The Student Room Group

Edexcel maths higher grade boundary predictions. (post 2015)

My school did a test paper with other schools in the county. They then shared those scores and saw how people fared. Some of those schools made predicted grade boundaries based on these score. (Exam board is Edexcel and it was a higher paper).

These are the grade boundaries:
9: 64
8: 53
7: 40
6: 32
5: 24
4: 16

Did other schools made grade boundary predictions? If so, could you post their grade boundary predictions?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by stoyfan

Please note the OP's grades are not percentages but are out of 80.

The 8 boundary has to be exactly halfway between the 7 and 9 boundaries so should be 52. The 3 boundary is missing but it would have to be provisionally set at 12 based on the other figures.

If anyone else replies they will post wildly different sets of figures. It would be wise to wait until the first week of February to see the information Edexcel releases regarding their mock analysis using data submitted by hundreds of schools.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
These aren't percentages, they are marks. The test paper is out of 80.

I didn't know that there is a mock anylasis being released. What does that report contain?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by stoyfan
I missed out the 3 boundary as I was only talking about higher papers.

I didn't know that there is a mock anylasis being released. What does that report contain?

Grade 3 is awarded on the Higher Tier.

https://qualifications.pearson.com/content/dam/pdf/GCSE/mathematics/2015/training-and-events/GCSE-Maths-Secure-Mock-Service-FAQs.pdf
No way.
These are way too low.
Too^2 low, in fact.
I got about 20 in each paper, and got a U. 60/240 marks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by stoyfan
Also, these aren't percentages, they are marks. The test paper is out of 80

I'll amend my original reply. There are three papers so the total is actually out of 240.
Original post by Carthaginian
No way.
These are way too low.
Too^2 low, in fact.
I got about 20 in each paper, and got a U. 60/240 marks.

Your teacher is being cautious as everyone is very much in the dark. I'm fairly confident that wouldn't be a U. A 3 at worst and probably a 4.
Original post by Mr M
Your teacher is being cautious as everyone is very much in the dark. I'm fairly confident that wouldn't be a U. A 3 at worst and probably a 4.

Really? Now I feel much better.
Really? Now I feel much better.

Good. Are they allowing you to continue with Higher Tier?
Original post by Mr M
Good. Are they allowing you to continue with Higher Tier?

Yeah, we're gonna do the mocks again in March, hopefully I can increase this score by 60-80 marks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
We only did one paper.

The scary thing is that we don't actually know how good our marks really are.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by stoyfan
I was just wondering, how can you get level 4 or 3 if you are doing a higher tier. I thought that the lowest you can get in the higher tier is a 5.

Either way @Carthaginian , according to the grade boundary prediction you got a 4. Of course I guess you need to take the grade bourdaries with a pinch of salt.

Which is sort of scary considering we don't know how good our marks actually are.

Foundation Tier offers grades U, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5.

Higher Tier offers grades U, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9.
Original post by stoyfan
I was just wondering, how can you get level 4 or 3 if you are doing a higher tier. I thought that the lowest you can get in the higher tier is a 5.

Either way @Carthaginian , according to the grade boundary prediction you got a 4. Of course I guess you need to take the grade bourdaries with a pinch of salt.

Which is sort of scary considering we don't know how good our marks actually are.

Um... hate to break it to you,
but if you write random stuff and get everything wrong, would you still get a scale 5?
This is ours:
grades.png
Original post by stoyfan
My school did a test paper with other schools in the county. They then shared those scores and saw how people fared. Some of those schools made predicted grade boundaries based on these score. (Exam board is Edexcel and it was a higher paper).

Did other schools made grade boundary predictions? If so, could you post their grade boundary predictions?

Our school chose these grade boundaries based on percentages. E.g. The same amount of people that got an A or above last year in the country would get a 7 or above this time at our school. Same for a C and a 4 and above. This is out of 240 btw:

9: 210
8: 175
7: 120
6: 93
Less than that I don't remember

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by maninblack00
Our school chose these grade boundaries based on percentages. E.g. The same amount of people that got an A or above last year in the country would get a 7 or above this time at our school. Same for a C and a 4 and above. This is out of 240 btw:

9: 210
8: 175
6: 93
Less than that I don't remember

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh ok, my grade boudaries are for each test but if you want the boundaires for all of the course then just multiply it by 3.

Boundaries for all 3 tests.
9. 192
8: 159
6: 98
5: 72
4: 48

It is quite interesting to see your grade boundaries, they are slightly higher that the ones which my school made. I wonder if there are others as high as your's.
Original post by stoyfan
Oh ok, my grade boudaries are for each test but if you want the boundaires for all of the course then just multiply it by 3.

Boundaries for all 3 tests.
9. 192
8: 159
6: 98
5: 72
4: 48

It is quite interesting to see your grade boundaries, they are slightly higher that the ones which my school made. I wonder if there are others as high as your's.

Yea same it's interesting, did anyone manage a 9 at your school, only 2 in our school did. Top set average was about 50%.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Um... hate to break it to you,
but if you write random stuff and get everything wrong, would you still get a scale 5?
This is ours:
grades.png

These are terrible wrong. 50% of the paper tests grades 7, 8 and 9 so you definitely won't need to get 57.5% to get grade 6! 35% for grade 4 is also much too high. You rarely needed 35% to get a C on the old GCSE and that was considerably easier than the reformed qualification.
Reply 17
Original post by maninblack00
Yea same it's interesting, did anyone manage a 9 at your school, only 2 in our school did. Top set average was about 50%.

Posted from TSR Mobile

We have 12 sets in our school. Only some in set one and 2 people in the second set got grade nines. Otherwise the people in set one (my set) got 8s and 9s. I got a grade eight (I got 60/80) but I was wondering these grade boundaries are really optimistic.

Most got around about half the marks.

These tests are quite hard.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by stoyfan

This is out of 80 right?
Original post by Kavin123
This is out of 80 right?

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest