The Student Room Group

Does anyone need glasses/contacts but doesn't wear them?

I just don't want to feel alone. What is the strength of the glasses/contacts you have, and why don't you wear them?
I will start:
I need -0.75 on both eyes. I don't wear them because I can still see the board without them, its blurred, but I can still read the writing.

Scroll to see replies

Stopped wearing my contacts yesterday because my eyes were really dry but I'm using eye drops to help.
i am about -0.5 in one eye and -0.75 in the other but i never wear them cause i get headaches when i do and it doesn't make much of a difference to me :smile:
Once i wore them and my friends tried them and they said they couldn't see a difference
I did that when I was first prescribed glasses, part-time. Big mistake.
My vision deteriorated, and at my next opticians appointment, I was told that I then needed to wear glasses full-time. Meh.
I would strongly advise against this - the longer you don't wear glasses when you need them, the quicker they will deteriorate because they're working harder then they should and you'll need an even stronger prescription.
Reply 5
Original post by CrystalSalvatore
i am about -0.5 in one eye and -0.75 in the other but i never wear them cause i get headaches when i do and it doesn't make much of a difference to me :smile:
Once i wore them and my friends tried them and they said they couldn't see a difference

You're getting headaches because you're not wearing them when you should be. The headaches from wearing them will go away after time. It happened to me. :yep:
Original post by Airmed
You're getting headaches because you're not wearing them when you should be. The headaches from wearing them will go away after time. It happened to me. :yep:

I never get headaches when i don't wear them, only if i do, so i don't see much point in wearing them
I never get headaches when i don't wear them, only if i do, so i don't see much point in wearing them

Your brain needs to get used to wearing them. Take some pain killers and fight through it for a day or two and then you'll be fine. The longer you don't wear them the quicker your eyesight will deteriorate.
Reply 8

You'll need them at some point probably.
yes I even need polarised lenses and I get headaches without them.
Reply 10
I have glasses but I will NEVER wear them outside until I get a pair of frames that actually suit my face. No glasses look good on me but I still can't get contacts bc my eyes are too sensitive for them :colondollar:

oh, and my prescription +2.25
Moved to Health

Original post by Dusky Mauve
Your brain needs to get used to wearing them. Take some pain killers and fight through it for a day or two and then you'll be fine. The longer you don't wear them the quicker your eyesight will deteriorate.

I get the same problem every time I change glasses - no matter how small the change in prescrption is. Like you've said, it does go after a few days.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Moved to Health

I get the same problem every time I change glasses - no matter how small the change in prescrption is. Like you've said, it does go after a few days.

I recently got a new pair of glasses that had the same prescription in, but they have a much bigger lens and I still had this problem cos I wasn't used to the curvature of the lens round the sides!
I'm 17 and my eyesight is about -6.75 and -6.25, obviously I should be wearing them but my parents keep saying that it's the glasses which are making my eyes worse & the whole concept of wearing glasses is a scam and the companies are making money off customers constantly buying glasses/contacts etc. Also, when I stopped wearing glasses and had my appointment my optician noticed that my eyesight improved to a minimal extent :colonhash:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by squirrology
I'm 17 and my eyesight is about -6.75 and -6.25, obviously I should be wearing them but my parents keep saying that it's the glasses which are making my eyes are worse & the whole concept of wearing glasses is a scam and the companies are making money off customers constantly buying glasses/contacts etc. Also, when I stopped wearing glasses and had my appointment my optician noticed that my eyesight improved to a minimal extent :colonhash:

How do you function day to day not wearing them? Surely you have to bring everything to an inch away from your face to see it?
Original post by Dusky Mauve
How do you function day to day not wearing them? Surely you have to bring everything to an inch away from your face to see it?

The only times where I wear glasses is in class/library. Otherwise, I can pretty much go through the day without them.
Meee. I'm -1 in both eyes but don't wear my contacts anymore because I have little need for them.
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
I did that when I was first prescribed glasses, part-time. Big mistake.
My vision deteriorated, and at my next opticians appointment, I was told that I then needed to wear glasses full-time. Meh.

The idea that wearing (or not wearing) glasses can deteriorate vision is, frankly, an old wives tale.

I wear glasses, my prescription is -1.75 in both eyes. I didn't wear them all the time on my first prescription (-0.5) though.
Original post by navarre
The idea that wearing (or not wearing) glasses can deteriorate vision is, frankly, an old wives tale.

I wear glasses, my prescription is -1.75 in both eyes. I didn't wear them all the time on my first prescription (-0.5) though.

How the f**k is it an old wives tale if it did actually happen? :lol:
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
How the f**k is it an old wives tale if it did actually happen? :lol:

Your eyes would have deteriorated the same had you been wearing glasses. It's logical to conclude that your vision deteriorated because you weren't wearing them, but unfortunately, there's no evidence that it causes it.

Quick Reply

Latest