The Student Room Group

No motivation to revise

How do I go about getting motivation to revise for my uni exams cause I just have none right now
I keep watching documentaries on YouTube like I watched this one today about these boys competing for a scholarship at harrow which is just random and I should've been using that time to actually do work and I feel guilty about it yet I will still continue watching it
Original post by fefssdf
How do I go about getting motivation to revise for my uni exams cause I just have none right now
I keep watching documentaries on YouTube like I watched this one today about these boys competing for a scholarship at harrow which is just random and I should've been using that time to actually do work and I feel guilty about it yet I will still continue watching it

Two things I would suggest - force yourself to study. You can apply pressure to yourself by looking at your timetable or a past paper and going 'oops.. I don't know how to do this but there is time to study'. Get into the habit and you will find it slightly easier if it becomes a routine.

The other thing is to reward yourself with things like documentaries etc after you do step 1 :smile:

Good luck - been there as a maths student with 0 motivation, it is almost scary when you realise you should care but you don't.
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Two things I would suggest - force yourself to study. You can apply pressure to yourself by looking at your timetable or a past paper and going 'oops.. I don't know how to do this but there is time to study'. Get into the habit and you will find it slightly easier if it becomes a routine.

The other thing is to reward yourself with things like documentaries etc after you do step 1 :smile:

Good luck - been there as a maths student with 0 motivation, it is almost scary when you realise you should care but you don't.

Ah I guess so I mean tomorrow I've said to myself I will do revision ; thing is what I struggle with is the fact that there's hardly any past papers available for my modules and I've already done like 2/3 for each module and so now it's like how do I revise other than just copying out lecture notes like I just sort of sit there thinking what am I actually supposed to be doing cause one module is mostly proofs and I can just copy out the proofs in the lecture notes and try and memorise them but then in the exam they ask you to proof something which isn't in the notes like it'll be based on the definitions like idk man it just seems like I'm struggling to find motivation to revise cause I doubt the work will actuallt pay off
Original post by fefssdf
Ah I guess so I mean tomorrow I've said to myself I will do revision ; thing is what I struggle with is the fact that there's hardly any past papers available for my modules and I've already done like 2/3 for each module and so now it's like how do I revise other than just copying out lecture notes like I just sort of sit there thinking what am I actually supposed to be doing cause one module is mostly proofs and I can just copy out the proofs in the lecture notes and try and memorise them but then in the exam they ask you to proof something which isn't in the notes like it'll be based on the definitions like idk man it just seems like I'm struggling to find motivation to revise cause I doubt the work will actuallt pay off

The thing with maths though, the biggest lesson that you'll learn in 1st year is that you can never leave things till the last minute (this is what I did in second year tbh, whereas I was fine in 1st year :erm:)

You're right, it's actually quite frustrating that past papers aren't available in vast quantities for each module and you look at a question that asks you to prove something and you go 'wait, we never learnt that.. how would I possibly do that' which, to be able to do, honestly can't be crammed but just takes time to understand the proofs (rather than memorise them) and to do and redo problem sheets and past papers where these skills are challenged (and seek extension material if appropriate...)

Of course this is sod all of use to you now but just something to keep in mind for next semester. Because you can pull it back.
Reply 4
Original post by fefssdf

I feel you. I haven't started geometry and my exam for it is in 3 days :colondollar:

The only way is to force yourself, or maybe even try reading up interesting facts about the module you're doing to feel a little inspiration to do work.
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
The thing with maths though, the biggest lesson that you'll learn in 1st year is that you can never leave things till the last minute (this is what I did in second year tbh, whereas I was fine in 1st year :erm:)

You're right, it's actually quite frustrating that past papers aren't available in vast quantities for each module and you look at a question that asks you to prove something and you go 'wait, we never learnt that.. how would I possibly do that' which, to be able to do, honestly can't be crammed but just takes time to understand the proofs (rather than memorise them) and to do and redo problem sheets and past papers where these skills are challenged (and seek extension material if appropriate...)

Of course this is sod all of use to you now but just something to keep in mind for next semester. Because you can pull it back.

I still have 2 weeks till the pure exam so I guess there is some hope but yh like you said I need to actually understand the proofs rather than just memorise them but trouble is I find it really hard to actually grasp the concepts like especially things like prove whether some union of sets is countable and I'm just like wtf or stuff to do with surjections and injections like even asking watching various YouTube videos explaining what these things mean I just don't get it still and thus I tend to just give up
I think the fact I'm considering dropping out at the end of this year anyways makes me think why I should bother to put the time in. I didn't have any motivation during the semester to do work when I was at uni and now I'm at home for a bit I still can't muster up the motivation

I'll report back my marks for this module when they come lmao
Reply 6
Original post by kkboyk
I feel you. I haven't started geometry and my exam for it is in 3 days :colondollar:

The only way is to force yourself, or maybe even try reading up interesting facts about the module you're doing to feel a little inspiration to do work.

Ah sounds awful :/ I hate geometry
The idea of looking for interesting facts is a good idea I might go on YouTube and see if I can find some interesting videos related to the topic so at least then I can sit on YouTube and feel somewhat less guilty
https://getcoldturkey.com

Download that program, it blocks a list of websites till a time of your choosing, you can add websites to this list
Reply 8
Original post by fefssdf
Ah sounds awful :/ I hate geometry
The idea of looking for interesting facts is a good idea I might go on YouTube and see if I can find some interesting videos related to the topic so at least then I can sit on YouTube and feel somewhat less guilty

Have you went through the Notts Maths lectures playlist on YouTube? I watch it with music, and it helps at times.
Original post by fefssdf
I still have 2 weeks till the pure exam so I guess there is some hope but yh like you said I need to actually understand the proofs rather than just memorise them but trouble is I find it really hard to actually grasp the concepts like especially things like prove whether some union of sets is countable and I'm just like wtf or stuff to do with surjections and injections like even asking watching various YouTube videos explaining what these things mean I just don't get it still and thus I tend to just give up
I think the fact I'm considering dropping out at the end of this year anyways makes me think why I should bother to put the time in. I didn't have any motivation during the semester to do work when I was at uni and now I'm at home for a bit I still can't muster up the motivation

I'll report back my marks for this module when they come lmao

Can 100% relate and you have my utter sympathy. I can't grasp these concepts in pure at all, anything to do with sets or unfamiliar series or anything like that I just can't get my head around, nor figure out why.. which is why I like applied maths :tongue:

Literally, I had a resit that I had to do (:hide:) and I had the paper in front of me and 4 weeks to complete it or whatever. Most of the questions were fine when I combined knowledge from lecture notes and problem sheets, however there was one question where nothing, no amount of googling or lecture notes or problem sheet turned up anything remotely similar and I could not complete the question :hide: and I genuinely thought I was going to fail the resit because of it, it is just terrible when you can't get something and don't know why :hide:

But anyway these things take time and youtube videos certainly help, and seeing examples.

Good luck for this year anyway :redface: and old habits die hard - try from week 1 this time :smile:
Reply 10
Original post by Miser101
https://getcoldturkey.com

Download that program, it blocks a list of websites till a time of your choosing, you can add websites to this list

I'm gonnanoook at this tomorrow ; thanks
I might also consider deliberately entering the wrong password on my phone so I can block myself out of it cause if I can't use my phone then I might be more inclined to work
Reply 11
Original post by kkboyk
Have you went through the Notts Maths lectures playlist on YouTube? I watch it with music, and it helps at times.

I might have a look at them videos actually but it's weird cause some of them lecturers I actually know now and I kinda don't wanna be reminded of them lmao
Reply 12
Original post by SeanFM
Can 100% relate and you have my utter sympathy. I can't grasp these concepts in pure at all, anything to do with sets or unfamiliar series or anything like that I just can't get my head around, nor figure out why.. which is why I like applied maths :tongue:

Literally, I had a resit that I had to do (:hide:) and I had the paper in front of me and 4 weeks to complete it or whatever. Most of the questions were fine when I combined knowledge from lecture notes and problem sheets, however there was one question where nothing, no amount of googling or lecture notes or problem sheet turned up anything remotely similar and I could not complete the question :hide: and I genuinely thought I was going to fail the resit because of it, it is just terrible when you can't get something and don't know why :hide:

But anyway these things take time and youtube videos certainly help, and seeing examples.

Good luck for this year anyway :redface: and old habits die hard - try from week 1 this time :smile:

Ah thanks see trouble is I really studying with the applied side of things to ; I pretty much hate every single module I'm doing like it just seems so dull and pointless

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending