The Student Room Group

Has political upheaval made you anxious for the future?

Poll

Has political upheaval made you anxious for the future?

The Prince's Trust have released some new research which indicates that young people's self-confidence is at its lowest ebb in eight years :frown::frown:

After surveying over 2000 16-25 year olds, over half revealed that political events had made them fear for their futures, with 41% more anxious than they were a year ago.

Key findings showed:

- 50% felt it was harder to get a job than a year ago;

- 42% felt traditional goals like home ownership or a steady job were unrealistic;

- 34% felt they were likely to have a worse standard of living than their parents;

- 28% felt out of control of their lives :shock:

(full story can be found here)

Have you felt any of the above worries after a difficult 2016?

Do you feel your goals are now harder to achieve?

How do you think young peoples' confidence can be given a boost for the future?

Scroll to see replies

The worse standard of living than my parents is the only real issue I ever get concerned about on that list.
lol

Access to information is a double-edged sword. Young people have the world's knowledge at their fingertips, yet most of them choose to sit around and ***** about everything all the time, commenting on things they don't understand, and of course wasting time playing video games or watching the twentieth iteration of that classic sitcom from the 80s.

The word “felt” is used very well in this instance because that's what the main issue is: they feel instead of think.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by discobish
The Prince's Trust have released some new research which indicates that young people's self-confidence is at its lowest ebb in eight years :frown::frown:

After surveying over 2000 16-25 year olds, over half revealed that political events had made them fear for their futures, with 41% more anxious than they were a year ago.

Key findings showed:

- 50% felt it was harder to get a job than a year ago;

- 42% felt traditional goals like home ownership or a steady job were unrealistic;

- 34% felt they were likely to have a worse standard of living than their parents;

- 28% felt out of control of their lives :shock:

(full story can be found here)

Have you felt any of the above worries after a difficult 2016?

Do you feel your goals are now harder to achieve?

How do you think young peoples' confidence can be given a boost for the future?

Instead of teaching people to avoid conflict and challenges in their life they should be taught not to be such snowflakes.

Participation medals and safe spaces are creating a generation of people who have the mental rigidity of a frog mating with an elephant.

#Generation Snowflake
idk. tbh i think this sounds a tad bit whiny. sure, things don't seem as perfect as we'd like but life isn't perfect. we should be grateful that we aren't forced to go off and fight in wars and that (for the most part) equality and social acceptance is higher than it was in the 60s and 70s.

tacky, sure, but if we really wanted to do something, we'd do it. so, it's not fair to say that things are holding you back, you have to achieve things for yourself.

the only thing i'm moderately concerned about, is the state of the NHS when i come to start working in it (in like 8 years or so) but even then i know that, i'll be able to pursue what i wanted to.
Original post by homeland.lsw
idk. tbh i think this sounds a tad bit whiny. sure, things don't seem as perfect as we'd like but life isn't perfect. we should be grateful that we aren't forced to go off and fight in wars and that (for the most part) equality and social acceptance is higher than it was in the 60s and 70s.

tacky, sure, but if we really wanted to do something, we'd do it. so, it's not fair to say that things are holding you back, you have to achieve things for yourself.

the only thing i'm moderately concerned about, is the state of the NHS when i come to start working in it (in like 8 years or so) but even then i know that, i'll be able to pursue what i wanted to.

Agree with this.

This sounds a lot like "boohoo Brexit, I might not be able to go on Erasmus" (although thats pretty absurd)

Compared with political upheaval in years previous which meant a chance of getting killed in war or having the country invaded by the Germans.
Nobody is truly in control of their lives. To suggest so is absurd.
No. I've never experienced any of the hardships my parents and grandparents have faced, my generation has had it so easy and we need to stop pretending that millennials have it hard compared with the greatest generation and the generation after which was born into rationing, so I say we stick our hands down or pants and grab our balls, well those of us who have them because thinking Brexit and Trump is is a crisis spits in the face of every child who has experienced real poverty.
I definitely feel that Brexit has had a huge impact on my career prospects. I'm interested in a career in finance and a lot of the large financial services firms are looking at cutting back on jobs and moving some to other financial centres. If we leave the single market without negotiating some sort of deal for banking services, it will get even worse.

Not only this but a lot of the clearing/back office jobs in finance are at risk of being moved to Paris. My dad works in this job so he's quite worried due to the Brexit vote, although his boss has stated that they aren't looking at cutting back at the moment.
Original post by Rakas21
Instead of teaching people to avoid conflict and challenges in their life they should be taught not to be such snowflakes.

Participation medals and safe spaces are creating a generation of people who have the mental rigidity of a frog mating with an elephant.

#Generation Snowflake

We should not avoid conflict but there are also be spaces where people are free to raise issues - without being shouted down and silenced with threats.
Reply 10
Well as someone who wanted to go into politics, ive realised what its really like and i still have little dignity left to say no so now I'm looking for something else
Voted: Not at all.

Brexit doesn't stop my plans, except that I am planning to transfer my butt to Europe once uni finishes instead of spending the rest of my life in the UK.

I don't want to live with the dumb f*cks who've voted to destroy the UK, or give my taxes to fund their job-dodging/blame everyone lifestyle.
Not even slightly. The only effects of the recent political upheavals for me have been to make the news a bit more exciting.
Original post by zayn008
Well as someone who wanted to go into politics, ive realised what its really like and i still have little dignity left to say no so now I'm looking for something else

Not interested in being a force for change in our political system then?
Reply 14
Original post by Retired_Messiah
Not interested in being a force for change in our political system then?

I'm brown, wouldn't have an upper class background and I'm pretty much a centrist. In today's world I wouldn't stand a chance, even still the job means i have to give up the best parts about myself since I'm not always a serious guy, i like having fun, I like making the best of things. If you take political office you dedicate your life to it, you have to be serious, you cant do what you want but rather what you need to do… I thought maybe i could do it and keep those qualities but i dont think thats possible, and also to be successful you more or less have to sell your soul to people with money and influence. Not to mention politicians never get a good reputation when people look back. Guess I'll keep my mind open to it but It's not my main aim in life anymore… which is tough because I don't know what else i want to do
Original post by zayn008
I'm brown, wouldn't have an upper class background and I'm pretty much a centrist. In today's world I wouldn't stand a chance, even still the job means i have to give up the best parts about myself since I'm not always a serious guy, i like having fun, I like making the best of things.

If you marketed these traits right you'd be exactly what a lot of people want.
Reply 16
Original post by Retired_Messiah
If you marketed these traits right you'd be exactly what a lot of people want.

You really do know how to boost someone's morale, thanks :smile: My plan was always to go into journalism and from there into politics but lately ive been thinking i want to go into some sort of creative media afterwards.. i guess I shouldn't rule it out. But anyways, Cheers I really appreciate it :biggrin:
Original post by zayn008
You really do know how to boost someone's morale, thanks :smile: My plan was always to go into journalism and from there into politics but lately ive been thinking i want to go into some sort of creative media afterwards.. i guess I shouldn't rule it out. But anyways, Cheers I really appreciate it :biggrin:

You're welcome I guess but like I was just talkin sense innit
Young liberal millennials need to stop moaning and man up. You all have it easy - technology and the internet right at your doorstep, university a piece of p*ss to get into, more choices than ever before with regards to jobs and careers, free healthcare given out by the nanny state.

I really despair for when these whiny babies go into the real world and have to actually do things themselves - if they don't toughen up then they'll completely destroy the Western world as it is today.

Regarding the near future, however, I am more optimistic than ever, what with Brexit, Trump, and the European far-right surge. Lets hope we get some good, solid, hard-right governments in place before it's time for generation snowflake to come to the forefront.
Original post by Len Goodman
Young liberal millennials need to stop moaning and man up. You all have it easy - technology and the internet right at your doorstep, university a piece of p*ss to get into, more choices than ever before with regards to jobs and careers, free healthcare given out by the nanny state.

I really despair for when these whiny babies go into the real world and have to actually do things themselves - if they don't toughen up then they'll completely destroy the Western world as it is today.

Regarding the near future, however, I am more optimistic than ever, what with Brexit, Trump, and the European far-right surge. Lets hope we get some good, solid, hard-right governments in place before it's time for generation snowflake to come to the forefront.

Blimey, I thought I had right-wing views!!

Quick Reply