The Student Room Group

What do you wish you'd been told about Post-Sixth Form life in lower school?

Or anything about UCAS, Careers etc.
I'm applying to become the Head Girl for Post-18 life at my Sixth Form and was wondering how everyone feels about this topic since I'd like to implement some new ideas if I did get the role.

Personally, I wish I'd been informed about the whole process earlier on (eg. Year 10/11) so that everyone has enough time to get things done such as work experience which might be necessary for their course/strengthen applications etc, instead of a last minute panic at the end of Y12.
Also would have liked to have been told more about the alternatives to University because that often isn't talked about and many Sixth Formers feel pressured to apply for Uni even if that isn't necessarily the right path for them.

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?
lol this was a successful thread
Definitely more careers advice and the qualifications to take for uni for that career.
E.g. My friend was kinda annoyed/upset when she found out this certain uni asked for GCSEs and A levels in specific subjects which she wasn't advised to take so she wasn't able to get in
I wish I'd been told that work experience could be a very important part of my Personal Statement - it was very very last minute when I managed to get some :colondollar:
Reply 4
That my sixth form friends would stop talking to me.
That you don't have to go to uni, all the other options for people, and advice on that rather than just focusing on people who are applying. In regards to uni, would have been good to know the influence of work experience
I agree that I wish (during my A-Levels at least) that I was told that it's okay not to go to university, or at least that it simply isn't for everyone and that you shouldn't be stigmatized for not going. This is more general than personal since I enjoyed university having felt I got a good-enough balance between work/study and enjoyment, but I know a lot of people who went to university because of perceived pressure from peers or even the college and felt torn when they realised it wasn't for them and they thought their life was over because alternatives to university weren't emphasised enough during sixth form.
Original post by holly1798
That you don't have to go to uni, all the other options for people, and advice on that rather than just focusing on people who are applying. In regards to uni, would have been good to know the influence of work experience

One thing my school was great at was info about apprenticeships, but the work experience thing could definitely have been emphasised more rather than them telling me I needed to add it to me PS once I'd done the first draft :lol:
I think more talks on universities outside UK such as if you want to study medicine in Bulgaria for example.
Definitely agree about more info on work experience and super curriculars before year 13! There are loads of fun events, summer courses, etc. for even GCSE students which many schools don't tell anyone about but can be really helpful for university applications :smile: Also, information on alternatives to university without making them sound like being a complete failure - my school would always over-emphasise how many apprenticeships etc. require much lower grades than uni and don't have exams, when in fact there are some fantastic apprenticeships which require similar grades to universities and include a fully funded degree, work experience, pay, etc.
(edited 7 years ago)
I agree that it would have been nice to know more about alternatives to university.
And I wish I'd known how hard uni would be.
I think a lot of colleges just tell you you should go to uni because it's the best thing ever, but don't mention the downsides. It isn't for everyone, even if you do have good A level grades.
Thank you for the responses everyone! Great to hear how everyone feels about this and I really hope I get the role now so I can maybe help in changing some of these issues :h:
Wish I was taught more about how overwhelming year 12/13 is, and not to care about what others think of your subjects. I took sciences thinking it made me look smart and en route to snazzy jobs but here I am with an ABB offer to study Genetics with current grades of ACE, the E being bio :frown: Easier said than done, but I want to stop stressing out and crying and being sad about all this school stuff. Schools need to work on assemblies offering techniques to relax that arent just "EAT WELL!!!!!EXERCISE!!!!!!!"
Original post by surina16
lol this was a successful thread

Are you in yr 13?:smile:
Original post by sunshine774
Are you in yr 13?:smile:

She's in year 12
I second the alternatives to uni. I felt personally, it was forced upon us and it felt as though the only option was some dead end job or uni. Nothing about apprenticeships.
Original post by nisha.sri
She's in year 12

Oh lol thanks! How's your revision going?x:smile:
Haha no worries :smile: Good and you ?
Original post by sunshine774
Oh lol thanks! How's your revision going?x:smile:

It's good you ? How are you revising for econ ?
Original post by nisha.sri
It's good you ? How are you revising for econ ?

Revise all the key terms from the textbook and make notes. Practice multiple choice questions, and practice my essay writing.
Practice drawing all the diagrams for microeconomics. Wbu?x:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending