The Student Room Group

Swiss win EU case - Muslim girls must swim with boys

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cambio wechsel
Nor for barbaric practices of whatever provenance. But not wanting your teenaged daughter to swim with boys doesn't seem obviously barbaric.

The people in question aren't teenagers yet, but yeah. This is such a non-story.
Original post by Quantex
Whatever next? Muslims demanding gender segregation in schools? Stop these abhorrent cultural practices now. This is just not European or British (*).

* Besides Eton, Roedean, etc.

Sadly a lot of Brits are poorly informed about the EU or the ECHR.

So you oppose muslims segregating their kids but it's ok if the elite do it?

Original post by hassassin04
Freedom of religion should not be interfering with other rules. Believe in whatever you want in ur basement but do not impose your religious freaking views on others and require special treatment.

This is hardly special treatment.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by cbreef
So you oppose muslims segregating but it's ok if the elite do it?

No, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy in my usual snarky way.

Until it closed, my local swimming pool had separate male and female sessions. No one battered an eyelid. But when it involves Muslims and Islam, people go on the moral rampage.
If people entering a society voluntarily and then reject the basic tenets of that society - and wearing special clothes that signal rejection, refusing handshakes or putting women into purdah are all examples of a very firm rejection of our society - then they should expect that society to be antagonistic to them.

What makes it worse is that it is all for reasons of superstitious belief that should have died out in the deserts of Arabia hundreds of years ago.

I can tolerate most things, but not aggressive intolerance - and Islam is institutionalised intolerance, which actively seeks to spread into areas which have been mercifully free of it.
Original post by Quantex
No, I'm pointing out the hypocrisy in my usual snarky way.

Until it closed, my local swimming pool had separate male and female sessions. No one battered an eyelid. But when it involves Muslims and Islam, people go on the moral rampage.

Similar to how complete non-vegetarians who couldn't give a damn about factory farming or any other such slaughter of animals in the meat production industry suddenly claim to be huge animal rights advocates when the topic of halal meat is raised.
This will only get worse with excess immigration. time to leave the EU.
Original post by Good bloke
If people entering a society voluntarily

And what about those who are born into it and have little choice in the matter?
Original post by Good bloke
I didn't spot that, but it is self-contradictory anyway.

The title is "Swiss win EU case - Muslims girls must swim with boys"
Original post by Quantex
Whatever next? Muslims demanding gender segregation in schools? Stop these abhorrent cultural practices now. This is just not European or British (*).

* Besides Eton, Roedean, etc.

Sadly a lot of Brits are poorly informed about the EU or the ECHR.

Unfortunately I think that's what caused people to vote to leave.
The rule that children should be attending classes and they impose their views by pretty much requiring a separate swimming pool for girls.
Original post by anarchism101
And what about those who are born into it and have little choice in the matter?

Their parents are the one forbidding them to partake...
To those saying Muslims shouldn't get special privileges; that's not what they're asking for. No one is asking for a separate swimming pool, just that their daughters are not obligated to participate. I don't see anything wrong in that?

Edit: then again I didn't read the link, just based my assumption off of the summary.
(edited 7 years ago)
The rule that children should be attending classes and they impose their views by pretty much requiring a separate swimming pool for girls.

From what I read, the parents were fine with their daughters not doing swimming lessons at all.
If you walk into a secular institution such a school or university you abide by the rules of the nation state and not your individual religious beliefs leave them outside of the door.

In fact Islam doesn't prevent such mixing if it unavoidable due to local rules or customs. In the Quran it is Halal for a Muslim to eat meat provided to them by a Christian or Jew (people of the book) even if hasn't been slaughtered in the Islamic way.

If you wish to live in a secular state and enjoy the freedom this provides then suck it up and get on with it.
(edited 7 years ago)
I think the basic tenet is that citizens should not reject one another in the course of the everyday business of public life. The basic tenet of Islam (as far as these parents are concerned), that contradicts this, is that the sexes should not mix outside the family. I think our society's norms come before superstitious beliefs: you can hold them but they will not be pandered to if they affect others.

Practise your religion to your heart's desire behind closed doors, but be a normal part of society in public.
Original post by gogojakeo
From what I read, the parents were fine with their daughters not doing swimming lessons at all.

"Schools, it said, played an important role in social integration, and exemptions from some lessons are "justified only in very exceptional circumstances" "

As I understood they kinda have to attend the classes.
Europe is facing a migrant crisis, many muslim migrants are failing to integrate into their host cultures. Europe should make every effot to faciliate muslims to become European, and leave islamic practises behind. Mixed swimming lessons are one of many things which should be enforced.
Whats all this garbage about muslim's asking for special privileges? Just because what they're asking for is religion related everyone's suddenly arguing so much. Where as if the case was about, say a girl who didnt want to swim because she didnt want to show the scars on her body to anyone, everyone would be on the girls side. If you can respect her reasons why cant you respect a muslim's reason for wanting segregation? Their religion isnt interfering with your life so why y'all hating? Or if the girls didnt want to swim with the boys just because they werent 'comfortable with the other gender' I'm sure no one would have made such a hubbub over it but once religion comes into the picture... *explosion*
"Schools, it said, played an important role in social integration, and exemptions from some lessons are "justified only in very exceptional circumstances" "

As I understood they kinda have to attend the classes.

I don't see why it should be compulsory for them to attend swimming lessons. Switzerland is landlocked. They shouldn't be made to sin in their religion.
It is the only problem. Parents, for reasons of religion, do not want their children to mix with those of the opposite sex in conditions where bits of skin can be seen. The Christian, Buddhist and atheist parents are not taking the same attitude, are they? The problem is entirely religious.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending