The Student Room Group

I have absolutely everything but I'm depressed. What can I do?

I have all the money, clothes, food, gadgets, intellect/great grades, looks, sex partners and everything else I could possibly want, but I'm depressed. I do have a lot of underlying, personal issues.

Nothing helps; meds don't work (and have never, despite taking different meds in different amounts), private counselling hasn't achieved anything (in my opinion), I exercise everyday, have a great diet and I have no idea what to do. I'm an outgoing and confident person all the time, I'm excellent in group and one to one social interactions, etc. I'm always depressed inside; I want to scream and cry as hard as I can (which I often do), and when I'm on my own I feel so lonely, sad, bitter and miserable.

Sometimes I have someone hug me in bed while I thrash about, crying and screaming, telling me that everything is okay, trying to make me feel better. I have so many thoughts rushing through my head every second of the day regardless of what I'm doing. I feel isolated, that nobody understands, and that I have a 'great life' so I have no right to be depressed. Maybe if I met someone who understood it might help, but I have never met anyone like that before. I don't know where to go from here.
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Glassapple
I have all the money, clothes, food, gadgets, intellect/great grades, looks, sex partners and everything else I could possibly want, but I'm depressed.

Nothing helps; meds don't work (and have never, despite taking different meds in different amounts), private counselling hasn't achieved anything (in my opinion), I exercise everyday, hav a great diet and I have no idea what to do. I'm an outgoing and confident person all the time, I'm excellent in group and one to one social interactions, etc. I'm always depressed inside; I want to scream and cry as hard as I can (which I often do), and when I'm on my own I feel so lonely, sad, bitter and miserable.

Sometimes I have someone hug me in bed while I thrash about, crying and screaming, telling me that everything is okay, trying to make me feel better. I have so many thoughts rushing through my head every second of the day regardless of what I'm doing. I feel isolated, that nobody understands, and that I have a 'great life' so I have no right to be depressed. Maybe if I met someone who understood it might help, but I have never met anyone like that before. I don't know where to go from here, as I type with tears streaming down my face in the darkness of my bedroom.

That last bit in bold you put there makes me think this story is doubtful. In a way you kind of sound insincere,

But, giving you the benefit of the doubt, have you spoken to friends or family about this? It could be just you being a hormonal teenager or it could be depression, but do confide in a close friend about it.
get over yourself and learn to appreciate how good you've got it?
Original post by Loopy91
That last bit in bold you put there makes me think this story is doubtful. In a way you kind of sound insincere,

But, giving you the benefit of the doubt, have you spoken to friends or family about this? It could be just you being a hormonal teenager or it could be depression, but do confide in a close friend about it.

Well I don't know how you interpreteted it like that; the darkness was comfort
Img in a weird way when I was upset. I'll delete it if in some world it comes off like that...

Yes I have spoken to friends and family, it doesn't help and it is depression as I've been diagnosed with it and an taking medication for it.

Original post by Anonymous
get over yourself and learn to appreciate how good you've got it?

Do you not think I've tried that? It doesn't work.
(edited 7 years ago)
Anybody with anything productive to say?
I've been through crippling depression, and no one was able to help me either. You just have to find that light in the end of the tunnel within you on your own, you know?
Original post by AnnaRainbows
I've been through crippling depression, and no one was able to help me either. You just have to find that light in the end of the tunnel within you on your own, you know?

I've tried, but I just can't find it. Is there anything productive I can do about it?
I've tried, but I just can't find it. Is there anything productive I can do about it?

Have you considered meditating? Using one of those meditation apps like Headspace?
Original post by DedicatedWizard
Have you considered meditating? Using one of those meditation apps like Headspace?

Thanks, no I haven't, but I'll give it a go as I'm willing to try anything at this point.
Thanks, no I haven't, but I'll give it a go as I'm willing to try anything at this point.

I hope it helps. I have never had the patience for it and I hope it helps you more than it did for me :biggrin: Let me know how it goes!

Personally, I found it with discipline. Once you rationally realise yourself that depression won't get you anywhere, you start coming up with options of how to get rid of it. It's like a clingy predatory animal that just won't let go and honestly at one point it just turned into anger instead, and that anger into motivation to get better. I found my passion in life and set goals, and creating purpose to my existence was the foundation for it all. Once you redirect that negative melancholic energy to a progress path, you'll crawl out of that bloody cave we label 'depression'.
Anybody with anything productive to say?

Students on TSR are not going to be of much help. If anything this is even less helpfull than what you've already tried. You say private counselling doesn't help, maybe try a different counsellor? Is there any other medication to try? It's a bit cocky of you to say that considering we're literally just a bunch of everyday students - this is not the place for mental health problems - we won't be able to help you!
Original post by Loopy91
Students on TSR are not going to be of much help. If anything this is even less helpfull than what you've already tried. You say private counselling doesn't help, maybe try a different counsellor? Is there any other medication to try? It's a bit cocky of you to say that considering we're literally just a bunch of everyday students - this is not the place for mental health problems - we won't be able to help you!

Thanks for your answer. I've been to six different private counsellors, have tried seven different antidepressants in different strengths and combinations, etc. My doctor just wants to try me on another antidepressant, which I can't see working. I posted on here because the professionals haven't been able to help me very much at all so far, I'm at a loss.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 13
Man up, aint nobody got time to be depressed.
Asmr videos help me relax, exams constant school grades being judged on how much you can remember off a textbook can be annoying
try find your purpose your why and thatll make you wake up in the morning
Original post by XueYing
Man up, aint nobody got time to be depressed.
Asmr videos help me relax, exams constant school grades being judged on how much you can remember off a textbook can be annoying
try find your purpose your why and thatll make you wake up in the morning

How do I find my purpose when everything is in front of me and I can't see a away forward at all? I'm sat here with everything I could ever want, breaking inside.
I have all the money, clothes, food, gadgets, intellect/great grades, looks, sex partners and everything else I could possibly want, but I'm depressed. I do have a lot of underlying, personal issues.

Nothing helps; meds don't work (and have never, despite taking different meds in different amounts), private counselling hasn't achieved anything (in my opinion), I exercise everyday, hav a great diet and I have no idea what to do. I'm an outgoing and confident person all the time, I'm excellent in group and one to one social interactions, etc. I'm always depressed inside; I want to scream and cry as hard as I can (which I often do), and when I'm on my own I feel so lonely, sad, bitter and miserable.

Sometimes I have someone hug me in bed while I thrash about, crying and screaming, telling me that everything is okay, trying to make me feel better. I have so many thoughts rushing through my head every second of the day regardless of what I'm doing. I feel isolated, that nobody understands, and that I have a 'great life' so I have no right to be depressed. Maybe if I met someone who understood it might help, but I have never met anyone like that before. I don't know where to go from here.

PM me

Posted from TSR Mobile

You have to reflect deeply and think what your purpose in life is, that will help.
Hello. I was in the EXACT same situation as you are, believe it or not.

I believe what you're looking for/ desperately need is God. This might sound ridiculous right now, but not after you think deeply about it. If you've got everything materialistic and that doesn't make you happy, what is the one single thing that has the chance to make you happy?

What could also work as a temporary cure is a deep connection with someone. Not sex partners, but someone you feel a deep connection with, be it romantic or non-romantic. This will help because all love is a form of God's love, and God's love is the ONLY thing that will give humans unimaginable joy, calm, and contentedness- this seems crazy from a depressed person's negative mindset, but believe me it's true.

I think the whole point of life is to realise, at some point, that all the things us humans are chasing are worthless, they ain't worth lifting a finger for. They won't make us happy, not really, not forever, not unconditionally. Some people (like you and I) need to actually get given everything in life in order to realise their worthlessness, some people do so without having had much in life. Some people will keep chasing in the rat race till the moment they die.

Think about it my friend. I hope you will be as happy one day as I feel right now. :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
I believe what you're looking for/ desperately need is God. This might sound ridiculous right now, but not after you think deeply about it. If you've got everything materialistic and that doesn't make you happy, what is the one single thing that has the chance to make you happy?

It sounds like your medication is not completely effective. A good psychiatrist should be able to suggest something different, or in addition, to your current medication. Antidepressants aren't the only drugs that can be used.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 19

I can empathise with you. I can't say I'm free of depression at this point, it is a very potent illness that never goes away completely. Kinda like the flu, or coldsores... What you've described very closely resembles my experiences, I'm happy to talk to you, PM if u like. Maybe we can solve each others' problems, wouldn't that be something!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending