Chemistry, Computing Science, English and Maths:tongue:

I haven't really seen any other Jesus applicants cutting about, any of you here?

Hmmm...well...about that...
If anyone has Netflix and needs a way to get their minds off of C*******e (literally just the word gives me interview PTSD), watch The OA. It's amazing!!!!!!!
Plus, some Cambridge students do drop out, saying they can't handle the work load, they aren't having fun, etc. (Guess they don't get it right all the time after all)

Some do, yes, but fewer (1.1%) than at any other UK university. Average is 5.7%.
I think the one thing giving me hope is that the only person I know to have got a place at Cambridge doesn't even know how to wash and iron his clothes so his mum goes down every fortnight to get his washing. He keeps my faith alive.
WHY am I on Youtube watching Cambridge room tours... someone stop me from destroying myself pls :bawling:
Original post by jneill
Some do, yes, but fewer (1.1%) than at any other UK university. Average is 5.7%.

Yeah I knew it was impressively small, I was just hoping to explain that a rejection doesn't always mean you aren't suitable for Cambridge, because someone here felt that way unfortunately:frown:
Original post by jneill

Btw, was the reference in bold referring to The Other Place? :wink:
Yeah I knew it was impressively small, I was just hoping to explain that a rejection doesn't always mean you aren't suitable for Cambridge, because someone here felt that way unfortunately:frown:

A rejection is, unfortunately, more likely to be just because they physically don't have enough spaces. There a more excellent candidates who would do well at Cambridge than they have places for.

There's a Cambridge study somewhere about the outcomes of rejected students at their final university: they do better than the "average" candidates to those universities :smile:

Edit: found it
http://www.cao.cam.ac.uk/sites/www.cao.cam.ac.uk/files/ar_ums_performance_he_destination_of_cambridge_applicants.pdf
(edited 7 years ago)

I'd only reapply if I missed my insurance offer this year - definitely don't want to go through clearing...
Reply 859
How about eu students? Do you think Cambridge might be a little more lenient when it comes to assessing eu students' applications? And as far as I remeber, Cambridge interviews everyone, who "has a realistic chance of getting an offer". So, does it mean if your bmat score was abysmal, you'd get a pre-interview rejection? And if you get an interview, it means your bmat is passable..? I just want to relieve stress before the 12th...😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending