The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

CV question

It is recommended to take part in extra and Co curricular activities along with focusing on one's academic life. I'm a student in year 12, who had moved in year 9 from England to Pakistan. My school allows us to give A-levels at the end of A2, so we don't give AS separately. When I used to live in England, I did a lot of activities apart from studying. Now my question is, when I write my resume and CV for universities, how much can I include? Such as in year 7 I took part in a French spelling bee and came fifth nationally, and I took part in the Live Below The Line Challenge. However after moving, since my school doesn't offer many activities do take part in, I can't include much of my life in Pakistan on my CV.
So does it matter if what I write took place 5-6 years ago?
Original post by Revision 99

So does it matter if what I write took place 5-6 years ago?

No university is going to be interested in your activities as a twelve-year old, so they would be a waste of space. They are completely irrelevant to your application.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Original post by Good bloke
No university is going to be interested in your activities as a twelve-year old, so they would be a waste of space. They are completely irrelevant to your application.

Sorry mate, not quite right there.
At the beginning of your personal statement it's often used to allocate space for introducing 'the seed of interest' towards the course you've applied to. So perhaps if your going to major in English, the spelling bee can be mentioned.
Original post by Stoke123
Sorry mate, not quite right there.
At the beginning of your personal statement it's often used to allocate space for introducing 'the seed of interest' towards the course you've applied to. So perhaps if your going to major in English, the spelling bee can be mentioned.

So you are an advocate of the "When I was a boy ..." or "I knew I was interested in gynaecology as I emerged from my mother's birth canal" line of introduction?
Original post by Good bloke
So you are an advocate of the "When I was a boy ..." or "I knew I was interested in gynaecology as I emerged from my mother's birth canal" line of introduction?

Nope, if I followed your description I doubt I'd be given an offer from Imperial.
If I was for some obscure reason magically interested in 'gynaecology', I would probably start off by describing my experiance from shadowing a surgeon, then relate it to my interest of the human biology.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending