The Student Room Group

Lecturers with foreign accents

Why do they whine so much when their students can't understand the content when it's so obvious what the cause is? We have enough time trying to decipher what the hell it is they're saying before actually getting to the problems at hand.

Should unis pay for elocution lessons for lecturers with foreign accents?
Reply 1
Original post by Mistletoe
Why do they whine so much when their students can't understand the content when it's so obvious what the cause is? We have enough time trying to decipher what the hell it is they're saying before actually getting to the problems at hand.

Should unis pay for elocution lessons for lecturers with foreign accents?

Why just foreign? Why not Scottish, or Yorkshire, or Liverpool?

You're just being racist.
Original post by Juno
Why just foreign? Why not Scottish, or Yorkshire, or Liverpool?

You're just being racist.

Lmao
One of my profs is foreign but he's a researcher with lot of papers published, and he's an expect in course i'm studying and the area I want to go into. Folks who don't like his accent can leave the course - which means I get more of his time. Result!
Not really, you're just racist.
It's a complete disservice to students that they have to be taught by people who can hardly speak a lick of the English language. Let them get on with their research, by all means, but at least hire some actual native English speakers to do the teaching.
Reply 6
The OP has a point as many students struggle to understand profs' foreign accents. I remember some were notorious and TAs were equally challenging. Unis make TAs and profs take presentations seminars to enhance their skills.

Quick Reply

Latest