The Student Room Group

Biology menstruation

I have been set some home work and i really am struggling on this question, it says 'give a detailed description of the gland or tissues which are responsible for the synthesis and release of the hormones involved in your endocrine feedback system'.
Im doing the ovarian cycle, and i know that the hypothalamus secreted GnRD, the anterior pituitary gland secretes and produces FSH and LH and that the ovaries produce oestrogen and progesterone is secreted by the corpus luteum, but i dont know how to give a detailed description about these, like do i talk about the structure? how it secretes hormones? im lost
Reply 1
Original post by harrybo6
I have been set some home work and i really am struggling on this question, it says 'give a detailed description of the gland or tissues which are responsible for the synthesis and release of the hormones involved in your endocrine feedback system'.
Im doing the ovarian cycle, and i know that the hypothalamus secreted GnRD, the anterior pituitary gland secretes and produces FSH and LH and that the ovaries produce oestrogen and progesterone is secreted by the corpus luteum, but i dont know how to give a detailed description about these, like do i talk about the structure? how it secretes hormones? im lost

For A-level you do not need to go into much details, but rather explain how each hormones affect each glands at each stage of the cycle . Here's a good example on how to go into detail:

The follicle secretes oestrogen, which is a transcription factor, stimulating protein synthesis. It causes the uterus to rebuild the endometrium wall that has been shed during menstruation...

Reply 2
Original post by kkboyk
For A-level you do not need to go into much details, but rather explain how each hormones affect each glands at each stage of the cycle . Here's a good example on how to go into detail:

I know i dont need to go into that much detail, but i would really like to know as i think it will allow me to understand it a bit more
Reply 3
Original post by harrybo6
I know i dont need to go into that much detail, but i would really like to know as i think it will allow me to understand it a bit more

1. FSH is secreted by the pituitary glands, and stimulates the development of a Graafian follicle in one of the ovaries. This follicle contains a single ovum cell surrounded by other cells.

2. The follicle secretes oestrogen, which is a transcription factor, stimulating protein synthesis (p64). It causes the uterus to rebuild the endometrium wall that has been shed during menstruation. Oestrogen also affects the pituitary gland, initially inhibiting the release of FSH. However, as the follicle gradually develops, the concentration of oestrogen in the blood rises, and it starts to stimulate the release of FSH and LH by the pituitary gland. FSH and LH are protein hormones.

3. The sudden surge of LH at about day 14 causes the fully developed follicle to burst, release the ovum into the oviduct ovulation. LH also stimulates the follicle to develop into a body called the corpus luteum, which secretes progesterone.

4. Progesterone stimulates the uterus to complete the development of the endometrium wall, which is now ready to receive an embryo. Progesterone also inhibits the release of LH and FSH by the pituitary gland, which in turn stops the release of oestrogen and progesterone by the ovaries.

5. The corpus luteum degenerates over the next 10 days, , so less progesterone is secreted. When the concentration of progesterone drops low enough, menstruation is triggered. The inhibition of the pituitary gland is also removed, so FSH starts to be released and the cycle starts again.

Quick Reply

Latest