The Student Room Group

Incomplete combustion question

We have been recently been covering combustion in Chemistry. I understand that complete combustion gives off water and carbon dioxide. However, incomplete combustion has 3 products and they are water, carbon monoxide and carbon. How do I find out what products are formed in the reaction? I know water is always produced but what about the carbon and carbon monoxide.
Reply 1
Original post by tajtsracc
Usually the question will tell you which of the two products will form. At least, that's what AQA does, anyway.

Okay, thank you very much for your answer
Reply 2
But water is always formed, correct?
Original post by A1i
We have been recently been covering combustion in Chemistry. I understand that complete combustion gives off water and carbon dioxide. However, incomplete combustion has 3 products and they are water, carbon monoxide and carbon. How do I find out what products are formed in the reaction? I know water is always produced but what about the carbon and carbon monoxide.

Hiya,

Just as you've written in your post there are different products for complete and incomplete combustion.

Complete combustion: water, carbon dioxide

Incomplete combustion: water carbon monoxide and carbon particulates (they haven't combusted due to a lack of oxygen).

These products are formed in every equation. So you'll need to write out the combustion equation each time and balance it.
Reply 4
Okay,thanks for the help.
Reply 5
Original post by VioletPhillippo
Hiya,

Just as you've written in your post there are different products for complete and incomplete combustion.

Complete combustion: water, carbon dioxide

Incomplete combustion: water carbon monoxide and carbon particulates (they haven't combusted due to a lack of oxygen).

These products are formed in every equation. So you'll need to write out the combustion equation each time and balance it.

Thank you for the help!
Original post by A1i
But water is always formed, correct?

Yes, hydrogen is far too reactive to be produced.
Carbon monoxide is a colourless gas. If they tell that that there is a black solid then that is carbon particles.
Reply 8
Original post by charco
Carbon monoxide is a colourless gas. If they tell that that there is a black solid then that is carbon particles.

Thanks for the help! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest