The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wolfmoon88
Hahaha me too :tongue:

Used to be? What happened?

I think my parents want me to have experience living abroad (in Beijing to be precise) I could easily go to a language class in National Taiwan University and just sit in, so yes you are right.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahaha basically my brother made me revise more and then I got a bit better at it 😂😂👌
Original post by Christie_xx
Ahaha basically my brother made me revise more and then I got a bit better at it 😂😂👌

My aim is to revise more for maths :tongue: teach me your ways :rofl:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Am I the only one who's scared of watching "The Theory of Everything" because of how depressing it is even though I'm very interested in it :laugh:
Ikr!! Me neither but her vids did make me consider becoming vegan 😆 Yeah she fits in so much stuff, she is goals af

Right? If I somehow ended up being a Cantab in the future I would hope to have as much of my life together as she does :lol:

Original post by Student1256
Yeah I feel the health too after seeing her eat a plate of fruit, I don't understand how anyone can live off of that though. honestly if I eat fruit, no matter how much I eat, after 20 minutes i feel as if I haven't eaten anything at all. I need something cooked 😂

Wow you're one of those crazy fangirls aren't ya :laugh: (no offence)
I considered vlogging at cam myself (if I get in) but then again I want a first too, so I gotta set straight my priorities :rofl:

So true! Fruit for breakfast, I wish I could sustain myself with that :rofl: it looks like she eats really big portions though, so maybe that's what gets her by.

:rofl: okay well I wasn't completely planning to stalk him down, I probably would have hid away and watched him vlog and then said hi afterward or something idk. I was hoping to catch him on the tube :frown: I thought it was funny that he was at the Selwyn Snow Ball like two days before my interview (okay yeah I guess I can be a bit of a crazy fangirl)

That would be cool :tongue: are you into video editing and stuff? But true; I really don't know how Jake managed to balance vlogging with his academic life so well. I'd probably get a third if I tried...
(edited 7 years ago)
Am I the only one who's scared of watching "The Theory of Everything" because of how depressing it is even though I'm very interested in it :laugh:

It's such a good movie :colondollar:

I probably wouldn't watch it because just the setting would give me interview flashbacks
Disagree, at least for CIE board FM is very unpredictable and always requires some heavy thinking as opposed to normal math which is repetition 90% of the time and you just have to apply a formula

Glad to hear that - that's how it should be!
Original post by rissanicole14
Does anyone else watch Joe Binder and Holly Gabrielle's vlogs?

I'm subscribed to both but only really watch Joe's vlogs - Holly focuses too much on the food and not enough on Cambridge i think. But she's been doing useful information type videos over the holidays which I have watched. I like Joe better - I find his vlogs funny and I like the way he films them :smile:
Omg I love Holly's channel, she seems so sweet!

... really? I couldn't sit through more than one video, she is the epitome of a preachy vegan...
Original post by Ruthie2267
:wink:

I mean, I'd say you've got enough stuff to make a really good application already if you didn't want to do the summer schools - it's certainly much more than what a lot of people have. But I also think you should seize as many opportunities as you can. I'm not entirely sure what shadowing schemes entail, but do they actually offer you a taste of what being taught your subject will be like, or is it literally "shadowing"? :biggrin:

honestly, half of the reasons why I loved the summer schools I went on was because of the experience - not only did it break up the monotony of the summer holidays (and took my mind off of results day!) but I made some really good friends who I still talk to (like @domaths but certainly not you @FrenchNerd2 , you don't count anymore :wink: ).

I'd suggest applying, then if you don't get a place - no harm done, and if you do and you realise you don't want it you can always turn it down and it gets given to someone else. And I ended up applying to Cambridge even after going to UNIQ so that doesnt really matter either :P

but seriously dude... free stuff whilst experiencing the subject you love? there's not much better tbh. (if you do decide to do Sutton Trust KCL has the hands down best evening activities... the Cambridge lot did punting - we got to go on the London Eye :wink: )

(also there are certain benefits to doing sutton trust often the uni you do it at will give you reduced offers etc if you apply there which is nice :biggrin: )

Love you too Ruth :P
Original post by rissanicole14
*cries in Spanish* lucky!

I was so disappointed he never toured anywhere around me when he was supporting Banners :frown: hope he covers more ground this year

he is honestly so amazing live - especially The Dirt
Original post by Ruthie2267
I don't think it counts for Cambridge unfortunately :wink: @FrenchNerd2 ?

Neither Oxford nor Cambridge do reduced offers for summer schools - I literally think it's only Durham
Original post by liziepie
... really? I couldn't sit through more than one video, she is the epitome of a preachy vegan...

You think she's preachy? I didn't really feel like she was pushing veganism that hard, just that she's passionate about it, which I think is cool. I can understand how she might be seen as preachy tho
You think she's preachy? I didn't really feel like she was pushing veganism that hard, just that she's passionate about it, which I think is cool. I can understand how she might be seen as preachy tho

The one I watched gave off that impression, she basically shamed meat eaters for being responsible for killing cute animals and insisted that veganisn was the natural state for human beings to be, which was surprising coming from a bio natsci... But anyway, let's not get into that - I highly recommend Ibz mo's vids, they are hilar
Does anyone know how much money they make from doing these vlogs?
Original post by thewinelake
Does anyone know how much money they make from doing these vlogs?

They get a slice of the adrevenue. Very very roughly about £1 per 1,000 views, depending on the types of ad and whether people view the entire ad or not.

And I note that Jake, for example, doesn't monetise all his videos.

The serious vloggers make more money from sponsorship or product promotion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by jneill
They get a slice of the adrevenue. Very very roughly about £1 per 1,000 views, depending on the types of ad and whether people view the entire ad or not.

And I note that Jake, for example, doesn't monetise all his videos.

The serious vloggers make more money from sponsorship or product promotion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not a fan of vloggers myself, but appreciate the enormous impact that the likes of Zoella and Alfie can have. These minor league players can still make a few bob, I guess. Beats waitressing....
Original post by thewinelake
I'm not a fan of vloggers myself, but appreciate the enormous impact that the likes of Zoella and Alfie can have. These minor league players can still make a few bob, I guess. Beats waitressing....

Jake does a nice job and the warts and all approach certainly helps give a more "true" impression of life at Cambridge.

Although they are a bit long....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jneill
Some... ask away...

Are you a home or International student?

Do you mean scholarships (generally not very high £, awarded for academic achievements) or bursaries (usually automatically awarded if you meet the criteria)?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well both. I'm an international student, so fees would be about 25000 pounds, even more which we cannot afford. Scholarships of 1000 pounds would be useless though. Thanks for the reply
Original post by kovacevm
Well both. I'm an international student, so fees would be about 25000 pounds, even more which we cannot afford. Scholarships of 1000 pounds would be useless though. Thanks for the reply

Yep, you have a challenge then :wink:
http://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/financial-support

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by liziepie
The one I watched gave off that impression, she basically shamed meat eaters for being responsible for killing cute animals and insisted that veganisn was the natural state for human beings to be, which was surprising coming from a bio natsci... But anyway, let's not get into that - I highly recommend Ibz mo's vids, they are hilar

Yeah that's a good point actually! I did think it was funny that she thought humans were naturally vegan :confused:

Ahaha yeah I will do!

Latest

Trending

Trending