The Student Room Group

"We don't tip black people" Black waitress told.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
What's said above about tarring people with one brush, it's one thing for someome of a race to offend you and you tar the whole race, we know people of all race can be good or *****y (I hope)

It's another thing when a member of armed force who is responsible to look after you prejudges you or make you feel endangered, sure it might be 5 out of a 1000, maybe less, but this are people who have been given power over my life and I'm suppose to just pray and hope I don't come across the 5 that can shoot me on a whim? Do you know what that feels like? Not knowing which one will discriminate and which won't.

I grew up knowing lazy black people who uses the excuse is it cos I'm black? Till I got arrested for some **** I didn't even know about while studying for my exams, I didn't get it either. Imagine all your work everything taking away because you're black or something you can't control, I didn't get charged or anything but it changed my life, what if I had been charged? What if someone decides to lock me up in the future for something else I haven't done, knowing full well I'm powerless to do ****. Till you experience it don't try to pretend you understand it.
Original post by MathsAndCoffee
I don't tip anyone. It's the responsibility of there employer to provide a decent wage not me.

They do - they provide the minimum wage as is expected of them. Tipping is an extra to supplement the lowest earners' wages in society, as opposed to demanding excessive raises in the minimum wage and pricing less skilled workers out the labour market. America's tipping culture ought to be encouraged over here.
Reply 42
Original post by macromicro
They do - they provide the minimum wage as is expected of them. Tipping is an extra to supplement the lowest earners' wages in society, as opposed to demanding excessive raises in the minimum wage and pricing less skilled workers out the labour market. America's tipping culture ought to be encouraged over here.

Nah in America some people work only for tips or get next to nothing, like takeaway delivery drivers here
Original post by dmz
Nah in America some people work only for tips or get next to nothing, like takeaway delivery drivers here

No they don't - delivery drivers are on minimum wage.
Original post by Len Goodman
A complete non-issue, it's only a couple of dollars.
As this is in the US, it isn't a non-issue; these people's tips are part of their wage - if they're not getting tips, they're not getting paid as much as they should be.
Reply 45
No they don't - delivery drivers are on minimum wage.

They're supposed to be, they're not
Original post by dmz
They're supposed to be, they're not

Are we going to go in circles, or are you going to provide evidence? Which companies hire their drivers for free? And where are these drivers who are happy to work for free? How on earth do Domino's, Pizza Hut, UberEats, Amazon and Postmate turn a profit in the takeaway delivery market if they have to pay minimum wage plus a delivery fee while there are other companies allegedly paying their drivers nothing at all?
Reply 47
Are we going to go in circles, or are you going to provide evidence? Which companies hire their drivers for free? And where are these drivers who are happy to work for free? How on earth do Domino's, Pizza Hut, UberEats, Amazon and Postmate turn a profit in the takeaway delivery market if they have to pay minimum wage plus a delivery fee while there are other companies allegedly paying their drivers nothing at all?

I'm talking about takeaways, the pizza place down the street not a big established corporation like Domino. Also Amazon? what?

How am i going to provide evidence if it's not done by the books? :s-smilie:

I know because i tried to be a takeaway driver while studying at uni for a few bucks but they offer you a few quid an hour, free food and you keep your tips.
Original post by Guru Jason
Its not the money thats the issue here. Its treating a person different because of colour. If we let people get away with here then it allows a dangerous precident as to how far it can go. I mean if they were a doctor, or teacher, and refused their service to a black person, im sure you would agree its wrong. If the service was bad, dont tip. If you dont tip cos youre tight, also fine. If you dont tip a waitress based on colour where if she was white you would is wrong.

It's nice that they had the human decency to tell her she was doing her job very well, then included what amounts to "But even though the service was great, we are proud bigots. We just didn't want your self-esteem to be hurt and have you think you weren't a great waitress. Good job! Sorry 'bout the black, though."
Original post by dmz
I'm talking about takeaways, the pizza place down the street not a big established corporation like Domino. Also Amazon? what?

I'm talking about takeaways too - UberEats, GrubHub, Amazon Prime, etc. deliver takeaway food.

Original post by dmz
How am i going to provide evidence if it's not done by the books? :s-smilie:

I know because i tried to be a takeaway driver while studying at uni for a few bucks but they offer you a few quid an hour, free food and you keep your tips.

So anecdotal evidence. There are of course unscrupulous business owners in every industry and every country, and I agree a wage should not be dependent on tips, only that there ought to be a minimum wage with tips in addition. All of these companies pay a minimum wage and delivery/petrol fee with tips in addition.
Reply 50
I'm talking about takeaways too - UberEats, GrubHub, Amazon Prime, etc. deliver takeaway food.

So anecdotal evidence. There are of course unscrupulous business owners in every industry and every country, and I agree a wage should not be dependent on tips, only that there ought to be a minimum wage with tips in addition. All of these companies pay a minimum wage and delivery/petrol fee with tips in addition.

whatever you say. Amazon, uber is the last thing on my mind when i want takeaway
Original post by joecphillips
It was for being white and for voting trump that was the 2 reasons they were saying "f trump" and "f white people" is what they were saying

How did they know who he voted for?
Reply 52
Original post by cherryred90s
How did they know who he voted for?

He was friends with at least 1 of them
Reply 53
I mean it wouldn't be unlikely - considering it's good old 'Merica.
What does one have to gain from lying about a receipt? Unless proven otherwise I wholeheartedly believe the poor woman, especially considering the current state of the US and the fact that America in general was built off of racism. It's still pretty prevalent and something like this wouldn't really surprise me.

Original post by MathsAndCoffee
I don't tip anyone. It's the responsibility of there employer to provide a decent wage not me.

In Britain it's fair not to tip as our waiters and waitresses are paid minimum wage and many Brit's only tip if they received good service, in America it's customary to leave a certain percentage tip as they're paid a pittance and live off of tips in order to survive. In America if you don't tip its more so seen as incredibly rude, which is fair, if you can afford 20-40$ for a meal you can usually afford to pay about 10% of that to your server. Cultural differences.
If this is true - it's disgusting

If this isn't true - it's equally as disgusting, but in a different way.

End of
Original post by sophiarose97
What does one have to gain from lying about a receipt?

Attention. Political influence. Also didn't she set up a gofundme where people are now paying her thousands of pounds? Or was that the other hoaxer. I can't keep track anymore.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dmz
Cause you're talking so much **** out of your ass, I contemplated debate till I read more than a few lines and there was so much ignorant BS I didn't even know where to begin, then I thought why bother, you have too much misled opinion already set in place, why bother wasting my time explain why you're wrong?

It's just baffling when someone has so much to say about something they know little about.

E: autocorrect, etc

"ignorant B.S"? once again i see big words, but no debating to make me see Your point of view.

"misled opinion"? "why i'm so wrong"? so. if you're Not going to debate me despite my asking to do so; why did you bother quoting me in the first place? i'm not going to listen to what you have to say after all (according to you); i won't bother to debate you and i will just out-right dismiss you (according to you). so why are you quoting me? quoting me to tell me to shut-up doesn't fly fyi. i'm pretty sure i'm allowed my opinions just as you're allowed to tell me to shut-up and i'm allowed to question the necessity for it, request you debate me on my principles and failing that; out-right ignore you for your lack of communication skills. i'm not a liberal. i talk **** out and try to reason with people. this is not twitter/your safe space.
btw, before you start with "you havn't experienced what i'm talking about"; i call ******** on that; as a quick google search will refute any claims that people of differing/varying races do not experience racism (as the most recent attack on that disabled white guy shows). everyone experiences racism; it isn't limited to/subjected to one race.
furthermore your stance on the topic is mildly confusing; "if people havn't experienced it they can't speak"? if that were the case, are you advocating that in a court of law with a victim of rape and mental trauma; the judge that is presiding (and all judges/juries afterwards) are automatically disqualified from speaking on any and all matters pertaining to the case Unless they had been through the same trauma as well? how on earth does that help matters? can you not see how pedantic you're being? it's the same as saying: "if you havn't been a victim of mass murder; don't speak"; which is an out-right disgusting way of viewing things as it only serves to act as an echo-chamber of ones' viewpoints but doesn't in anyway entertain the opposing one.
Regardless, how would you feel if the person has Gone through the repulsive manner with which they were subjected (re: racism/sexism/what-have-you) and still abruptly decide on a position contrary to yours and the manner you'd expect them to view all similar matters? what, would you shut them down as well for not toeing the line and being a subjective echo-chamber for your needs to be validated (like the manner in which black people coons for not seeing the world the way the liberal blacks would like them to. which is just disgusting)?
frankly, i feel like such a viewpoint is not only discriminatory; but outright insulting as well. it only serves to perpetuate the notion that anyone that hasn't been made to feel a certain way; is at once considered irrelevant in all dealings to society; and surely contradicts your viewpoint in a hypocritical manner as with a viewpoint like that you're effectively telling people what to do (re:shut-up) whilst telling them they can't tell You what to do (re:shut-up).

Original post by dmz
With the whole black people do this and that, y'all need to chill. It's like

Act 1 scene 1

The middle east are bombing each other, people dying daily,

China enters, drops a bomb on the middle east
China : they kill each other all the time anyway, what does it matter?

Sure, issues and that whatever, how does it make it okay for anyone else to start mistreating another race because some of them do it to themselves? I grew up fighting my brothers beating the **** out of each other, doesn't mean a randomer on the street can come start hitting my little brother just cos we hit each other.

If you haven't experienced racism, don't speak, just don't if it's not positive don't care about your views. You've not been in that position, you've not experienced the hurt and the feeling to be made feel like a second class citizen. Lots of things gets said in the media, sure not all are true but I don't see a lot of question mark next to the other things but oh it's racism, let's downplay it. If you don't understand, abstain, don't pretend you do. It's insulting.
Original post by sophiarose97
What does one have to gain from lying about a receipt? Unless proven otherwise I wholeheartedly believe the poor woman, especially considering the current state of the US and the fact that America in general was built off of racism. It's still pretty prevalent and something like this wouldn't really surprise me.

Attention, sympathy, sometimes money. It's happened before. Quite often, in fact.

I'm skeptical both because of the history of hoaxes and the fact she went to the press over a note. It seems more like it should have been one of those "well screw you too" and get on with your day moments.
Original post by WBZ144
Really? All hoaxes? Or have you found a few incidents that were hoaxes and are now trying to blow this out of proportion?

I know of plenty of incidents that happened in the recent years that were not hoaxes, such as the two French ladies who were refused service for wearing hijab which was caught on camera, and the Black serviceman who was treated like a criminal in Chili's, also caught on camera.

There is no evidence that she is lying so no need to assume that she is unless we get some. That's how innocent until proven guilty works.

There have been lots stories over the past year of people being left anonymous racist/homophobic/anti-Semitic messages which turned out to be bogus. Something like this is too easy to fake. And honestly, who would go to the press over a note like this? It just seems like an overblown reaction, which again leads me to suspect this is another one of those instances where a person just wants some attention.

You mention innocent until proven guilty. So why believe her story without something more substantial than an anonymous, easily fabricated note?

But whether or not this is another hoax, my main gripe is that there has been no skepticism at all from the media, despite it being warranted.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending