The Student Room Group

Should the government provide free beer to all workers.

I think they should

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Very insensitive to Muslims.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RedManc
I think they should

Who will distill the beer if it's being given away for free? No profits = no wages for the people making it.

I imagine you'd make a "national beer service" and tax people to pay for it; but then, as you'll notice, that isn't free at all, it's just being paid for indirectly as opposed to directly.

It's that old "I like the NHS because it's free" myth again...
Reply 3
Original post by Connor27
Who will distill the beer if it's being given away for free? No profits = no wages for the people making it.

I imagine you'd make a "national beer service" and tax people to pay for it; but then, as you'll notice, that isn't free at all, it's just being paid for indirectly as opposed to directly.

But it would mean you wouldn't have to buy beer so it is no extra tax, unless you are a muslim because they can't drink alcohol. The money will go to pubs. This is so pubs can remain open.
Original post by RedManc
But it would mean you wouldn't have to buy beer so it is no extra tax, unless you are a muslim because they can't drink alcohol. The money will go to pubs. This is so pubs can remain open.

Sorry, your argument is really incoherent, just to clarify:

You would introduce a tax, but it would go to pubs, and your justification for that is that it is no extra expenditure.

Fine, who's gonna pay the wages of the people that distill the beer? If it's not being sold commercially then the employer is making losses and can't pay them permanently, eventually they'll be working for free. That means you need to use the tax to pay wages (that's how nationalised services work), meaning that you can't use the money to fund pubs.

I'd recommend reading up on a little topic called economics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Sorry, your argument is really incoherent, just to clarify:

You would introduce a tax, but it would go to pubs, and your justification for that is that it is no extra expenditure.

Fine, who's gonna pay the wages of the people that distill the beer? If it's not being sold commercially then the employer is making losses and can't pay them permanently, eventually they'll be working for free. That means you need to use the tax to pay wages (that's how nationalised services work), meaning that you can't use the money to fund pubs.

I'd recommend reading up on a little topic called economics.

the government will pay the employer
Original post by RedManc
the government will pay the employer

Where do you think the government gets its money from sunshine? Taxes!

Or would you rather we started borrowing again and rack up eye watering debt and get another recession?
Reply 7
Where do you think the government gets its money from sunshine? Taxes!

There would be no increases in tax, but we'll raid the foreign aid budget.
Original post by RedManc
There would be no increases in tax, but we'll raid the foreign aid budget.

Yeah! And then we get UN and NATO sanctions for not complying with humanitarian efforts.

Welcome to North Korea! All class traitors will be executed.

Also worth pointing out that foreign aid is only 0.7% of the budget, you'll need a little more than that to fund the wages of every person working in a distillery in the U.K.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Yeah! And then we get UN and NATO sanctions for not complying with humanitarian efforts.

Welcome to North Korea! All class traitors will be executed

No not necessarily, we pay the highest amount in foreign aid.
Original post by RedManc
No not necessarily, we pay the highest amount in foreign aid.

It's also only 0.7% of the budget, good luck paying everyone in the alcohol industry's wages with that, people definitely won't go and work abroad for more money with that measly level of funding...
Reply 11
Original post by Pulse.
Very insensitive to Muslims.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think it matters if they brake their religion.
Reply 12
It's also only 0.7% of the budget, good luck paying everyone in the alcohol industry's wages with that, people definitely won't go and work abroad for more money with that measly level of funding...

we'll use the money we stopped paying the EU to fund it

Don't feed the troll :rolleyes:
Reply 14
Original post by Drewski
Don't feed the troll :rolleyes:

I'm not a troll.
Original post by RedManc
I'm not a troll.

Sure kid.
Reply 16
Original post by Drewski
Sure kid.

I'm the Supreme Commander of all the trolls.

Spoiler

Beer is not typically distilled. Although a liquid similar to malt liquor is distilled to make whisky.

Also beer comes in such a wide variety of styles and quality that the government simply giving away free beer of a single type will inevitably not satisfy most beer drinkers. Not all beers are created equal. I'd imagine that the government would give away the cheapest beer they can source, which is typically going to be something similar to Carling/Carlsberg. As there exist people who actually like beer, there is still a market for selling beer to those people.
Free beer- depends on the beer it is. If it is muck called beer such as Budweiser, then no thanks.
Original post by RedManc
I'm not a troll.

You are a troll.
Im sure everyone would agree with me.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending