The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by auburnstar
Music: practices loudly and annoyingly, usually gay, usually late for things or always absolutely early (there is no in between)

Law student stereotypes?
Original post by Bunratty
Law student stereotypes?

Hard-working, quite serious (can be a bit boring), the social science equivalent of a medic
Hard-working, quite serious (can be a bit boring), the social science equivalent of a medic

Serious and boring? I would hope to change that.
I am currently in year 12, hoping to apply to Cambridge for a maths degree next year.

I am in two minds about whether or not to apply to the Sutton Trust and UNIQ summer school; I have am/have been involved with the following:

- Oxford Shadowing Scheme (completed)
- Cambridge Shadowing Scheme (2nd February - 4th)
- Homerton Shadowing Scheme (waiting)
- Oxford Pathways Programme (waiting)

I have already had a taste of university life so is there much point in doing the summer schools? Has anyone else done either the Sutton Trust, UNIQ or Homerton summer schools?

I would really only be applying for it to appear favourable on my application next year.

Thanks
Original post by Aussiebou99999
@jneill I got a call on Friday inviting me for reinterview, and they said they would email me shortly. This email still hasn't come, do you think I should ring them up tomorrow? I am staring to worry they made a mistake!

In the same situation right know, they said they will email me on monday:frown:

Whicch college was it for you?
Original post by Redcoats
I am currently in year 12, hoping to apply to Cambridge for a maths degree next year.

I am in two minds about whether or not to apply to the Sutton Trust and UNIQ summer school; I have am/have been involved with the following:

I have already had a taste of university life so is there much point in doing the summer schools? Has anyone else done either the Sutton Trust, UNIQ or Homerton summer schools?

I would really only be applying for it to appear favourable on my application next year.

Thanks

I've done UNIQ and Sutton Trust at KCL and i'd say definitely apply! even if you've already had uni experience you'll have such a great time it's so fun plus you get free food so why not? :biggrin: i mean you might not get in but you can give it a go anyway.

unless you feel like it'd be fairer to let someone else have the chance in which case youre a very kind person :tongue:
(edited 7 years ago)

Thanks

I understand you are probably being honest (which is a good thing to be) but if that is your motivation you might not get as much out of the summer school as you possibly could. Going to the summer schools you mentioned won't help your application immensely on paper (although it looks better than doing nothing), however what they do give is advice on preparing an application for your subject. In particular I've heard that their resources for interviews are quite helpful for people who haven't had any interview practice at school/college.

In combination with wider reading, attending talks if there are any free ones around, doing projects/having experience (if you have the opportunity), the summer school programs can help esp with regards to advice on how to do this. It's true that the success rate of UNIQ students is higher than average (although by how much I'm not sure), although whether that's because UNIQ applicants are dedicated enough to apply or whether the program is very tailored I'm not sure.

However, as Ruthie said: in the end, it's up to you. I can't speak on the behalf of the summer schools because I didn't attend them. But given their reputation, if you have nothing to lose, you may as well apply
(edited 7 years ago)

Thanks

Apply Apply Apply. Utilise every chance you can get to gain more experience with your subject!
I understand you are probably being honest (which is a good thing to be) but if that is your motivation you might not get as much out of the summer school as you possibly could. Going to the summer schools you mentioned won't help your application immensely on paper (although it looks better than doing nothing), however what they do give is advice on preparing an application for your subject. In particular I've heard that their resources for interviews are quite helpful for people who haven't had any interview practice at school/college.

In combination with wider reading, attending talks if there are any free ones around, doing projects/having experience (if you have the opportunity), the summer school programs can help esp with regards to advice on how to do this. It's true that the success rate of UNIQ students is higher than average (although by how much I'm not sure), although whether that's because UNIQ applicants are dedicated enough to apply or whether the program is very tailored I'm not sure.

However, as Ruthie said: in the end, it's up to you. I can't speak on the behalf of the summer schools because I didn't attend them. But given their reputation, if you have nothing to lose, you may as well apply

Many thanks for your help. UNIQ is not a priority for me; I do not intend on applying to Oxford. Assuming I didn't go to the summer school (I am yet debating such), have I already done enough to warrant a promising application?
Original post by Ruthie2267
I've done UNIQ and Sutton Trust at KCL and i'd say definitely apply! even if you've already had uni experience you'll have such a great time it's so fun plus you get free food so why not? :biggrin: i mean you might not get in but you can give it a go anyway.

unless you feel like it'd be fairer to let someone else have the chance in which case youre a very kind person :tongue:

Scruples were never embeded into my virtues; tis my hamartia!
I'm really worried about my UMS, would they have even invited me to interview if they weren't good enough?

History stereotypes?

Original post by Katejcr
I'm really worried about my UMS, would they have even invited me to interview if they weren't good enough?

That's what I'm wondering...
Many thanks for your help. UNIQ is not a priority for me; I do not intend on applying to Oxford. Assuming I didn't go to the summer school (I am yet debating such), have I already done enough to warrant a promising application?

I don't think there's really any sort of objective "done enough" in an application sense... You will have "done enough" when you have enough to make your personal statement interesting and personal to you. You should know when this is, people still get into Cambridge without doing many, if any, extra curricular things and people still get rejected with lots of them. Overall, with what you have done already it does seem like you will be making a promising application but keep in mind extra-curriculars are just one aspect

If you're really applying to a subject you love going on a summer school should be fun and I don't see why you wouldn't apply especially when it's free. Also, don't worry about UNIQ being Oxford orientated it really wasn't and basically every resource they give to help with applications were applicable to Oxbridge and all universities in general.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by SteamboatMickey
Okay I need some cheering up. Guess who completely failed a mock. I feel so un-me right now. That mock exam went so badly. :frown:

Don't worry, so did I! Despite what teachers say, it's okay to have a bad day and never to late to turn things around

Posted from TSR Mobile
Scruples were never embeded into my virtues; tis my hamartia!

:wink:

I mean, I'd say you've got enough stuff to make a really good application already if you didn't want to do the summer schools - it's certainly much more than what a lot of people have. But I also think you should seize as many opportunities as you can. I'm not entirely sure what shadowing schemes entail, but do they actually offer you a taste of what being taught your subject will be like, or is it literally "shadowing"? :biggrin:

honestly, half of the reasons why I loved the summer schools I went on was because of the experience - not only did it break up the monotony of the summer holidays (and took my mind off of results day!) but I made some really good friends who I still talk to (like @domaths but certainly not you @FrenchNerd2 , you don't count anymore :wink: ).

I'd suggest applying, then if you don't get a place - no harm done, and if you do and you realise you don't want it you can always turn it down and it gets given to someone else. And I ended up applying to Cambridge even after going to UNIQ so that doesnt really matter either :P

but seriously dude... free stuff whilst experiencing the subject you love? there's not much better tbh. (if you do decide to do Sutton Trust KCL has the hands down best evening activities... the Cambridge lot did punting - we got to go on the London Eye :wink: )

(also there are certain benefits to doing sutton trust often the uni you do it at will give you reduced offers etc if you apply there which is nice :biggrin: )
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 935
Original post by Katejcr
I go to college in Cambridge and I think it's gonna take me some time before I can walk past Christ's gate without getting a little sad.

Attachment not found
Original post by HolyRomanEmpire
History stereotypes?

(This is going off of two boys I know doing history at my sixth form so bias)

Wears tweed, a bit over-confident, argumentative/debate type, doesn't do essays until 3 minutes before the deadline, drinks a lot - both socially and to prevent essay crisis.
Original post by domaths
I don't think there's really any sort of objective "done enough" in an application sense... You will have "done enough" when you have enough to make your personal statement interesting and personal to you. You should know when this is, people still get into Cambridge without doing many, if any, extra curricular things and people still get rejected with lots of them. Overall, with what you have done already it does seem like you will be making a promising application but keep in mind extra-curriculars are just one aspect

If you're really applying to a subject you love going on a summer school should be fun and I don't see why you wouldn't apply especially when it's free. Also, don't worry about UNIQ being Oxford orientated it really wasn't and basically every resource they give to help with applications were applicable to Oxbridge and all universities in general.

Thank you so much. I apologise if I came across rather brash and naive in my terminology. I shall heed your advice and I'd better get my bags packed; I have summer school to go to!
Music: practices loudly and annoyingly, usually gay, usually late for things or always absolutely early (there is no in between)

Linguistics stereotypes? I know it's a small subject so it might not really have a stereotype - if so how about MML stereotypes?
Original post by Ruthie2267
:wink:

I mean, I'd say you've got enough stuff to make a really good application already if you didn't want to do the summer schools - it's certainly much more than what a lot of people have. But I also think you should seize as many opportunities as you can. I'm not entirely sure what shadowing schemes entail, but do they actually offer you a taste of what being taught your subject will be like, or is it literally "shadowing"? :biggrin:

honestly, half of the reasons why I loved the summer schools I went on was because of the experience - not only did it break up the monotony of the summer holidays (and took my mind off of results day!) but I made some really good friends who I still talk to (apart from you @FrenchNerd2 , you don't count anymore :wink: ).

I'd suggest applying, then if you don't get a place - no harm done, and if you do and you realise you don't want it you can always turn it down and it gets given to someone else.

but seriously dude... free stuff whilst experiencing the subject you love? there's not much better tbh. (if you do decide to do Sutton Trust KCL has the hands down best evening activities... the Cambridge lot did punting - we got to go on the London Eye :wink: )

(also there are certain benefits to doing sutton trust often the uni you do it at will give you reduced offers etc if you apply there which is nice :biggrin: )

punting was actually really good! Does the reduced offer thing apply to Cambridge Sutton trust people applying to Cambridge or Is that wishful thinking?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Latest

Trending

Trending