The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by SteamboatMickey
to all my fellow applicants on Thursday,

it is what it is

:smile: :holmes:

That seems to be the phrase of the year. I keep hearing it everywhere... including on Sherlock.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by domaths
Btw jneill are you planning to match peoples AA self-assessments you collected with their offer outcome?

Yep.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Aussiebou99999
@jneill I got a call on Friday inviting me for reinterview, and they said they would email me shortly. This email still hasn't come, do you think I should ring them up tomorrow? I am staring to worry they made a mistake!

I would call tomorrow.
Original post by SteamboatMickey
it is what it is

It's not OK.
Original post by Bunratty
But UMS across best 3 subjects is what is considered.

Very true! I don't doubt that they'll still look at available UMS though, and the subject I got low 80s in may be a bit of a worry considering the high average! I'm most probably just over thinking things!
Original post by jneill
That seems to be the phrase of the year. I keep hearing it everywhere... including on Sherlock.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Elementary, my dear jneill.

Spoiler

i've been hearing it a lot as well, i think it is the phrase of the year.
Original post by jneill
That's already had an effect actually. Numbers of applicants from the EU are down on prior years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

So they say. Will offer rates be down too? It would confirm the universities' point of view.
Original post by Aussiebou99999
@jneill I got a call on Friday inviting me for reinterview, and they said they would email me shortly. This email still hasn't come, do you think I should ring them up tomorrow? I am staring to worry they made a mistake!

They haven't made a mistake. If you haven't heard by, say, lunchtime tomorrow maybe give them a call.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Oddwatermelon
Very true! I don't doubt that they'll still look at available UMS though, and the subject I got low 80s in may be a bit of a worry considering the high average! I'm most probably just over thinking things!

You probably are. Bear in mind that things are probably going to work fairly differently this year - with a large amount of applicants not having a 3 Subject UMS average due to reforms.

@jneill I know this is somewhat of an irrelevant question, as we've reached the final stage, but do you know whether Cambridge chooses not to interview people due to low UMS? Or do you not know as, as I've just said, things are very different this year.
Original post by jpxw
Interesting to see that the average best 3 UMS mean is just over 93%, I thought it would be higher for some reason. I wonder if that's the reasoning behind the 93% figure used in the UMS autopooling system.

The average best 3 A-level UMS for offers is 95%.
So they say. Will offer rates be down too? It would confirm the universities' point of view.

I doubt the EU applicant success rate will be significantly different. The university's point of view is to encourage not discourage good applicants no matter where they are. Why would it be in their interest to discriminate against EU applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CutieTootsie
Have you seen the borat visits Cambridge video
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

I just watched it and jesus christ I am crying from laughter that was too good hahahhahahaa
I go to college in Cambridge and I think it's gonna take me some time before I can walk past Christ's gate without getting a little sad.
Original post by liziepie
what are the stereotypes about other subjects? : p

Music: practices loudly and annoyingly, usually gay, usually late for things or always absolutely early (there is no in between)

What would the most efficient way to collect people's outcomes and assign them to the post-interview data be do you reckon?
Reply 915
The average best 3 A-level UMS for offers is 95%.

This is what I thought too, but the document jneill linked said it was just over 93%
I've only just realised that matching application outcomes to interview predictions still doesn't confirm if the interview went well or not in Cambridge's opinion.

Someone who rated themselves 1 could have actually done crap but are amazing on paper so would still be given an offer or fished from the pool 👍🏾
I need to stop analysing. My head hurts.
Original post by jneill
I doubt the EU applicant success rate will be significantly different. The university's point of view is to encourage not discourage good applicants no matter where they are. Why would it be in their interest to discriminate against EU applicants?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would give leverage to the political idea that EU students of the best calibre will go elsewhere if Hard Brexit happens.
Original post by Katejcr
I go to college in Cambridge and I think it's gonna take me some time before I can walk past Christ's gate without getting a little sad.

I get this feeling so much but with Oxford.
Original post by liziepie
I just watched it and jesus christ I am crying from laughter that was too good hahahhahahaa

Yeah! But what's with the women aren't as creative as men comment?!?
Dr Ian something-another

Latest

Trending

Trending