The Student Room Group

Computer science and general access course questions

I am planning to start an access course in IT this october so I can start university in 2018 studying computer science but I have a few concerns.

Most of my GCSEs were only at grade C including maths. I Was predicted A* but I was lazy and wreckless in school. I ended up completing an apprenticeship in Automotive Engineering getting a level 3. Will my GCSE grades be a problem when applying for a decent UNI?

Another query I have is if I am starting my access course in October how can I make sure my application to uni is in on time for 2018? Surely I won't have predicted grades for a while?

I was also considering studying abroad for lower education costs and it will look better on my profile. Also I hate England after travelling and working in Australia. Is this simply not an option with access course? I assume only UK universities accept this form of entry?

I apologise for all of the questions but I am very anxious and this is kind of my last shot at life so I don't want to mess it up.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by luck2luke
I am planning to start an access course in IT this october so I can start university in 2018 studying computer science but I have a few concerns.

Most of my GCSEs were only at grade C including maths. I Was predicted A* but I was lazy and wreckless in school. I ended up completing an apprenticeship in Automotive Engineering getting a level 3. Will my GCSE grades be a problem when applying for a decent UNI?

Another query I have is if I am starting my access course in October how can I make sure my application to uni is in on time for 2018? Surely I won't have predicted grades for a while?

I was also considering studying abroad for lower education costs and it will look better on my profile. Also I hate England after travelling and working in Australia. Is this simply not an option with access course? I assume only UK universities accept this form of entry?

I apologise for all of the questions but I am very anxious and this is kind of my last shot at life so I don't want to mess it up.

October is an odd time to start?

Ok GCSE's won't matter, as long as you have grade C in English and Maths.

As for getting your application in on time, you'll be fine, I started my course in September '16 and did my UCAS application in November. You don't have predicted grade on an access course but your referee will comment as to what grade you are working towards. You'll have finished at leas one assignment by then I would expect, probably 2.

I have no idea about universities abroad accepting the access diploma, but if you are enrolled in a UK university, many offer study abroad options. Some like Liverpool and Nottingham have an entire campus based in China and Malaysia respectively where it's possible to do part, or maybe all of the course. And lots of universities have exchange programs with universities in Australia, America, Canada, Singapore etc. So even if you're enrolled in the UK, there are foreign study options available.
Reply 2
Thankyou guys good information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending