The Student Room Group

I'm the only student in his class!

Hey guys,

For my own reasons, I won't specify what kind of qualification I am taking.

In my class, only 4 of the students are taking the higher qualification, including me, so we have a separate class after everyone else leaves.

The only problem is that the other 3 students rarely turn up! So I am usually the only one there and it's really awkward for me. I get really nervous because the door isn't open and although the only time my teacher sits next to me is to explain the work, I get really worried.

I feel like I am a bit paranoid because of the whole male teacher/female student situation and I don't know what to do! He's a good guy really and very professional. It worries me everyday and I feel a bit relieved typing this out.

Please give me some advice!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Bump
Original post by Anonymous
Hey guys,

In my class, only 4 of the students are taking the higher qualification, including me, so we have a separate class after everyone else leaves.

The only problem is that the other 3 students rarely turn up! So I am usually the only one there and it's really awkward for me. I get really nervous because the door isn't open and although the only time my teacher sits next to me is to explain the work, I get really worried.

I feel like I am a bit paranoid because of the whole male teacher/female student situation and I don't know what to do! He's a good guy really and very professional. It worries me everyday and I feel a bit relieved typing this out.

I can't help dear, but this sounds like a good basis for an erotic fanfic! Tell me dear, have you heard of Tumblr?
Hey guys,

I was the only one in my A2 Biology class because everyone either dropped out after AS or were retaking AS Biology. It was funny because I had two teachers too!!

I would't worry too much about it unless your issues gets serious (then talk to your teachers about it). It will be awkward at first but I got used to it after a while and treated it like any other class. In fact what was great was that we went through the content really fast at my own pace which meant that I had lots of revision time before the exam.
To be honest the only one who should be worrying here is him! The chances that your male teacher does something untoward are extremely small and really not worth worrying about. Personally I never wanted to be alone with a student with the door closed as I think it leaves you vulnerable as a teacher, but it depends a little on the classroom, if there are lots of windows so it's easy to see in then it's much safer for him. Try and think of the positives, being the only student means you get to go at the perfect pace for you and the perfect level and anytime you need extra help you'll definitely get it.
Reply 5
Original post by doodle_333
x

Original post by DrAdrenaline
x

Thank you guys, I do feel a lot better even though I question the fact that the door is closed. Should I point it out to him next time or would that make things awkward?
Thank you guys, I do feel a lot better even though I question the fact that the door is closed. Should I point it out to him next time or would that make things awkward?

I don't think you need to worry, it's probably force of habit/noise reasons. If it makes you uncomfortable though you can say 'can we leave the door open since it's only the two of us' - but be prepared to have a conversation about his concerns + yes it may make things awkward!
Original post by Popsiclez
I can't help dear, but this sounds like a good basis for an erotic fanfic! Tell me dear, have you heard of Tumblr?

:facepalm2:
If he tries anything, he gets fired; simple as. I wouldn't worry too much.
Reply 9
It's people like you that make me worried about becoming a male Biology teacher. I don't understand why 1 to 1 teaching would "worry" you... I don't think people understand that being a male doesn't automatically mean he intrinsically wants to molest you.

Would you act the same with with a male doctor?
Would you act the same with a male dentist?
Would you act the same with a male nurse?
And worse of all - how would you act if your male boss wanted to see you for a 1 to 1 meeting. Would you really say "Oh can you open the door I'm worried you'll molest me".

How do you think the teacher would feel if he knew you constantly worried about the idea of him being inappropriate with you, when clearly he just wants to teach you the subject he's spent years and years studying. . . all those years of studying and training to become a teacher to then be treated like a child molester.

Sorry it just angers me beyond belief. It's also the exact same reason that I have chosen not to become a primary school teacher, because of this huge unreasonable stigma.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Take advantage of that and ask, ask, ask, it's better that way at least you won't feel embarrassed asking them silly ass questions. Bare in mind that when you feel awkward, he probably does too, there are many instances in life where people feel lonely in their thoughts, you're not alone, believe you me!
Original post by AshEntropy
It's people like you that make me worried about becoming a male Biology teacher. I don't understand why 1 to 1 teaching would "worry" you... I don't think people understand that being a male doesn't automatically mean he intrinsically wants to molest you.

How do you think the teacher would feel if he knew you constantly worried about the idea of him being inappropriate with you, when clearly he just wants to teach you the subject he's spent years and years studying. . . all those years of studying and training to become a teacher to then be treated like a child molester.

Sorry it just angers me beyond belief. It's also the exact same reason that I have chosen not to become a primary school teacher, because of this huge unreasonable stigma.

As much as I agree with what you're saying, instead of getting angry at the OP, I'd get angry with the people who have been inappropriate towards their students, and caused this fear in young people. Although the chances are slim, things can still happen. People do have a right to feel uncomfortable, however unfair it might be towards others in the teaching profession
(edited 7 years ago)
The epitome of modern society, worried about being in the same room as a male cause he could be a pedo. Rolls Eyes

I don't worry that he will be inappropriate with me - I know he's a good person and I respect him. I am concerned about the way it looks to an outsider i.e. if another member of staff comes in. The room is kind of isolated too and there's rarely students or staff around the time my class is on.

I'm really sorry if my post upset you. I didn't mean anything bad about it, it was my own personal problem I wanted some advice on.
Original post by Venatal
Take advantage of that and ask, ask, ask, it's better that way at least you won't feel embarrassed asking them silly ass questions. Bare in mind that when you feel awkward, he probably does too, there are many instances in life where people feel lonely in their thoughts, you're not alone, believe you me!

LOL I always ask questions!
Reply 15
I don't worry that he will be inappropriate with me - I know he's a good person and I respect him. I am concerned about the way it looks to an outsider i.e. if another member of staff comes in. The room is kind of isolated too and there's rarely students or staff around the time my class is on.

I'm really sorry if my post upset you. I didn't mean anything bad about it, it was my own personal problem I wanted some advice on.

...???
But that member of staff will see it as him teaching you your subject? I mean, just think of it as having your own private tutor. He went through an Advanced Disclosure to be able to teach, gone to child protection courses, had it drilled into his head how to be appropriate with students. Other teachers will have gone through the exact same procedure and will perfectly understand there is nothing wrong with being in the same room with a student, teaching them.
...???
But that member of staff will see it as him teaching you your subject? I mean, just think of it as having your own private tutor. He went through an Advanced Disclosure to be able to teach, gone to child protection courses, had it drilled into his head how to be appropriate with students. Other teachers will have gone through the exact same procedure and will perfectly understand there is nothing wrong with being in the same room with a student, teaching them.

Yes I realise this but I can't stop the worrying. That's why I came on here to get some advice on dealing with that :smile:
Reply 17
That's good when I was in sixth form I remember staying behind with my biology teacher after school for one on ones which lasted close to an hour. At first, I felt the same but more in the sense that I found her KabOOOOM! But after about a week or so I relaxed and all was good, there isn't anything to worry about you have TSR here to back you up in anything does happen anyway.
#KeyBoardWarriors FTW
You're overthinking this.

No-one will care.
Yes I realise this but I can't stop the worrying. That's why I came on here to get some advice on dealing with that :smile:

I don't think being the only person in class with a teacher from opposite sex is something to really worry about because of points mentioned by Ash; it's unlikely that the teacher will do anything to you or will other people find it awkward/suspicious. However, I think It's perfectly fine and normal that you are worrying. It may be because of past bad experiences or the certain thoughts that you have in the class, but it is how you feel, and you do not own anyone any explanation to why you are feeling this way.

I am not an expert or in a position to give any advices, but what may help is to question your thoughts and realise that the thoughts that you are having are either simply not true or just silly. More normal lessons with him and time may reinforce the absurdity of your thoughts and you will hopefully be alright with it after a while. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending