The Student Room Group

Meryl Streep criticizes Trump during acceptance speech

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fullofsurprises
In a democracy? No way. In the neo-fascist state that Trump supporters and their sad little wannabee UKIP fellow travellers support? Apparently.

Original post by Lh030396
It's perfectly acceptable for her to express her opinions publicly. Trump may not have encroached on the acting profession but he arguably encroached on the human rights of a disabled citizen. Streep has every right to speak out against this.

In a democracy she is free to say what she wants but it doesn't mean everybody has to agree with her saying it.

It's like like if a teacher spent the whole of parents evening talking about Trump rather than children the parents had come to talk about. Is it legal? Yes. Are teachers free to express their opinions publicly? Yes. Is it unprofessional and inappropriate? Yes. There is a time and a place.

I do think celebrities should keep quiet on politics in general though. She should be humble enough to recognise that she has her platform for her acting. Everybody has got an opinion and hers is no more important than the next person's. I've got an opinion but I understand that the whole world doesn't give a **** what I think.

What she has said has been said before. What is she hoping to achieve by this intervention? What makes her think she is so important that the world is going to sit up and listen now that it has been said by her? It's a display of grandiosity that I find deeply unpleasant.
Original post by Sternumator
In a democracy she is free to say what she wants but it doesn't mean everybody has to agree with her saying it.

It's like like if a teacher spent the whole of parents evening talking about Trump rather than children the parents had come to talk about. Is it legal? Yes. Are teachers free to express their opinions publicly? Yes. Is it unprofessional and inappropriate? Yes. There is a time and a place.

I do think celebrities should keep quiet on politics in general though. She should be humble enough to recognise that she has her platform for her acting. Everybody has got an opinion and hers is no more important than the next person's. I've got an opinion but I understand that the whole world doesn't give a **** what I think.

What she has said has been said before. What is she hoping to achieve by this intervention? What makes her think she is so important that the world is going to sit up and listen now that it has been said by her? It's a display of grandiosity that I find deeply unpleasant.

You don't have to pay attention. In a democracy, people can say stuff. I think what you're actually trying to do though is no-platform people who don't like Trump.
Original post by Dodgypirate
If you had bothered to carry out your own research on the whole "bullied a disabled reporter" claim, you would have discovered its falsehood.

Trump's mannerism is actually one of his quirks.

Here is a video from Fox News. It shows Trump making the very same gesticulations when criticising a US general, Senator Ted Cruz, and others.

[video="youtube;CsaB3ynIZH4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsaB3ynIZH4[/video]

And let me remind you that CNN was at the very forefront of the accusations towards Trump - the same news network that claimed the 4 black thugs/torturers were simply poor-educated kids and that we shouldn't coin the incident as a hate crime.

How dumb are you to actually compare that and claim its a mannerism. Deluded one. :rolleyes:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 63
Meryl Streep? Overrated. Been in what, 3 movies? 4 tops? Sad. I was in Home Alone 2. Killed it. Great cameo. I help Kevin
Original post by nutz99
Its an opinion. There is no right or wrong. In my opinion this was the wrong time and place to bring this up.

Also in my opinion Trump did nothing wrong in the way he did an impression of that reporter. The idiotic PC brigade are effectively saying its ok to mimic anyone except if they are disabled. A disabled person has no more rights than a non-disabled person. No-one would be batting an eyelid if he had mimicked Clinton for example.

Your opinion is wrong.
Original post by Lh030396
I'm sorry but I disagree with you completely!! Trump mocking Hilary is nowhere near the same as him mocking a disabled person. Trump criticised Clinton for her opinions and actions, both of which Clinton has control over. A disabled person has little to no control over their mental and/or physical disability. Therefore, it is sickening and unjustified to berate them over something they have no control over. It's quite shocking that you would think that there are no distinctions between the two!!

I'm not certain he was mocking the disabled reporter. He does those hand movements all the time; it's part of his moronic public speaking routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aYFC_7ZIn4
Reply 66
Original post by thatswrong.
Your opinion is wrong.

