The Student Room Group

12 Lead ECG

Hi I'm struggling to understand the Augmented Limb Leads.

When it says for example aVR from left arm and left leg to right arm, does it mean halfway between the left arm and left leg?

Thanks!
Original post by white_o
Hi I'm struggling to understand the Augmented Limb Leads.

When it says for example aVR from left arm and left leg to right arm, does it mean halfway between the left arm and left leg?

Thanks!

Yh the augmented leads are a bit tricky to get your head around. The way that I was taught it is that in the augmented leads, the positive electrode of the lead is the arms or leg, eg in aVR the +ve electrode is the right arm. Now in the classic 3 limb leads, the -ve electrode is usually another arm or leg, but in the augmented leads, the negative electrode is a central terminal created by leads I-III. This central terminal is essentially the midpoints between the electrodes on the limb leads, and at this point the value of the potential is the average of the potentials in the 3 normal limb leads. Idk, it made more sense to me last year, maybe someone else can explain it better!
Reply 2
Original post by AortaStudyMore
Yh the augmented leads are a bit tricky to get your head around. The way that I was taught it is that in the augmented leads, the positive electrode of the lead is the arms or leg, eg in aVR the +ve electrode is the right arm. Now in the classic 3 limb leads, the -ve electrode is usually another arm or leg, but in the augmented leads, the negative electrode is a central terminal created by leads I-III. This central terminal is essentially the midpoints between the electrodes on the limb leads, and at this point the value of the potential is the average of the potentials in the 3 normal limb leads. Idk, it made more sense to me last year, maybe someone else can explain it better!

Great explanation - thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending