The Student Room Group

Demand for White philosophers to be banned

But the Jewish ones all remain...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What...?
University of London students want the likes of Plato, Kant, Aristotle removed because they are White.

White people = European descent.

Jews can be pale skinned and therefore seen as White, but they are not White they are Jews aren't they? how hard is this for people to understand?

I guarantee these people are MARXISTS.
Original post by Tootles
What...?

Well he is just exaggerating some true points:

- In American universities its common to promote "progressivism" by saying "bash dead white men"

- There is also a Harvard Professor called Noel Ignatiev who says that white people need to be abolished.

It is common for people to be in disbelief or denial of these but googling will relevant the official sources.

Posted from TSR Mobile
european jews are white, yes.
if not, that's like saying slavs aren't white. they literally are.
it would be like saying hutus and tutsis were "black and something else".
nah. they were both black.
Reply 5
https://www.rt.com/uk/373042-white-philosophers-students-demand/

University of London students are demanding that thinkers such as Plato, Aristotle, Voltaire, and Immanuel Kant be banned from the philosophy syllabus... because they are white.

UK media quotes students from the University of London’s School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) as saying that “the majority of philosophers on our courses” should be from Africa and Asia.

A statement from the students’ union added that banning white philosophers should be part of a wider campaign to “decolonize” the university and “address the structural and epistemological legacy of colonialism.”

“White philosophers” should be on the syllabus only “if required,” and their work should be studied from a “critical standpoint,” the statement said, as cited by British media.

“For example, acknowledging the colonial context in which so-called ‘Enlightenment’ philosophers wrote within,” it elaborated.

Many scholars have been outraged by the demand, warning that the situation could spiral out of control.

Oh my God I want to bang my head against a brick wall these people literally deserve involuntary euthanasia.
Honestly, this is ridiculous.

You'd think with the quality of discussion that takes place on here, the fascists might quote some more complex conspiracy theories and slander from the likes of David Duke, Kevin MacDonald or Richard Spencer. At least then we'd have something to discuss (and debunk!)

But no, just keyboard warriors on dupe accounts.
Reply 8
Original post by Inexorably

Oh my God I want to bang my head against a brick wall these people literally deserve involuntary euthanasia.

Absolute morons.

They are cancer. Why would you want to do a philosophy degree if you flat out refuse to acknowledge the true greats? I can't even think of one non-white philosopher.
(edited 7 years ago)
The reporting of this is total ********. Students at specifically SOAS are protesting at the amount of European Philosophy taught on the new BA in 'World Philosophy' being offered at specifically that institution. They want that what is marketed as a niche degree should honour the labelling.

Seems fair enough. If I went to SOAS to study World Literatures and the semester 1 reading list was Austen and the Brontes, I'd be peeved.
Remove great historical figures from the sylbus because of the colour of their skin?
Did someone call for racism?

Calm down mein fuhrer. :tongue:
"UK media quotes students from the University of London’s School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) as saying that “the majority of philosophers on our courses” should be from Africa and Asia."

Is this not a reasonable request coming from SOAS? It's kind of in the name isn't it?
Original post by Len Goodman
They are cancer. Why would you want to do a philosophy degree if you flat out refuse to acknowledge the true greats? I can't even think of one non-white philosopher.

Perhaps that's the point? :tongue:
Original post by Len Goodman

Confucius?
Original post by 0xFFFFail
"UK media quotes students from the University of London’s School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) as saying that “the majority of philosophers on our courses” should be from Africa and Asia."

Is this not a reasonable request coming from SOAS? It's kind of in the name isn't it?

Yes, but no-one is listening.

There are dozens of institutions at which a person can study American Literature. These as well exclude some of the greats - 'a literature degree without Shakespeare!' - and that on the defensible criterion that they are not American. Cervantes typically gets very short shrift on degrees in French.
Original post by cambio wechsel
The reporting of this is total ********. Students at specifically SOAS are protesting at the amount of European Philosophy taught on the new BA in 'World Philosophy' being offered at specifically that institution. They want that what is marketed as a niche degree should honour the labelling.

Seems fair enough. If I went to SOAS to study World Literatures and the semester 1 reading list was Austen and the Brontes, I'd be peeved.

Aristotle was Greek, so was Plato, Voltaire was French, and Kant was German. Yes, you should absolutely get a range of cultures in World Philosophy, but what's so bad about having some European philosophers? Europe, after all, is a place in the world and occupies a place in world philosophical history.
Original post by cambio wechsel

Issue is a lot of philosophy originated (or at least was preserved in Europe), there's a great deal that we have on the Chinese, Indians, ME, Most of what we have on Libya etc is from Roman sources.
Original post by RayApparently
Calm down mein fuhrer. :tongue:

You're next :wink:

Original post by 0xFFFFail

Demanding for the majority to be X based on completely arbitrary information is not a reasonable request in any universe.

Quick Reply

Latest