The Student Room Group

Thigh rash after jogging.

I love going jogging, I ran 10 miles wearing sports outfit for better ventilation but I always get thigh rashes after runs. Do you guys have any advice or suggestions for me in how to avoid getting rashes. Any opinions will be appreciated, Thanks!
on your inner thighs?
easiest thing is just wearing something tight on your inner thigh so there's material between your skin + it doesn't rub, so running tights/tight 'cycling' style shorts
you can also try some sort of lubrication e.g. bodyglide, chamois - but in my experience it tends to rub/sweat off quite fast and feels weird
Original post by doodle_333
on your inner thighs?
easiest thing is just wearing something tight on your inner thigh so there's material between your skin + it doesn't rub, so running tights/tight 'cycling' style shorts
you can also try some sort of lubrication e.g. bodyglide, chamois - but in my experience it tends to rub/sweat off quite fast and feels weird

Yes, it's the inner thighs. Yeah thanks that would be great, I will try tights and some bodyglide. It's annoying having rashes everytime after jogging :angry:. Thanks for your's advice :smile:
Original post by Mr. Petrol Head
I love going jogging, I ran 10 miles wearing sports outfit for better ventilation but I always get thigh rashes after runs. Do you guys have any advice or suggestions for me in how to avoid getting rashes. Any opinions will be appreciated, Thanks!

Sounds like chafing. There's quite a few remedies out there that can help stop it happening, but I don't see any lasting for exercise like that. Make sure your inner thighs are covering with somewhat tight material, like cycling shorts or something that wont cause a lot of friction on your skin or ride up
Original post by chelseadagg3r
Sounds like chafing. There's quite a few remedies out there that can help stop it happening, but I don't see any lasting for exercise like that. Make sure your inner thighs are covering with somewhat tight material, like cycling shorts or something that wont cause a lot of friction on your skin or ride up

Yes, it doesn't happen always, but when I don't jog for days, it comes back again. I think losing weight might help too. Yes I will try tights and see if its better. Thanks for your advice :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by Mr. Petrol Head

Reasons I have heard of for this are

Rubbing- in which case I believe different clothes, talcum powder and anything else to reduce friction helps.

Tight muscles- (It was explained to me by a nurse at some point a long time ago so I hope I can explain it well enough.) This is down to your muscles not normally getting that much blood flow to them (cos you don't usually use them that much) and the new blood flow causes stinging/ itching. In this case i think it improves as your body gets used to exercising more.

Anyway it's a common issue so i'm sure if you look on jogging/ running forums and sites you can find some decent advice. You may also be able to get help from a pharmacy, gym or sports shop. I think it's something often mentioned about marathons.
Original post by Kindred
Reasons I have heard of for this are

Rubbing- in which case I believe different clothes, talcum powder and anything else to reduce friction helps.

Tight muscles- (It was explained to me by a nurse at some point a long time ago so I hope I can explain it well enough.) This is down to your muscles not normally getting that much blood flow to them (cos you don't usually use them that much) and the new blood flow causes stinging/ itching. In this case i think it improves as your body gets used to exercising more.

Anyway it's a common issue so i'm sure if you look on jogging/ running forums and sites you can find some decent advice. You may also be able to get help from a pharmacy, gym or sports shop. I think it's something often mentioned about marathons.

Yes you are right, I haven't run since my semester began, because of that my thighs weren't used to the running conditions. Thanks for your advice

Quick Reply

Latest