The Student Room Group

core maths c12 10 jan 2017

Scroll to see replies

My value for volume was 800 something.I found the sum of one and multiplied by 20

Posted from TSR Mobile
t was log 5/log 3
There were 3 x-values but log can only be used with positive number and there was only 1 positive value.

Posted from TSR Mobile
In trignometry part b there was (Thita , 10°) on both LHS and RHS did these get cancelled how were they used?
1.3 and 91.3 degrees were the only possible solutions.
Original post by OnTheHorizon
t was log 5/log 3
There were 3 x-values but log can only be used with positive number and there was only 1 positive value.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Same
Original post by Hammadjawaid12
Sumayya how did you get that value for volume First term a=180 r=0.93 n=20 by inputing these in sn formula we get1969.1

Actually the sum of the litres for the first barrel was around 602 but then they said that every year a new barrel is filled and it increases by the same common ratio so i found the sum of litres of the first 3 to 4 barrels and they formed a new geometric series so i found the new r which was 1.1 and my a was 602 and n was 20
Original post by Sumaiyya1999
Actually the sum of the litres for the first barrel was around 602 but then they said that every year a new barrel is filled and it increases by the same common ratio so i found the sum of litres of the first 3 to 4 barrels and they formed a new geometric series so i found the new r which was 1.1 and my a was 602 and n was 20

Well damn there goes my 3 marks straight out the window.
Original post by mr.holmes
that is what i did for the trigonometry question but i think you will lose solutions.
i did a similar question in a previous year and i divided by tan and i actually lost 2 solutions.
could you please tell me how you found your answer for the geometric question?
and what was the value for t

No i didnt divide by tan i just brought the cos on the rhs and it came in the form 5sintheta/costheta so I equated tan in place of sin/cos to give 5 tantheta
The question where we were supposed to express log3 (x/9) and log3 (√x) in terms of y, what answers did you guys get? I got the same answer for both and that was y/2.
In trignometry part b there was (Thita , 10°) on both LHS and RHS did these get cancelled how were they used?

Nope Khan bhai
No i didnt divide by tan i just brought the cos on the rhs and it came in the form 5sintheta/costheta so I equated tan in place of sin/cos to give 5 tantheta

sorry i meant dividing by cos

No they became tan(theta+10) so when u solve u minus the 10 from all the values of theta
Original post by Fasih178
The question where we were supposed to express log3 (x/9) and log3 (√x) in terms of y, what answers did you guys get? I got the same answer for both and that was y/2.

For the first one i got y-2 and 2nd i got y/2
Original post by mr.holmes
sorry i meant dividing by cos

I did that in alot of papers and didnt lose any value
For the first one i got y-2 and 2nd i got y/2

Thank God. I thought I messed up cuz it's quite unusual to get the same answers for two different questions.

For the log equation in part B I got x=81. I'm guessing the answer is probably correct since the answer to part A is correct as well.
I did that in alot of papers and didnt lose any value

i dont know. Anyways, i did the question in two ways in the exam so hopefully they will correct the right one. one of the ways is that i squared all the terms.
The ans for the part a wasnt y/2 it was y - 2 and after solving i got 3 for y and 27 for x

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are usually more than one ways of doing a question i hope we both get it right

Posted from TSR Mobile
The only situation where you can lose a solution or two is when you divide by a trig function by some other trig function and cancel them out, when instead you were supposed to factorize a common trig function out but that wasn't the case in the trig question we got.
i got 2 values for y since it will be a quadratic equation. i basically solved it by substitution since the gave as the what is Y is equal to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending