The Student Room Group

Might drop out of sixth form

Is it possible to just continue working at my job or do a one year course if there is any, til I'm 18 instead of staying on til y13 of sixth form? I can't deal with the work load and I don't do well with exam pressure. I MIGHT go to uni but do I have to do the whole 2 years to get into uni?
Yes you need to do the 2 years before you get to uni unfortunately
Original post by FudgeCakes
Is it possible to just continue working at my job or do a one year course if there is any, til I'm 18 instead of staying on til y13 of sixth form? I can't deal with the work load and I don't do well with exam pressure. I MIGHT go to uni but do I have to do the whole 2 years to get into uni?

You have to do the full 2 years at your sixth form college. Given your situation, I want to give you some proper good advice:

You are still VERY YOUNG. Take this as a blessing. SERIOUSLY! You have your entire life ahead of YOU. Life is a like beautiful game with ups and downs. You will find that sometimes things don't quite go your way or you have second thoughts and doubts like you do now with regards to your studies. If I were you, I would seriously consider just completing your A-Levels to the very best of your abilities. Why? Well because like I said you are young and you may be ambiguous or not too sure about the road ahead of you. You never know, you may decide to go to university one day and if you do - you can always happily refer back to your A-Levels thus saving you time and stress. Also, a lot of the top companies are also looking for degree holders and A-Level students. I think over the years, the general younger population seem to have A-Levels or even BTECs. More and more students are going to university, so it just seems natural and safe to have a good set of A-Levels.

In a nutshell, complete your A-Levels. It will come as a blessing in disguise one day - trust me
Reply 3
Original post by yunglife
You have to do the full 2 years at your sixth form college. Given your situation, I want to give you some proper good advice:

You are still VERY YOUNG. Take this as a blessing. SERIOUSLY! You have your entire life ahead of YOU. Life is a like beautiful game with ups and downs. You will find that sometimes things don't quite go your way or you have second thoughts and doubts like you do now with regards to your studies. If I were you, I would seriously consider just completing your A-Levels to the very best of your abilities. Why? Well because like I said you are young and you may be ambiguous or not too sure about the road ahead of you. You never know, you may decide to go to university one day and if you do - you can always happily refer back to your A-Levels thus saving you time and stress. Also, a lot of the top companies are also looking for degree holders and A-Level students. I think over the years, the general younger population seem to have A-Levels or even BTECs. More and more students are going to university, so it just seems natural and safe to have a good set of A-Levels.

In a nutshell, complete your A-Levels. It will come as a blessing in disguise one day - trust me

I don't think I'll get the grades though, so I'm unsure what to do :frown:

Have you tried asking for help with stress from your school? Or your teachers? or your GP?

I think it's a good idea to stay in education

I also get v worried about school work and my one piece of advice from that would be to ask for help when you need it

Never doubt yourself! Always aim high no matter what.

You are saying you might not get the grades, but in the worst case scenario - at least it is not as bad as not having A-Levels at all. Having a set of A-Levels is far better than not having them at all! Trust me.

The best thing about this country is access to higher education. People from all walks of life can go to university and the best thing is that there are universities to cater to everyone's' needs. We have about 100 universities in this country and I can guarantee you that at least one would take you even if you had some bad grades. I remember a cousin from the Americas telling me that he wished he lived here because over there it is really hard to get into university - especially for average and below average students.

Prices to go to university may cost a lot but the option is there. Companies look at A-Levels too, so even if they are bad they would still consider them

Quick Reply

Latest