The Student Room Group

What shops/brands do you miss?

Every year more and more brands and shops seem to be disappearing off our high streets, most recently BHS.

What shops or brands to you miss? What shops do you think might be next to disappear from our towns?

For me, its got to be Tammy Girl. I know I'm 24 and no longer a teen but their clothes were really cool imo and I haven't grown much since my teen days so I could maybe still fit into some of their stuff if they were still around:colondollar:

I also miss Woolworths but Wilko has pretty much become the new Woolworths

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Somerfield, who remembers that? Safeway too...
Anyone remember? More of a 90s kids thing really but:

Adam's :love:
Reply 4
Original post by UWS
Somerfield, who remembers that? Safeway too...

I remember both of those :teehee: did Morrisons take over Safeway? The old Safeway in my town became Morrisons
Reply 5
gamestation
Reply 6
Anyone remember C&A? :teehee:

I also miss Ethel Austin, Be Wise, What Everyone Wants :tongue:
Nah I don't miss any of them. They closed down because of a lack of customers usually anyway, so people don't exactly miss them
BHS mostly and somerfield, it used to be at the local shopping centre and it's been replaced with iceland lol :u:
Woolworths and Kwik save
Reply 10
Yip there was one in my local shopping centre about 15/20 years ago :colondollar: my mum always used to get my little party dresses and hair bands in there :teehee:
Reply 11
RIP 99p stores which were bought out by poundland.
Blockbuster was probably the most impactful for me. Ironically they actually had the opportunity to buy Netflix around 2000 but decided not to. Less than a decade later and Netflix had decapitated them.

Netto was a loss albeit they are going to re-enter the market.

Borders went bust in 2009. Used to love going to the Starbucks in there and it was open until 10pm in Birstall.

Also interesting to see how shops can change. I went into WhSmith today which used to be a big stationary player but it is now basically a Waterstrone's with a large magazine section and a worse book collection (cornering the newsagent market though, profit is pretty good).

Iceland used to be awful and barely better than Jack Fulton's but its actually a brilliant supermarket now.
Woolworths
Adams
Ethel austins
Safeway
The disney store ... is it still around?
Reply 14
I forgot about Adams! I loved that shop as a kid. Same with Early Learning Centre, do you remember that shop?

Yeah Disney stores are still around :smile:
Original post by Spock's Socks
I forgot about Adams! I loved that shop as a kid. Same with Early Learning Centre, do you remember that shop?

Yeah Disney stores are still around :smile:

Yeahh i used to go into ELC just to play lol :lol:
This calls for a trip to a Disney store :biggrin:
Netto. :h:
Reply 17
Bay, Internacionale, Index :cry2:
Rebel rebel and Woolworths 🤗

Posted from TSR Mobile
My local bakery. In year 6 there was always a mad rush before school started to buy a mr blobby cake. They were so good. :coma:

It is a cafe now, boo hiss.

Quick Reply

Latest