The Student Room Group

Is R.E worth taking?

Our options are coming up and so we've found out our three top subjects - for me it's: Geography, History and R.E

I don't like R.E and I'd much rather take French, Geography, History and Business Studies.
Reply 1
Original post by streetdude28
Our options are coming up and so we've found out our three top subjects - for me it's: Geography, History and R.E

I don't like R.E and I'd much rather take French, Geography, History and Business Studies.

It's quite easy to do well on it but if you think you'd enjoy another subject more then take that. Remember you're going to have to study it for nearly 2 years.
RE is quite an easy pass as most of the questions are repetitive so I'd do RE
Original post by retro_turtles

^^ Definitely. There's only four areas they can ask you on within each topic, and only four topics. They're not particularly big ones, either.
Take what you enjoy. You are far more likely to perform well if you are engaged with the subject. The relative difficulty of all subjects is similar, so don't worry about that.
Original post by etudiebee
It's quite easy to do well on it but if you think you'd enjoy another subject more then take that. Remember you're going to have to study it for nearly 2 years.

Thanks and I guess you're right, I really wouldn't want to be studying R.E for two years!

Original post by AdoptDontShop
^^ Definitely. There's only four areas they can ask you on within each topic, and only four topics. They're not particularly big ones, either.

Do colleges and universities know it's easy though? Do they just glide past it?
RE is the best :biggrin:
Thanks and I guess you're right, I really wouldn't want to be studying R.E for two years!

At the end of the day it's still an A level. I took it as one of my options and got an unconditional from York (to do linguistics, not RE) so it must count for something
It's a bit like finding a nail in a haystack.

Probably but hey isn't an easy A more worth than what colleges and Unis think?
Probably but hey isn't an easy A more worth than what colleges and Unis think?

Well...not really.

Lol I revised RE 2 hours before the exam on he morning and I got an A*! It's easy!:smile: However, I'd say something like Business Studies is much more interesting and also quite easy. I also felt as if it was much more rewarding!:biggrin:
Original post by sunshine774
Lol I revised RE 2 hours before the exam on he morning and I got an A*! It's easy!:smile: However, I'd say something like Business Studies is much more interesting and also quite easy. I also felt as if it was much more rewarding!:biggrin:

Oh wow, well done. If it's such an 'easy A' I'm wondering if I'll be able to persuade my teacher into letting me take an extra GCSE (R.E).
Oh wow, well done. If it's such an 'easy A' I'm wondering if I'll be able to persuade my teacher into letting me take an extra GCSE (R.E).

Yep our school did exactly that! I did 11 GCSE's- my options were business studies, computing, food and nutrition and spanish; our school made us do RE as an extra GCSE!:smile: Tbh though another reason I did well in RE is because essay writing has always been one of my strengths- so for me the essay subjects at GCSE didn't require much revision!:smile:
Original post by sunshine774
Yep our school did exactly that! I did 11 GCSE's- my options were business studies, computing, food and nutrition and spanish; our school made us do RE as an extra GCSE!:smile: Tbh though another reason I did well in RE is because essay writing has always been one of my strengths- so for me the essay subjects at GCSE didn't require much revision!:smile:

That's good because essay writing is one if my main strengths!
That's good because essay writing is one if my main strengths!

That's good- then you should find the subject VERY easy and best of luck!x:biggrin:
If you don't like the subject and can avoid taking it without harming your future ambitions then absolutely drop it! Revision feels 100x harder when you don't have any passion for the subject. 2/3 of my A levels I did not enjoy at all and completing them was painful.

Quick Reply

Latest