The Student Room Group

Swiss win EU case - Muslim girls must swim with boys

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-38569428

To sum it up the European Court of Human Rights have backed up Switzerland in a case where Muslim parents refused to send their young daughters to swimmimg classes which were mixed with other boys due to religious sentiments. The parents were fined, took the case to law and have now lost again.

Is this a straight forward ruling or is there a debate to be had whether the parents freedom of religious beliefs were impinged on and essentially told they were being bad parents?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Charzhino

To sum it up the European Court of Human Rights have backed up Swirzerland in a case where Muslim parents refused to send their young daughters to swimmimg classes which were mixed with other boys due to religious sentiments. The parents where fined, took the case to law and have now lost again.

Is this a straight forward ruling or is there a debate to be had whether the parents freedom of religious beliefs were impinged on and essentially told they were being bad parents?

Really not sure how I feel about this as it is probably an infringement on religious freedom. They shouldn't be forced to swim with boys, but they certainly shouldn't be allocated their own separate pool either.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by cbreef
Really not sure how I feel about this as it is an infringement on religious freedom. They shouldn't be forced to swim but they shouldn't be allocated their own pool either.

To me its very similar to the burkini ban fiasco we had a few months ago in France. I can see both sides but im not sure which one is the better option.
To me its very similar to the burkini ban fiasco we had a few months ago in France. I can see both sides but im not sure which one is the better option.

We should stop giving them reason to hate us by banning their practices and clothing. It's only going to make things worse.

To sum it up the European Court of Human Rights have backed up Swirzerland in a case where Muslim parents refused to send their young daughters to swimmimg classes which were mixed with other boys due to religious sentiments. The parents where fined, took the case to law and have now lost again.

Its a straight forward ruling.
Why is this such a big deal?

You have female only gyms, loads of stuff. As if there is no such thing as female only swimming lessons.

Time for some Swiss person to stand up and cash in big time by setting up these classes....
If they don't want their children swimming with boys, then they shouldn't have to. I have shared a pool with muslims before though and they seemed fine with it.
Good, it's them who have to follow our rules, not the the other way round.
Original post by Mr Moon Man
Good, it's them who have to follow our rules, not the the other way round.

And our "rules" support freedom of religion. It could be argued that this infringes on that principle.
Reply 9
This whole situation seems silly. There is nothing wrong with allowing for single-sex swimming classes.

But also if such a thing is not to be provided then just go to a mixed-sex one.

No wonder people are fed up of the EU when the EU has to deal with nonsense like this.
I don't want to seem pedantic, but the European Court of Human Rights is in no way related to the EU. Switzerland isn't even in the EU.
Original post by gogojakeo
I don't want to seem pedantic, but the European Court of Human Rights is in no way related to the EU. Switzerland isn't even in the EU.

Who, either in this thread or the article linked, said this is somehow concerned with the EU?
Brilliant news! :woo:

The fewer special privileges religion is given, the better.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Good bloke
Who, either in this thread or the article linked, said this is somehow concerned with the EU?

thread title?
Original post by Good bloke

Original post by Inexorably
No wonder people are fed up of the EU when the EU has to deal with nonsense like this.

Right there.
Whatever next? Muslims demanding gender segregation in schools? Stop these abhorrent cultural practices now. This is just not European or British (*).

* Besides Eton, Roedean, etc.

Original post by gogojakeo

Sadly a lot of Brits are poorly informed about the EU or the ECHR.
Original post by cbreef
And our "rules" support freedom of religion. It could be argued that this infringes on that principle.

Freedom of religion should not be interfering with other rules. Believe in whatever you want in ur basement but do not impose your religious freaking views on others and require special treatment.
Original post by cambio wechsel
thread title?

I didn't spot that, but it is self-contradictory anyway.
Original post by Len Goodman
The Western world should have zero tolerance for barbaric Islamic practices.

Nor for barbaric practices of whatever provenance. But not wanting your teenaged daughter to swim with boys doesn't seem obviously barbaric.
Great news!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending