The Student Room Group

Oxford Entry - Lowest grades that still got in

Hi all,
I just wanted to know what the lowest grades that a student got in either GCSES or A-levels was, but, still got admission for the university. Also, if you know what was good about the person - maybe the interview or CV that made them get in. I am interested to know about all courses lowest academic grades that got in, but in particular admissions for medicine and science courses.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by GcSe KiD
Hi all,
I just wanted to know what the lowest grades that a student got in either GCSES or A-levels was, but, still got admission for the university. Also, if you know what was good about the person - maybe the interview or CV that made them get in. I am interested to know about all courses lowest academic grades that got in, but in particular admissions for medicine and science courses.

People have got in with little to no GCSEs after performing well on an access course.

Couldn't advise regarding a-level entry
Reply 2
Original post by KyleH123
People have got in with little to no GCSEs after performing well on an access course.

Couldn't advise regarding a-level entry

What's an access course? Is it an Admission test?
What's an access course? Is it an Admission test?

Anyone who is 19 or over and decides on going to uni, doesn't do a-levels generally

instead they do a course that consists of roughly half of AS and half of A2 which can be used to gain entry to most courses.
Hi all,

You won't get into Cambridge with bad grades( especially for medicine and sciences). There are probably some exceptions but these will be rare. Don't look for the minimum and aim to get the bare minimum.. Do your best and try to get exceptional grades and don't limit yourself.
It's not really possible to say what the all-time lowest grades somebody has got in with are because grades aren't really comparable over long periods.

These days a small number of people do get in with less than the lowest offer (AAA), and there used to be a table on the Oxford website (which I can't find) that told you how many in each year did so, but it's not many. As a percentage of the total intake, it's pretty negligible.

Tagging somebody who knows more about this.
Reply 6
Please someone give some stats?
I don't honestly think anyone has got into Oxbridge with less than AAB in the last few decades. In the last decade especially.
For medicine, here are the stats for 2015

More generally, you might want to root around here
Hi all,

I got into Oxford with AAB within the last decade because I wowed them at interview and with my written work (on paper I was rather dodgy). As has been alluded to, though, such things are an exception and are decided on a case-by-case basis. My admission wasn't for medicine or science courses either. If you're aiming for Oxbridge, you need the right predicted grades (if not ones that exceed them), strong admissions test scores, etc. and you really do need to meet the offer - there are no contextual offers at Oxford and afaik, none at Cambridge either: you will be expected to get the same grades as anyone else, regardless of situation or schooling :yes:
Reply 10
Original post by holtetaylor98
My friend's brother is a relatively famous guy who found success outside of academia in launching a digital company while he was still in high school, doing all his own programming. He quit school before finishing his GCSEs and only retrospectively did two A levels in maths and further maths. He was invited by Oxford to do computer science a year ago, which he took. I imagine he probably has the least qualifications of anyone on that course or indeed any Oxford course, but obviously he is a pretty certifiable genius.

What's his name and the name of the company, if you don't mind me asking. Also do you know if he applied to Oxford in any way, or showcase his skills there, or did they just research HIM and invite HIM?
I should say as well that this case is completely extraordinary and I've never heard of anything like it before. It's not exactly the easiest or most certain of routes to Oxford...

I just wanted to add something to this discussion, to avoid any misunderstandings. All candidates have to apply through UCAS, sit the MAT, and have interviews in the normal way -- no matter how famous they are. Also, non-standard offers have to be agreed by all colleges, and are given only in exceptional circumstances.

Gavin
This is just my opinion so don't take it like gospel but
I think for strict academic subjects like medicine and science (which are competitive) you'll probably need good grades. A girl in my school applied for medicine in Cambridge, got 3 As in AS - and was denied.
But humanity subjects, where you can add some personality into it - you've probably got more of a chance. Idk though
Reply 13
My friend's brother is a relatively famous guy who found success outside of academia in launching a digital company while he was still in high school, doing all his own programming. He quit school before finishing his GCSEs and only retrospectively did two A levels in maths and further maths. He was invited by Oxford to do computer science a year ago, which he took. I imagine he probably has the least qualifications of anyone on that course or indeed any Oxford course, but obviously he is a pretty certifiable genius.

Original post by gavinlowe
I just wanted to add something to this discussion, to avoid any misunderstandings. All candidates have to apply through UCAS, sit the MAT, and have interviews in the normal way -- no matter how famous they are. Also, non-standard offers have to be agreed by all colleges, and are given only in exceptional circumstances.

Gavin

@GcSe KiD

I am willing to bet this is in reference to Nick D’Aloisio who would certainly epitomise "exceptional"... :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I got into Oxford with AAB within the last decade because I wowed them at interview and with my written work (on paper I was rather dodgy). As has been alluded to, though, such things are an exception and are decided on a case-by-case basis. My admission wasn't for medicine or science courses either. If you're aiming for Oxbridge, you need the right predicted grades (if not ones that exceed them), strong admissions test scores, etc. and you really do need to meet the offer - there are no contextual offers at Oxford and afaik, none at Cambridge either: you will be expected to get the same grades as anyone else, regardless of situation or schooling :yes:

What did you apply for?:smile:
Original post by sunshine774
What did you apply for?:smile:

Music :musicus:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd

Wow that's good!x:smile:
Reply 17
it's Nick D'Aloisio
I want to apply but how.

Latest

Trending