The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Original post by G.name
Nobody thinks it is (I hope, at least). But that doesn't mean it can't still be devastating. I mean come on, it's life-changing. And for you to imply it's not, is condescending, when you sit there with your cosy place at whatever college.

Anyone that takes a rejection will of course be in pain. The remedy to that will come in various forms. For one, a contingency plan; another, consolation from a friend; for a third, time perhaps. But platitudes like yours, to me at least, come through impersonal, insincere and aggravating, and in no way help.

I appreciate that you mightn't have intended those effects, but they are the ones that I felt. Of course, I can't speak for everyone though.

G

That was harsh. They were simply kind words from someone who has been in this situation and therefore appreciates how stressful it is.
Original post by Lizzilou99
That was harsh. They were simply kind words from someone who has been in this situation and therefore appreciates how stressful it is.

Lol ikr... didn't even think to respond to them because the post was so pointless. Was trying to figure out if they were 3 or 5 years old
Original post by G.name
Nobody thinks it is (I hope, at least). But that doesn't mean it can't still be devastating. I mean come on, it's life-changing. And for you to imply it's not, is condescending, when you sit there with your cosy place at whatever college.

G

Yes, granted it is easy for me to say that from my position. However, it's also easy for me to see from my position the bigger picture, I have friends at many medical schools around the country, many of whom were also rejected by Oxbridge and is it the end of the world for them? It most certainly isn't. In fact, whilst I love studying here, I'd be lying if there weren't times I wish I was studying at a different, perhaps more "normal" university. Getting into medicine anywhere in the country is an achievement and in the world of medicine, coming from Oxbridge offers you no advantage, wherever you end up you will, most likely, be happy. Sorry that I offended you, but even if the decision on Thursday is not as you hope don't let yourself be beaten up about it too much.
Liz, kind words to you. And I don't argue that; if they've helped you, that's great. I simply told the author how I felt about their comments. On reflection, I admit I made a generalisation when I said that anyone feels pain by rejection. But that was an honest one. The reason to apply is to try to get a place; so I thought any less than that would create disappointment. The further you are in the stages, I thought, may make you care more for the final decision, because by going there, you may naturally elaborate your hopes for studying there. I did anyway.

I really don't think criticising my comments, by using your interpretations, is fair, when I did leave a disclaimer at the end of my message, that I appreciate other people may feel otherwise. I made the kindness to accept your contrary view. Is there no way you can do the same?

Cutie, how can I be tacitly labelled childish for expressing my reaction to someone's remarks? When I reasoned my view and made allowance for different opinions.

And Sulee, how ridiculous a suggestion to hide my feelings? This a forum, 'a meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged'. Call me liberal, but I value freedom to share contrary views.

G
Original post by Whizbox
Yes, granted it is easy for me to say that from my position. However, it's also easy for me to see from my position the bigger picture, I have friends at many medical schools around the country, many of whom were also rejected by Oxbridge and is it the end of the world for them? It most certainly isn't. In fact, whilst I love studying here, I'd be lying if there weren't times I wish I was studying at a different, perhaps more "normal" university. Getting into medicine anywhere in the country is an achievement and in the world of medicine, coming from Oxbridge offers you no advantage, wherever you end up you will, most likely, be happy. Sorry that I offended you, but even if the decision on Thursday is not as you hope don't let yourself be beaten up about it too much.

I agree it's not the end of the world. I've had worse experiences that were closer to it.
"My own opinion is enough for me, and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time. And anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line, and kiss my ass." - C. Hitchens

I'm appalled that you, supposedly intelligent people, by our examining standards, have no scruples to attack me personally, for an opinion I have and to in effect, try to censure me; call me 'childish' and imply the same by saying that I may be '3 or 5'. Or even that I'm 'harsh'. What's more perplexing is that you give no reasons; just build up a chorus of insults and sit there piously, as though I'm the villain.

Of course, this isn't targeted at everyone, equally, e.g. Liz, you only insulted me slightly. The rest that you said about your opinion, I have no issues with; they're quite correct and indeed constructive, if that's how you feel, that Whiz's comments were in a way consoling. For me, they weren't, for reasons I gave, and I expressed that.

And I'd like to add, thank you Whiz, for acting well and within reason, and not deigning to insult me.

Any disinterested observer will see who's really behaved like a child, of between 3 or 5.

G
Original post by G.name
"My own opinion is enough for me, and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time. And anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line, and kiss my ass." - C. Hitchens

I'm appalled that you, supposedly intelligent people, by our examining standards, have no scruples to attack me personally, for an opinion I have and to in effect, try to censure me; call me 'childish' and imply the same by saying that I may be '3 or 5'. Or even that I'm 'harsh'. What's more perplexing is that you give no reasons; just build up a chorus of insults and sit there piously, as though I'm the villain.

Of course, this isn't targeted at everyone, equally, e.g. Liz, you only insulted me slightly. The rest that you said about your opinion, I have no issues with; they're quite correct and indeed constructive, if that's how you feel, that Whiz's comments were in a way consoling. For me, they weren't, for reasons I gave, and I expressed that.

And I'd like to add, thank you Whiz, for acting well and within reason, and not deigning to insult me.

Any disinterested observer will see who's really behaved like a child, of between 3 or 5.

G

Are you done?

Your opinion isn't childish.
The rant is childish.
Original post by Sulee
I love how you took the time, two hours after anything relevant was said, to satiate your own desire by pointlessly aiming a paragraph at us. We reaaaaaally don't care. You seem a bit lonely, try Omegle. I actually hope you get into Cambridge and that I get rejected so I don't even have to associate with anyone like you.

"Get a life" - Sulee

Your posts seem very rude.
Original post by Sulee
I love how you took the time, two hours after anything relevant was said, to satiate your own desire by pointlessly aiming a paragraph at us. We reaaaaaally don't care. You seem a bit lonely, try Omegle. I actually hope you get into Cambridge and that I get rejected so I don't even have to associate with anyone like you.

"Get a life" - Sulee

:/ hey Sulee 👋🏾
Maybe too harsh there. Let's reel it in and support each other!

Having said this, the irony is that someone was trying to be very supportive of us, and then he/she threw it back in their face and was ungrateful and/or arguably rude too

Not sure if I should be defending them 😂
Reply 629
Guys, I think @G.name is just a bit stressed out. It's almost time to hear the outcome of our applications and tensions are running high. Let's just try to be understanding and overlook the little things that we disagree on. It's fine if you don't agree / approve of everything that he has said, but let's just be civil about each other's opinions.

We're all future medics, so let's show a little empathy and kindness. Goodluck to everyone.
Sulee, Cutie, I can see my efforts are leading nowhere. Whatever's happened is over now; I believe I can say no more, to justify myself, before I begin attacking you personally, and that, I refuse to do.

So good luck with your applications! I truly, sincerely, wish you every, single success. 😊

G
Original post by G.name
Sulee, Cutie, I can see my efforts are leading nowhere. Whatever's happened is over now; I believe I can say no more, to justify myself, before I begin attacking you personally, and that, I refuse to do.

So good luck with your applications! I truly, sincerely, wish you every, single success. 😊

G

Honestly, you too. Hope you get what you wish for.
Reply 632
Original post by Whizbox
Good luck guys! Remember getting into Cambridge is not the be all and end all of life!

Thank you! Really important to keep in mind. Any place to study medicine anywhere would be a dream 😇
G just a little tip for your career in medicine, obviously it's fine to use highly sophisticated language in a forum like "Cambridge medics", but just make sure, when the time comes in the not so distant future, you don't do the same to your patients! the reasons why I hope are obvious
:tongue:
So we should be hearing back tomorrow or the next day through the post? Or though an email and track?
Original post by kelzdestadz
So we should be hearing back tomorrow or the next day through the post? Or though an email and track?

Letters are posted on Wednesday and we should get them on Thursday (the 12th). Some colleges email you on the 12th as well.
Original post by platelet
Letters are posted on Wednesday and we should get them on Thursday (the 12th). Some colleges email you on the 12th as well.

Thank you! :smile:
Original post by Lementation
G just a little tip for your career in medicine, obviously it's fine to use highly sophisticated language in a forum like "Cambridge medics", but just make sure, when the time comes in the not so distant future, you don't do the same to your patients! the reasons why I hope are obvious
:tongue:

Your BMAT and grades are fantastic. I'd bet an organ that you're getting an offer on Thursday.
So jealous of your stats!
BTW has no one be invited for reinterview on here?!? That scares me loooool
Reply 639
Original post by CutieTootsie
BTW has no one be invited for reinterview on here?!? That scares me loooool

Medicine applicants are clearly worth/not worth an offer, right from the moment you enter the interview room😅

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending