The Student Room Group

Favourite winter meals…

It's lovely and cold outside, cosy and warm inside (I hope!)... it got me thinking...

There seems to be the tradition of eating hearty comfort food during winter, (e.g. soups, stews) and they're perfect for warming you up. Especially after a cold day. :snow:

My question is this... What's your favourite meal to eat when it's freeeeezing cold outside? :hmmm:

Mine is probably lamb tagine. OH MY GOD it's so good. :sogood:

Scroll to see replies

I've said it time and time again.

You can't do any better than a nice creamy mushroom soup with some bread on the side.
Food. Any food.

I'm hungry..
Slow cooked stew and dumplings :awesome:
Pizza. Just give me pizza...
Reply 5
Soup.
It's not at all appropriate but I like ordering Caribbean food in winter as I tend to feel nostalgic during the colder months and it reminds me of my former life.

Original post by Gingerbread101

I thought I was the only one who favoured dumplings over buttered bread :sogood:.
Original post by UWS
Soup.

What kinda soup!

I love a good chicken corn soup, pumpkin + butternut squash, or a bowl of Pho.
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
It's not at all appropriate but I like ordering Caribbean food in winter as I tend to feel nostalgic during the colder months and it reminds me of my former life.

I thought I was the only one who favoured dumplings over buttered bread :sogood:.

I have caribbean all year round. Slow cooked ox tail that melts in your mouth and I absolutely love rice & peas.
Veggie sausages with mash, peas and onion gravy.
Actually mash in general might be the ultimate winter comfort food
Reply 10
Original post by hezzlington
What kinda soup!

I do love a classic tomato soup, or chicken and mushroom :coma:

Minestrone is nice too :yep:
Original post by UWS
I do love a classic tomato soup, or chicken and mushroom :coma:

Minestrone is nice too :yep:

Heinz or home made :wink:
I personally love a bit of soup at this time of year
Reply 13
Heinz or home made :wink:

Well I usually go to a Pret or some other restaurant that makes it. I'd like to assume that it's home made :tongue:
I have Caribbean all year round. Slow cooked ox tail that melts in your mouth and I absolutely love rice & peas.

For Christmas, DMU Gospel Choir put on an event with a carribean company catering.
Buffet style with rice and peas, plain rice, cheesy pasta, jerk chicken, curried goat, fried dumplings, roasted turkey, some sea food and other things I can't remember. Was so good.

If you're feeling lazy the international aisles at supermarkets these days often have soup sachets you can add with hot water to boiling vegetables.
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane
For Christmas, DMU Gospel Choir put on an event with a carribean company catering.
Buffet style with rice and peas, plain rice, cheesy pasta, jerk chicken, curried goat, fried dumplings, roasted turkey, some sea food and other things I can't remember. Was so good.

If you're feeling lazy the international aisles at supermarkets these days often have soup sachets you can add with hot water to boiling vegetables.

When it comes to soup I think made from scratch is always the best way, but it takes a long time so I tend not to bother at all. There's a cool Pho place near uni but it's pretty expensive.
Original post by Paracosm

It's lovely and cold outside, cosy and warm inside (I hope!)... it got me thinking...

There seems to be the tradition of eating hearty comfort food during winter, (e.g. soups, stews) and they're perfect for warming you up. Especially after a cold day. :snow:

My question is this... What's your favourite meal to eat when it's freeeeezing cold outside? :hmmm:

Mine is probably lamb tagine. OH MY GOD it's so good. :sogood:

Omg this thread
Winter
food
2 things I love so much <3

Erm I have lots of favourites!
Soup is a biggie!!!
Recently learnt how to make homeade potato and leek soup which is heavenly with ciabatta :coma: :drool:
I also like tinned mushroom or chicken soup or the sachet vegetable stuff :love:

Curry is great. Really appreciated warm chicken tikka masala today :colondollar:

Strew is great (beef omg)

A birthday present of mine was a panini press, so those too :mmm:

Don't forget a good toastie or some noodles or even pasta

Shepherd's pie is also life

I also make a killer beef carbonade but we have not the time for it :'(

I am so flipping hungry rn
Reply 17
Original post by Gingerbread101

Yum! :yum::yum:
I love preparing the stuff for a stew before I go to bed and leave it on very low all night. It makes the whole house smell delicious :mmm:
I love cooking, even more so since I went vegan, and winter is one of my favourite seasons- just because of the food!

Soup (chipotle vegetable, butternut squash or curried red lentil and coconut) with a nice chunky doorstop of bread
A big bowl of dal with chapati
Bean chilli with lashings of soured "cream" and chunks of avocado
Also can't go wrong with "shepherdless" pie- just replace the lamb with beans and different veggies! (and I also put sweet potato on the top instead!)
Original post by KaylaB
Yum! :yum::yum:
I love preparing the stuff for a stew before I go to bed and leave it on very low all night. It makes the whole house smell delicious :mmm:

We always cook a stew all day Christmas Eve to have that night :love:

Quick Reply

Latest