Username checks out.
Original post by macromicro
I'm not certain he was mocking the disabled reporter. He does those hand movements all the time; it's part of his moronic public speaking routine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aYFC_7ZIn4

More delusion :rofl:
Im still shocked that people can be stupid enough to think that what trump did was anything short of mockery.

Note: Saying Trump moves his hands around is not an argument. They audience laughed, he exaggerated his gesture and continued even after he realised it was mockery.

She had every right to use her platform to criticise Trump and remind everyone that that is the sort of moron they will be having as a president.
Original post by TheLittlestElf
How dumb are you to actually compare that and claim its a mannerism. Deluded one. :rolleyes:

Well comparing things is a good thing, don't you think? Instead of jumping on the bandwagon and accusing Trump without any foundations - which is what CNN and most of mainstream did, and what you're blindly following.

I've watched the alleged "insult" many times, and I've also paid attention to what Trump said, rather than what he did. Nothing told me that he was making the mannerisms because the reporter is disabled, Trump was criticising how bad of a reporter he has become.
Reply 71
Dodgypirate seems to be talking out of his ass... :K:
Im still shocked that people can be stupid enough to think that what trump did was anything short of mockery.

Note: Saying Trump moves his hands around is not an argument. They audience laughed, he exaggerated his gesture and continued even after he realised it was mockery.

She had every right to use her platform to criticise Trump and remind everyone that that is the sort of moron they will be having as a president.

He was mocking the reporters skills, or his lack of, not because he's disabled lol
Original post by Bryci
Dodgypirate seems to be talking out of his ass... :K:

Do I give a damn what you think?

You haven't provided an argument against it. Throwing around ad hominems while being unable to impartially analyse says more of you than anyone. I was vocally against Trump during the run-up; that doesn't mean everything he does is wrong. You need to remain rational and not succumb to bias. I didn't say Trump was in the clear; I said I'm not certain he was mocking the disabled reporter due to his similar hand movements in the past during public speaking. Trump is a moron but I don't think even he would purposely mock a disabled person during a recorded party rally. It seems more reasonable that he was ignorant of who the reporter actually was and what he looked like. He's not exactly known for doing his homework.
He was mocking the reporters skills, or his lack of, not because he's disabled lol

He mocked him by imitating his chronic condition and distorting his voice. Do try and read what I said.
Original post by macromicro
You haven't provided an argument against it. Throwing around ad hominems while being unable to impartially analyse says more of you than anyone. I was vocally against Trump during the run-up; that doesn't mean everything he does is wrong. You need to remain rational and not succumb to bias. I didn't say Trump was in the clear; I said I'm not certain he was mocking the disabled reporter due to his similar hand movements in the past during public speaking. Trump is a moron but I don't think even he would purposely mock a disabled person during a recorded party rally. It seems more reasonable that he was ignorant of who the reporter actually was and what he looked like. He's not exactly known for doing his homework.

Saying you're vocally against him doesn't strengthen your argument.

He's made similar hand movements but he does seem to clutch his hand more when he was mocking the reporter which further resembles that of the reporter. The movements actually lasted longer when you can hear audible laughing.

Another argument that is complete bs. Trump could not possibly have not known who this guy was and his condition since he was directly making fun of his journalism skills. That's fine, mocking his chronic condition isnt.
He mocked him by imitating his chronic condition and distorting his voice. Do try and read what I said.

Copy and paste what he SAID and THEN look at what he does. He was taking the piss out of the reporter because of poor reporting skills, that's all.
Original post by Fullofsurprises

I wonder which is more credible - that Streep is overrated, or that Trump is a complete and utter jerk?

Three people know the answer to this. One is dead, another is mad and I've forgotten.
Copy and paste what he SAID and THEN look at what he does. He was taking the piss out of the reporter because of poor reporting skills, that's all.

If you're going to look at the face of it all, Trump was visibly shaking his hand in a motion similar to that of the disabled reporter. That is mockery, added to the distorted voice.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending