The Student Room Group
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website

Uni of Westminister Fashion Marketing and Promotion?

Hey guys, i was supposed to have started this course last year but i ended up having to differ a year meaning i'll be starting it come September 2017. Just wanted to reach out to anyone who is looking to study or already is studying it.
Those who are studying it - anything that's surprised you about the course? Anything you wish you knew/prepared for? Any tips and hints?
And to those looking to study it, feel free to ask any questions regarding application and interviews and such since i have already secured my place there :smile:
Reply 1
I applied for this course, but I'm still waiting for an answer. Can you tell me how the interviews are? what kind of questions do they ask? and do you have any tips for the portfolio?
i'm sooo nervous! do you know when do they usually answer to the applications?
Thanks for the help and I'm sorry for asking you so many questions haha
Freshers week
University of Westminster
London
Visit website
Original post by Lucia-DA
I applied for this course, but I'm still waiting for an answer. Can you tell me how the interviews are? what kind of questions do they ask? and do you have any tips for the portfolio?

Hi

The things you need to be thinking about before you come to the interview are why you want to study the course at Westminster and why fashion marketing. You need to be creative and arty but also have a good business head. Do your research on the course, research the fashion industry from the point of view of a fashion promoter. Think about your future career and what type of job you may want and who you might want to work for. Any past work experience will enhance your chances of getting an offer so make a point of mentioning this even if it was an unpaid placement. We conduct group interviews so you'll need to be able to join in conversations or even lead on conversations about the fashion industry if the course tutor asks a question. Don't be shy, be confident and talk about the subject with passion and enthusiasm.

Best of luck!

Kim
Course Enquiries Team :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by University of Westminster
Hi

The things you need to be thinking about before you come to the interview are why you want to study the course at Westminster and why fashion marketing. You need to be creative and arty but also have a good business head. Do your research on the course, research the fashion industry from the point of view of a fashion promoter. Think about your future career and what type of job you may want and who you might want to work for. Any past work experience will enhance your chances of getting an offer so make a point of mentioning this even if it was an unpaid placement. We conduct group interviews so you'll need to be able to join in conversations or even lead on conversations about the fashion industry if the course tutor asks a question. Don't be shy, be confident and talk about the subject with passion and enthusiasm.

Best of luck!

Kim
Course Enquiries Team :smile:

Thank you so much for your answer!
Since I'm from Italy, I'm thinking to attend the interview via phone if possible.. do you think it would increase my chances to get an offer if I come to the interview at the university instead of doing it on the phone? will the questions be the same?
Reply 4
Original post by Uwnfnikki
Hey guys, i was supposed to have started this course last year but i ended up having to differ a year meaning i'll be starting it come September 2017. Just wanted to reach out to anyone who is looking to study or already is studying it.
Those who are studying it - anything that's surprised you about the course? Anything you wish you knew/prepared for? Any tips and hints?
And to those looking to study it, feel free to ask any questions regarding application and interviews and such since i have already secured my place there :smile:

How did you find the interview process? I've got mine this month!
Reply 5
I got an interview but can't make the date! So worried they will just say no!
Reply 6
Original post by abipars

I've got an interview next Wednesday! I'm sure they'll allow you to change the date.
Reply 7
Thank you so much for your answer!
Since I'm from Italy, I'm thinking to attend the interview via phone if possible.. do you think it would increase my chances to get an offer if I come to the interview at the university instead of doing it on the phone? will the questions be the same?

Personally, i think if you could personally make it then that would of course be brilliant and much easier, not to mention you can get a feel for the uni if you haven't visited already. At the same time, Westminister accepts loaaaddss of international students each year so im sure doing skype interviews is nothing out of the ordinary. Questions would most likely be the same although you may be asked to send your portfolio electronicaly? So they could get a better look. Hope this helped and sorry i took so long to respond!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by abipars

I know it may seem daunting but the admissions team and the course leader are all very kind and helpful, as long as you have a good reason im sure they'll give you another date or a webcam interview if you live far :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Charl99
How did you find the interview process? I've got mine this month!

The interview in its self was actually very simple and straight forward but if you're anything like me then you'll be stressing out regardless lol. Basically what happens is you all wait downstairs together and then you're called up for a talk (same talk you get on the open day if you've attended). After that they take a register and you get called up in groups of about 4/5. The interview basically consists of them taking a look at your work and then going around the room and asking a few questions :smile:
Reply 10
The interview in its self was actually very simple and straight forward but if you're anything like me then you'll be stressing out regardless lol. Basically what happens is you all wait downstairs together and then you're called up for a talk (same talk you get on the open day if you've attended). After that they take a register and you get called up in groups of about 4/5. The interview basically consists of them taking a look at your work and then going around the room and asking a few questions :smile:

Yeah i'm like you,stressing out already! Thank you. This has helped. What did you wear for the interview?
Reply 11

In response to what the interview is like check out the answer i gave below :smile: - in terms of what questions they ask its mainly why you created what you did, what was your thought process behind it ect. Its literally 2/3 per person from what i remember so you dont have a lot to worry about :smile:. Tips for the portfolio, honestly as long as its work your proud of then that's all that matters, it can be drawings, paintings, photography... Honestly the main focus will be on the activity you're given to complete.
In terms of when they answered me, it differs and i cant remember exactly but im pretty sure it was a few weeks? Actually i may still have the emails so i'll add it in here if i find out.
Reply 12
Original post by Charl99
Yeah i'm like you,stressing out already! Thank you. This has helped. What did you wear for the interview?

Im not surprised i was sweating balls 😂. Im glad it did! I wore some black smart fitted harem trousers with a white turtleneck and dustercoat. But honestly i know you may be tempted to go all out with your look, but the majority of people just dressed casually, mostly leather jackets with a sweater, jeans and booties. Doesn't have to be anything extraordinary unless that's your style then all power to you 👏🏼. The majority of focus will be on your project :smile:
Reply 13
Im not surprised i was sweating balls 😂. Im glad it did! I wore some black smart fitted harem trousers with a white turtleneck and dustercoat. But honestly i know you may be tempted to go all out with your look, but the majority of people just dressed casually, mostly leather jackets with a sweater, jeans and booties. Doesn't have to be anything extraordinary unless that's your style then all power to you 👏🏼. The majority of focus will be on your project :smile:

Thats what i'm doing ahah! Thanks again, i didn't want to go too smart and be the odd one out. Now i have a better idea of what to wear.
Reply 14
[QUOTE="Charl99;69641096"]Thats what i'm doing ahah! Thanks again, i didn't want to go too smart and be the odd one out. Now i have a better idea of what to wear.[/QUOTE

No worries girl, glad i could help 👌🏼 And dw about being a nervous wreck, literally everyone else will be too
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 15
[QUOTE="Uwnfnikki;69641152"]
Original post by Charl99
Thats what i'm doing ahah! Thanks again, i didn't want to go too smart and be the odd one out. Now i have a better idea of what to wear.[/QUOTE

No worries girl, glad i could help 👌🏼 And dw about being a nervous wreck, literally everyone else will be too

Oh and good luck of course 👏🏼 :smile:
Reply 16
[QUOTE="Uwnfnikki;69641170"]

Oh and good luck of course 👏🏼 :smile:

Thank you!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending