The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

to quote hamilton

IM PAST PATIENTLY WAITING
Original post by IcedArizona
Yep! I don't know why but Dr Ellis reminded me of Dumbledore cause he was just so calming x) sounds weird I know

Ahahaha 😂 Mr Bond was like "I'm a chemist," so I said "im sorry i didn't take your subject" and he said "I thought you were going to say "im sorry you're a chemist"" 😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm currently reading a book about the history of cryptography. I'm on the chapter about enigma and it keeps mentioning D-Day. So much for reading to take my mind off Cambridge...
Original post by trythis
Is your daughter EU/Scotland or RUK? From what I can tell they won't be sending out EU offers for a while yet, but RUK offers will be soon.

She is in England, at 6th form in Cambridge, at it happens. Ironically, i'm Scottish and she has the most Scottish name ever imaginable but, sadly, that would count for nil in terms of fees at Edinburgh.

She really, really likes Edinburgh Uni and loves the course. Also holding an offer from York but is not so excited by them.

Coincidences abound, her 6th form had their start of term dinner at Girton and the head of 6th form is an old Girtonian. I guess it was inevitable she would apply there and is her first choice, she loves the whole atmosphere of Girton, the DoS and, for her course, it's one of the top 3 across all the colleges.

I really hope you get the result you want on Thursday. All the best.
(edited 7 years ago)

And it's an emmanuel rejection as well lool 😩 Seems they used to actually send letters to rejects too...
Original post by PythagoreanBro
I'm currently reading a book about the history of cryptography. I'm on the chapter about enigma and it keeps mentioning D-Day. So much for reading to take my mind off Cambridge...

Ha! And it will go on to mention Turing, and lots more Cambridge links...

Perfect :smile:
Original post by domaths
And it's an emmanuel rejection as well lool 😩 Seems they used to actually send letters to rejects too...

Dangit, you're right! I won't even have a letter to burn! Guess I'll just print the email lol
Original post by domaths

This video is probably the reason why they don't anymore :biggrin:
Reply 1268
Original post by Student1256
But @zacken showed me the menu for the buttery and it was so cheap. Nothing was more than £3, I don't think you can find food that cheap anywhere else, even if you cook for yourself. And the reason for that is they take extra money on accommodation so food can
Be cheap and higher quality. And about healthy there's always a vegetarian option ( not necessarily healthy though as it might be drenched in different sorts of fats to make it palatable. It's a common technique used in making vegetarian dishes as it makes the meal more palatable.)

College food (with a couple of exceptions) is generally bland at best, borderline inedible at worst. Also not all colleges do KFC.

I'm note sure if you've been to a supermarket recently, but you can spend far less than £3 per meal if you know what to cook.
Original post by jneill
Ha! And it will go on to mention Turing, and lots more Cambridge links...

Perfect :smile:

Oh yes! Its gone off on a tangent about Turing's life and makes a point of mentioning how great a time his years at Cambridge were :rolleyes:
Reply 1270
Original post by Rachel58
Cooking is one of the things that really excites me about university. Like...being able to choose portion size and WHAT I eat everyday (depending on my kitchen abilities)??? Brilliant. Not every having to go to the school canteen ever again. Food that's actually not made out of cardboard. Amazing.

Good luck! Just get some semi-decent equipment and experiment!
Original post by alow
College food (with a couple of exceptions) is generally bland at best, borderline inedible at worst. Also not all colleges do KFC.

I'm note sure if you've been to a supermarket recently, but you can spend far less than £3 per meal if you know what to cook.

Do the cooks make any noticeably extra effort regarding quality of the food when it comes to formals?
Is food at Caius still really bad or has it improved? I've heard it has got quite a reputation but oh well :tongue:
Original post by trythis
Edinburgh hasn't replied to me either yet, and it's my first choice for when Cam rejects me :angry:

Same! What course?
Reply 1274
Original post by Palette
Do the cooks make any noticeably extra effort regarding quality of the food when it comes to formals?

In my experience formal food is generally pretty good. That may not be true for every college however.
Original post by alow

Quite stupid to expect someone to know how much a meal would cost to make getting the ingredients from an English supermarket when they don't live in England.
£3 isn't much to work with and its quite time consuming to make your own food, isn't it? Going out to buy ingredients every couple days,unless you buy bulk which would be a pain to store, and then further time spent cooking it. I don't get the KFC bit though and yes I've heard lots of bad things about college food so i guess you'd cook for yourself (which would be a pain) if your college is one of the ones with bad food.
Original post by IcedArizona
Is food at Caius still really bad or has it improved? I've heard it has got quite a reputation but oh well :tongue:

No bs I'm 100% convinced that the food is actually bad. I thought maybe it's a psychological thing since one would hear bad things about caius food and it would affect their opinion but this girl I met who was applying to caius said the same thing about the food being bad and no one had told her about it either. Idk how repulsive the food must be that its unanimously said to be disgusting :laugh:
Reply 1277
Original post by Student1256
Quite stupid to expect someone to know how much a meal would cost to make getting the ingredients from an English supermarket when they don't live in England.
£3 isn't much to work with and its quite time consuming to make your own food, isn't it? Going out to buy ingredients every couple days,unless you buy bulk which would be a pain to store, and then further time spent cooking it. I don't get the KFC bit though and yes I've heard lots of bad things about college food so i guess you'd cook for yourself (which would be a pain) if your college is one of the ones with bad food.

Quite stupid to say how much a meal costs to make if you have no idea how much things cost in England.

There's lots of things you can prep and cook in less than 20 minutes. There's no reason why you couldn't make time for cooking if you are decent at time management. I find cooking can be quite therapeutic after a long day.
Original post by lemonlime98
Same! What course?

CompSci, and hoping to talk my way into studying a couple of languages and Linguistics as outside courses. You?
Original post by alow
Quite stupid to say how much a meal costs to make if you have no idea how much things cost in England.

There's lots of things you can prep and cook in less than 20 minutes. There's no reason why you couldn't make time for cooking if you are decent at time management. I find cooking can be quite therapeutic after a long day.

You're a natsci, right? Not sure if you've mentioned this before, but which college are you at again (if you don't mind me asking?)

Latest

Trending

Trending