The Student Room Group

Weird to change your name via deedpoll?

Poll

Weird to change your first name officially via deedpoll?

I've wanted to change my first name for a very long time due to a life-long dislike of it.

Do you think this is weird?

My best friend sulks whenever I mention it - he says it's weird to change your name and that it would affect our friendship because he won't be able to take me seriously anymore.
I've never thought changing your name was a big deal - if you've got a good reason to do it, then why not? My parents are very supportive about it because from a young age I have complained about my name. They say do it now, officially, whilst I'm still young.

So, do you think it's weird to change your name via deedpoll?

Scroll to see replies

What would you change your name to?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
yes, shouldnt b an option tbh
Original post by littlenorthernlass
I've wanted to change my first name for a very long time due to a life-long dislike of it.

My best friend sulks whenever I mention it - he says it's weird to change your name and that it would affect our friendship because he won't be able to take me seriously anymore.
I've never thought changing your name was a big deal - if you've got a good reason to do it, then why not? My parents are very supportive about it because from a young age I have complained about my name. They say do it now, officially, whilst I'm still young.

I changed my surname to take both parents surnames when I was 16 and no one called it werid, they sound like a crap friend. Better to do it now, means less things to change and you get your degree in your new name (there are so many people to notify once you re living in your own place and are working, I m imagining it ll take a couple of months to get it sorted once I m married this year).
I changed my first name; never liked Jacob anyway. I don't much care if anyone thinks it's weird, if it makes me happy being called something I feel comfortable with. They're legitimately not real friends if something like that gets in the way.

Edit: I should add though, "Sky" was a nickname I'd had since childhood due to my tendency to look up at the sky and watch it a lot. So it wasn't a massive difference when I changed it, people mainly just called me what I'd always known.

And the people who didn't? Well, f*ck 'em.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Unless you've got a name that is truly horrible, e.g. that is difficult for people to spell, pronounce, translates into a negative word etc, I don't see the point.

If you have name like 'Matthew' and want to change it just because 'Daniel' sounds better, you're just insulting your parents.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Depends how weird your new name is...

It's not weird, it's in the top 20 baby girls names I think.
Meh. I'd say do it if it will make you happy. If anything, your friend sounds weird for saying that, not the other way around... :indiff:
Original post by littlenorthernlass

It is perfectly fine to do so and you have your parents support. they also make the good point of doing it whilst you are young. People will soon adjust.
Reply 9
It would be weird to try to change you name any other way than via deedpoll.
Original post by SkyRees
I changed my first name; never liked Jacob anyway. I don't much care if anyone thinks it's weird, if it makes me happy being called something I feel comfortable with. They're legitimately not real friends if something like that gets in the way.

Edit: I should add though, "Sky" was a nickname I'd had since childhood due to my tendency to look up at the sky and watch it a lot. So it wasn't a massive difference when I changed it, people mainly just called me what I'd always known.

And the people who didn't? Well, f*ck 'em.

Are you called Skyler or Sky now? :smile:
Meh, I can't stand my common-as-muck name now.

I always hear incompetent parents shouting 'Olivia, OLIVIA, GET BACK HERE NOW!!', and of course 'Olivia' doesn't.
Reply 12
Omg, not weird at all. Change it! I've always wanted to change mine, but didn't get to do it.
Nope, I changed mine a few years ago. The paperwork is a nightmare though! So if you want to do it, do it asap and get it out of the way.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
Are you called Skyler or Sky now? :smile:

Skylar, although I shorten it to Sky pretty much constantly. I made it Skylar officially because at the time I wanted to go into Law and thought Skylar Rees sounded more professional than Sky Rees, I don't know :lol:
Original post by SkyRees
Skylar, although I shorten it to Sky pretty much constantly. I made it Skylar officially because at the time I wanted to go into Law and thought Skylar Rees sounded more professional than Sky Rees, I don't know :lol:

That's awesome. :smile: :tongue:
I wish I had a cool name. :moon:
That's awesome. :smile: :tongue:
I wish I had a cool name. :moon:

Oh I don't know, I think Olivia's a lovely name. :tongue:
(though I dated one for two years and they hated it too. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever met an Olivia happy with their name :rofl: )
Not at all, there is nothing wrong with changing something you're not happy about :smile: I encourage you wholeheartedly to go for it, regardless of what others think about it.

It's your life and your name, not theirs.

The only problem is that your family not might approve at all, in which case you'll just have to tell them it's not their choice.
Original post by SkyRees
Oh I don't know, I think Olivia's a lovely name. :tongue:
(though I dated one for two years and they hated it too. Come to think of it I don't think I've ever met an Olivia happy with their name :rofl: )

Thank you. :smile:
Hahaha :rofl: maybe it's the 'common-ness' of it.
Thank you. :smile:
Hahaha :rofl: maybe it's the 'common-ness' of it.

I know what you mean, my old name was common as dirt and I hated it :rofl:
I don't think it's a super common one though? Maybe it is wherever you are.

Quick Reply

Latest