The Student Room Group

Implicit differentiation

Attachment not found
hi, I am wondering whether I have differentiated this correctly or not . I couldn't check this expect from subbing the x and y values in .. Is there other ways to check it on the calculator ?

Thanks
Reply 1
Also this one 1484046489493983524854.jpg
Original post by coconut64
Attachment not found
hi, I am wondering whether I have differentiated this correctly or not . I couldn't check this expect from subbing the x and y values in .. Is there other ways to check it on the calculator ?

Thanks

When using implicit differentiation, you differentiate with respect to x the whole expression so, as you used the Quotient Rule, your u= sin x and v= sin y. Now, when you differentiate u, it will be cos x but as you differentiate v, it will be cos y dy/dx because you're differentiating with respect to x. Whenever you are differentiating a y term, you must always write dy/dx after differentiating else you lose marks.
(edited 7 years ago)
Also this one 1484046489493983524854.jpg

This is correct. :smile:
Original post by sabahshahed294
This is correct. :smile:

The differentiation looks good but the denominator of the gradient isn't 5 when you sub in x = 0.
Original post by BrasenoseAdm
The differentiation looks good but the denominator of the gradient isn't 5 when you sub in x = 0.

Oo yeah, I read that as y by mistake. My bad.
Reply 6
Original post by BrasenoseAdm

So the gradient is just 2? Thanks
hi, I am wondering whether I have differentiated this correctly or not . I couldn't check this expect from subbing the x and y values in .. Is there other ways to check it on the calculator ?With the sinxsiny=2\dfrac{\sin x}{\sin y} = 2 question, rather than use the quotient rule, it's *much* easier to go:

sinxsiny=2    sinx=2siny\dfrac{\sin x}{\sin y} = 2 \implies \sin x = 2 \sin y

and then differentiate the 2nd equation implicitly instead.

Quick Reply

Latest