The Student Room Group

French GCSE help needed

How can you improve your pronunciation in French, I was 1 out of 6 people in my 30 student class who needs to improve and I feel embarrassed. Also any tips on the listening part?
Reply 1
I've been told by my teachers that practicing past papers, listening to the french podcast, songs etc will help you improve your listening, but also the vocabulary within your unit/module. Speaking...I use pronounciation apps but I recommend you go to your teacher(s) and practice with them.
Reply 2
Original post by streetdude28
How can you improve your pronunciation in French, I was 1 out of 6 people in my 30 student class who needs to improve and I feel embarrassed. Also any tips on the listening part?

This is how I like to think of each language:

Spanish: Say it how it's spelled.
German: Over-pronounce every word.
French: Under-pronounce every word.

Before people get really angry at me, that's a very very very very basic idea that doesn't always work but in general it will help.

Remember that you only pronounce s, t, d, p, x, y at the end of a word if the following word begins with a vowel.
Original post by AshEntropy
This is how I like to think of each language:

Spanish: Say it how it's spelled.
German: Over-pronounce every word.
French: Under-pronounce every word.

Before people get really angry at me, that's a very very very very basic idea that doesn't always work but in general it will help.

Remember that you only pronounce s, t, d, p, x, y at the end of a word if the following word begins with a vowel.

Original post by Syndron
I've been told by my teachers that practicing past papers, listening to the french podcast, songs etc will help you improve your listening, but also the vocabulary within your unit/module. Speaking...I use pronounciation apps but I recommend you go to your teacher(s) and practice with them.

Thanks for all the advice guys, hopefully these tips will work!
Reply 4
Thanks for all the advice guys, hopefully these tips will work!

Do you do AQA French?
I did GCSE and AS french and I found reading out loud really useful. I also watched youtube videos in pronunciation - this is one of my favourite ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCw_lEb1qXk That channel has plenty of other fun french videos too :smile:
Original post by AshEntropy
Do you do AQA French?

Yeah, let me guess, you do/did too?
Reply 7
Yeah, let me guess, you do/did too?

Yeah I did GCSE AQA French in 2014. :smile:
Reply 8
For the pronunciation listen to french music and radio, and watch films in french! Basically any french audio you can find :smile: For the listening part, I'd say try some past papers and watch french films with subtitles so you can have reference to what is being said, I did this but with disney music because I basically know all the words in english :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest