The Student Room Group

Advice on the move to sixth form? PLEASE HELPP

I am in a situation where I could go to my school's sixth form, but not have any chance to make new friends and none of my friends are going there anyway except maybe one.

Or

I could go a different sixth form with a chance to meet loads of new people, making new friends.

At the moment I only have a couple of friends and virtually never go out because I have no one to go out with.

What do i do?

Thanks to anyone who replies. :smile: :smile:
Original post by Studentflaw
I am in a situation where I could go to my school's sixth form, but not have any chance to make new friends and none of my friends are going there anyway except maybe one.

Or

I could go a different sixth form with a chance to meet loads of new people, making new friends.

At the moment I only have a couple of friends and virtually never go out because I have no one to go out with.

What do i do?

Hiya,

I would go to the place that you think will make you feel happiest - sixth form is so much happier if you have a good supportive group of friends around you! Leaving friends can be difficult but friendships do change and you can still keep in contact. Is there any difference academically between them? :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Hiya,

I would go to the place that you think will make you feel happiest - sixth form is so much happier if you have a good supportive group of friends around you! Leaving friends can be difficult but friendships do change and you can still keep in contact. Is there any difference academically between them? :smile:

Not really they both have great educational systems, but I only have two friends at the moment one is going a completely different college and the other one might or might not go my schools sixth form but I would have no group of friends at all going my school's sixth form.
Not really they both have great educational systems, but I only have two friends at the moment one is going a completely different college and the other one might or might not go my schools sixth form but I would have no group of friends at all going my school's sixth form.

If you're happy about meeting new friends and being in a new environment then it may benefit you to have a fresh start as people won't know you at all. If you do go to uni, this change may make that transition easier later on. :smile:

Or

What do i do?

I would go to the other sixth form, providing that it has your courses and you like it. I went to a college knowing no one because it was the best college and it was the best decision of my life. I have made lots of new friends and even have a best friend for life. I would really recommend starting fresh as it can feel quite liberating and gives you more opportunity.
Reply 5
Original post by VioletPhillippo
If you're happy about meeting new friends and being in a new environment then it may benefit you to have a fresh start as people won't know you at all. If you do go to uni, this change may make that transition easier later on. :smile:

Thank you this helps :smile: :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by rosie.mn
I would go to the other sixth form, providing that it has your courses and you like it. I went to a college knowing no one because it was the best college and it was the best decision of my life. I have made lots of new friends and even have a best friend for life. I would really recommend starting fresh as it can feel quite liberating and gives you more opportunity.

Thank you it is good to hear that you also went somewhere completely new, How did you make new friends? :smile: :smile:
Thank you it is good to hear that you also went somewhere completely new, How did you make new friends? :smile: :smile:

I just talked to people! Chances are everyone will be in the same boat (I guess for me it may have been easier because it's a college not a sixth form it has a massive catchment area so loads of people come alone) but honestly college is so different from high school. You need to talk to people and be friendly, and when you find someone nice and you click, ask to eat lunch together or ask when their frees are so you can hang out.
Reply 8
I just talked to people! Chances are everyone will be in the same boat (I guess for me it may have been easier because it's a college not a sixth form it has a massive catchment area so loads of people come alone) but honestly college is so different from high school. You need to talk to people and be friendly, and when you find someone nice and you click, ask to eat lunch together or ask when their frees are so you can hang out.

Thank you, I think I could possibly make friends on a taster day because they do a taster day of the subjects and the people I would be with.
Thank you, I think I could possibly make friends on a taster day because they do a taster day of the subjects and the people I would be with.

I went to mine. It helps a lot, one of my best friends is the girl I met on my taster day and just stuck with because she was so nice!
I went to mine. It helps a lot, one of my best friends is the girl I met on my taster day and just stuck with because she was so nice!

Thanks, I am just so nervous lol
Thanks, I am just so nervous lol

As was I! It all dissipates on the day don't worry
As was I! It all dissipates on the day don't worry

I think I am just nervous incase I don't make any friends? and also making the right decision.
I think I am just nervous incase I don't make any friends? and also making the right decision.

You will make friends! I promise.
You will make friends! I promise.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Latest