The Student Room Group

Got rejected by my little sister's grammar school for 6th form

They didn't even invite me to an interview and straightaway reject me :frown: other grammar schools have got in touch with me and said they will contact me soon. But right now, I feel like sh*t. I hope I turn the tables on them by going to Cambridge for CS and graduating with a first.
Reply 1
Pretty big aspirations for a year 11!
Original post by JooW
Pretty big aspirations for a year 11!

Yeah, I know. So?
Reply 3
Original post by ShiawaseNekox3
Yeah, I know. So?

Nothing, just very big aspirations.
Original post by JooW
Nothing, just very big aspirations.

Why does it bother you?
Reply 5
Why does it bother you?

Does it look like I said I did? I wasn't being negative at all kid
They didn't even invite me to an interview and straightaway reject me :frown: other grammar schools have got in touch with me and said they will contact me soon. But right now, I feel like sh*t. I hope I turn the tables on them by going to Cambridge for CS and graduating with a first.

Good for you, if anger motivates you to try had that's something positive. (and much better than just setting the school on fire :smile:
Why does it bother you?

I think he was just impressed!:smile:
Why does it bother you?

Are you serious lmao?

But just saying that wont be enough, you will actually have to do it, realise the amount of work you have to do for a level and start early. If you are 'clever' AS should be ok. At A2 being 'clever' isnt enough you need to work hard aswell, very hard.

My brother goes to a grammar school and my sister has just applied to a grammar school (for yr 7). I went to a state school and I am now at college simply because I just didn't want to sit the tests for grammar school! It DOES NOT define you! In fact it makes me work EVEN harder- just because you don't go to a grammar school doesn't mean you can't do well! (Lol but obvs I still want the best for my siblings!:h:) I still got pretty good GCSE's (lol I didn't revise but I still had good enough grades to apply to the sixth form!) I am now working very very hard for a level and I really want to go to cambridge to study economics!:smile:

Give it your all! Their loss, not yours.:smile: Just remember you CAN still get to cambridge- just work REALLY hard and just remember you may be on a different path to your sister (as in a grammar school!) Best of luck I hope you do really really well!x:biggrin:

Hey btw what GCSE's are you doing?x:h:
Reply 12
I left a grammar school (by choice) and went to a state school. I think the teachers actually care about us at my school and they're much better.

But I wish I didn't change bc I find them too overbearing at this school- but I'm strange so most people would find caring teachers better 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
I currently attend a grammar school for sixth form. I started at the school in year 7 and so when I got to do A levels I needed 5 A*-C and then A's in the subjects I wanted to take to A2 (or B's for non-science subjects). However people who came externally were required to get a certain number of A's and A*'s as well. Apparently this year they were lenient though as my year they didn't get enough students in. Not going to a grammar school isn't too major. Going to a grammar school will not make you clever. You need to put the work in to get the results out. However you will be pushed and stretched a lot more in a grammar school which will help you get where you want to be. The teachers at my school do also care about you as a human being- they aren't just driving an exam factory, but if they know you aren't working hard enough they will tell you.
So long as you put the effort in you can do well wherever you go. The key thing is staying motivated and true to your goals. At grammar schools you are surrounded by others who all have the same goal in mind- to achieve highly. However at a local college, that may not be the case. Some people may just be doing A levels just because they need to stay in education until the age of 18.
tl;dr So long as you work hard you can achieve whatever you want to achieve.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by emduck
I currently attend a grammar school for sixth form. I started at the school in year 7 and so when I got to do A levels I needed 5 A*-C and then A's in the subjects I wanted to take to A2 (or B's for non-science subjects). However people who came externally were required to get a certain number of A's and A*'s as well. Apparently this year they were lenient though as my year they didn't get enough students in. Not going to a grammar school isn't too major. Going to a grammar school will not make you clever. You need to put the work in to get the results out. However you will be pushed and stretched a lot more in a grammar school which will help you get where you want to be.
So long as you put the effort in you can do well wherever you go. The key thing is staying motivated and true to your goals. At grammar schools you are surrounded by others who all have the same goal in mind- to achieve highly. However at a local college, that may not be the case. Some people may just be doing A levels just because they need to stay in education until the age of 18.
tl;dr So long as you work hard you can achieve whatever you want to achieve.

"However you will be pushed and stretched a lot more in a grammar school which will help you get where you want to be."
I disagree with this- I went to a very good state school and now go to a good college and they certainly stretch and challenge!!! Btw I' sure the majority of people at colleges DO want to do well in a levels (but obvs there are a few who just **** around)...
Reply 15
Original post by sunshine774
"However you will be pushed and stretched a lot more in a grammar school which will help you get where you want to be."
I disagree with this- I went to a very good state school and now go to a good college and they certainly stretch and challenge!!! Btw I' sure the majority of people at colleges DO want to do well in a levels (but obvs there are a few who just **** around)...

Sorry I didn't mean to offend- I am just going from the experience I have had with my sisters college, along with what I have heard from people who came from other schools. I think my wording was probably quite wrong- I should've thought about what I said more. It could be down to my general experience as there are loads of grammar schools, and so I haven't experienced a normal state school- just comprehensive schools. Also as a result the most able students all attend grammar schools- and as a result it reflects negatively on the local colleges and comprehensive schools. I was wrong to generalise across the entire nation, something I now realise.
I also didn't mean to insinuate that all state schools are bad either, I know one or two good state-schools that are near-ish me though were too far away for me to be able to go to them.
Original post by emduck
Sorry I didn't mean to offend- I am just going from the experience I have had with my sisters college, along with what I have heard from people who came from other schools. I think my wording was probably quite wrong- I should've thought about what I said more. It could be down to my general experience as there are loads of grammar schools, and so I haven't experienced a normal state school- just comprehensive schools. Also as a result the most able students all attend grammar schools- and as a result it reflects negatively on the local colleges and comprehensive schools. I was wrong to generalise across the entire nation, something I now realise.
I also didn't mean to insinuate that all state schools are bad either, I know one or two good state-schools that are near-ish me though were too far away for me to be able to go to them.

That's OK- I understand!x:h:
if you want good grades at alevel you do not need to go to a grammar school honestly

i got an A* at alevel in psychology for instance by just self teaching the majority of my course and not turning up for lessons when i realised i could do a lot better just by doing it myself as opposed to relying on my teacher.

also if you want to get ahead how about learning some of the content over the summer . if you know the subjects and the spec you could start going through the books

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending