The Student Room Group

Family accused of assisting suicide of paraplegic

Edit: Sorry, wrong thread
(edited 6 years ago)
You're not allowed to help but They are allowed to commit If They are ill? What are the chances of being filmed doing that...
I wonder why they chose to do it in such a painful way.

Shame that was the paraplegic's only chance to pass if that's what they wantd.
Original post by Kvothe the Arcane

I thought this as well. No guarantee they didn't lay there in agony before dying. I don't know how I feel about allowing euthanasia, I can't decide if the risks are worth the benefits, but no one should be at the point where they're forced into a painful and terrifying death and no family should be prosecuted for doing the compassionate thing.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Its a shame that we make it so difficult for people to choose to end their lives in a dignified manner.

Courtesy of an episode of QI I watched the other night

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia_device#Exit.27s_euthanasia_device

If that is indeed the same device they were talking about on the show, it asks you three questions that contain little to no ambiguity concerning the results of what using the device will be (basically, "if you use this device you will die. Is that what you want?", "If you click 'proceed' on the next page, you will die. Is that what you want?", and "u sure fam?". I've paraphrased out of an inability to remember the exact questions), though as one guest on the show pointed out "I'm assuming Amazon aren't stocking them?".

There are ways and means, but I'm with you on this: why the government(s) of the world are making it so difficult for people who consciously want to die achieve their goal instead of living their lives in misery, I have no idea. I'd argue that it's actually more immoral to prevent someone in that situation from ending their lives than it is from making sure that they endure their suffering by keeping them alive.
That poor fam just tried to give her what she wanted :frown:

Video (Not Safe For Life)

hecc I didn't expect the audience to that big wtf
Reply 6
Original post by Anfanny
You're not allowed to help but They are allowed to commit If They are ill? What are the chances of being filmed doing that...

Original post by Kvothe the Arcane

Original post by doodle_333
I thought this as well. No guarantee they didn't lay there in agony before dying. I don't know how I feel about allowing euthanasia, I can't decide if the risks are worth the benefits, but no one should be at the point where they're forced into a painful and terrifying death and no family should be prosecuted for doing the compassionate thing.

Original post by Drunk Punx
Courtesy of an episode of QI I watched the other night

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euthanasia_device#Exit.27s_eutha nasia_device

If that is indeed the same device they were talking about on the show, it asks you three questions that contain little to no ambiguity concerning the results of what using the device will be (basically, "if you use this device you will die. Is that what you want?", "If you click 'proceed' on the next page, you will die. Is that what you want?", and "u sure fam?". I've paraphrased out of an inability to remember the exact questions), though as one guest on the show pointed out "I'm assuming Amazon aren't stocking them?".

There are ways and means, but I'm with you on this: why the government(s) of the world are making it so difficult for people who consciously want to die achieve their goal instead of living their lives in misery, I have no idea. I'd argue that it's actually more immoral to prevent someone in that situation from ending their lives than it is from making sure that they endure their suffering by keeping them alive.

Original post by Retired_Messiah
That poor fam just tried to give her what she wanted :frown:

hecc I didn't expect the audience to that big wtf

Guys he's trolling you. It has been edited to look like that, the story is completely false. The person was bungee jumping. Watch this video:

[video="youtube;iIKwFyWVzig"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIKwFyWVzig[/video]
Spoilsport :mad:

There is a reason I posted this to Chat...

Honestly surprised it took this long for you guys to call it out.

God how did I not notice lmao fml

You started a really stimulating debate tho good job
Original post by AshEntropy
Guys he's trolling you. It has been edited to look like that, the story is completely false. The person was bungee jumping. Watch this video:

[video="youtube;iIKwFyWVzig"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIKwFyWVzig[/video]

Haha, if I'd actually watched the video I'd have realised that >.< That vid's years old.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending