The Student Room Group

core maths c12 10 jan 2017

Hello everyone
Did anyone give the c12 paper today?
How was it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It was okay except the line 1 and 2 one :/ I missed the intersection point coordinates which was in the question and not diagram, what about you ?
I personally feel like it was harder than standard. Especially the graphing question with the constant C, I probably messed up in that. Also the last question about area was pretty confusing.
I actually felt it was easy maybe cuz i was giving a repeat and my june 2016 paper was extremely bad
But that last question was very confusing and i have no idea what I did

Posted from TSR Mobile
I actually used a number in place of the constant to make the graphing easier and for the first part my graph intersected at (0,c^2), (-c,0) and (c,) and for the 2nd part i got a double root at the origin and it intersected the x axis at (3c,0) but this is what i did

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
That's exactly what I did as well, let's hope we both got it right. Though I made a line in the second part with positive 1 gradient and that line interested the X-axis at 3c.

In the last question I went for the area of the triangle and then applied the sector area formula for the arcs LM and the other two. Added the area of triangle to the area of the three chords which I had found by subtracting the sector area from the triangle's. By this point I was kinda lost lol and ended up writing some answer in terms of r.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think i also did something like that and my answer was area=r(2- root 3- pie/something)

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hope the grade boundaries aren't high cuz i need a ums of 167 in this paper to get and overall A

Posted from TSR Mobile
For the binomial expansion questiob we were supposed to find the first 3 terms using the Ncr method right and then we would compare their coefficient and find their values for example 2a^x^=3x^ in this a will be 2÷3 is this the right way?
My a was 0.2 as when i expanded by the ncr method i got 20ax as the 2nd term and i equated it t0 4x so 20a=4 and a=4/20=0.2

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm guessing an A would be somewhere around 92 marks. I assume you have already done C34, how many UMS did you get?

I think we might have sat the exam at the same place.
Yep that's how the binomial question was supposed to be done.
i think the paper was OK and i really hope the grade boundaries will be low....
but how did you do the second part for the Trigonometry equation?
i think dividing by COS is wrong since you will lose solutions. And what was the value for the geometric sequence question? the one about finding the total volume of water at the end of 20 years?
does anyone have any idea from where to get the model answers for this paper?
No actually my AS consists of m1 and c12 and i need a ums of 167 in c12 to get an A in AS
C34 is part of my A2 and that exam i will give in june

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Yes
Original post by mr.holmes
i think the paper was OK and i really hope the grade boundaries will be low....
but how did you do the second part for the Trigonometry equation?
i think dividing by COS is wrong since you will lose solutions. And what was the value for the geometric sequence question? the one about finding the total volume of water at the end of 20 years?
does anyone have any idea from where to get the model answers for this paper?

For the 2nd part of trignometry i think we had to use the rule sin/cos=tan. My final ans for that was 1.3 and 91.3
And for the volume my final ans was 34480 litres
Well that's what I did, I divided the equation by cos to get tan and it ended up being just another trig question.

Oh man the geometric sequence question took me almost half an hour. I struggled to get a common ratio but the time was running out so I just went on to solve the question with a common ratio of 0.93. But using this value I was unable to show the litres required in part A, I reckon it was 125.2 litres and I was getting 133 some litres. I used the same r value for part C to find the sum of 20.
Sumayya how did you get that value for volume First term a=180 r=0.93 n=20 by inputing these in sn formula we get1969.1
Also got 1.3 and 91.3 using tan

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sumaiyya1999
For the 2nd part of trignometry i think we had to use the rule sin/cos=tan. My final ans for that was 1.3 and 91.3
And for the volume my final ans was 34480 litres

that is what i did for the trigonometry question but i think you will lose solutions.
i did a similar question in a previous year and i divided by tan and i actually lost 2 solutions.
could you please tell me how you found your answer for the geometric question?
and what was the value for t

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending