The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1280
Original post by IcedArizona
Is food at Caius still really bad or has it improved? I've heard it has got quite a reputation but oh well :tongue:

As someone who went there for interview, it is worthy of the reputation 😂 For our starter we had some brown salad with dubious looking avocado, followed by what I believe was a pork chop (just a pork chop on a plate, although they served some chips and courgettes on side plates). Dessert was okay, a small apple tart thing,

Everything else about the college was really nice though and the old dining hall was lovely.
Original post by Student1256
No bs I'm 100% convinced that the food is actually bad. I thought maybe it's a psychological thing since one would hear bad things about caius food and it would affect their opinion but this girl I met who was applying to caius said the same thing about the food being bad and no one had told her about it either. Idk how repulsive the food must be that its unanimously said to be disgusting :laugh:

Oh well hopefully fished in the pool then! No just kidding though, would be perfectly fine with the food :biggrin:
Original post by alow
Quite stupid to say how much a meal costs to make if you have no idea how much things cost in England.

There's lots of things you can prep and cook in less than 20 minutes. There's no reason why you couldn't make time for cooking if you are decent at time management. I find cooking can be quite therapeutic after a long day.

I'd asked a friend who lives in Edinburgh and he said £1.6 is very cheap. I also noticed no meal costed less than £7 while I was in Cambridge, I know those are restaurants but I'd figured the disparity could not be that great. I didn't exactly say how much a meal costs either. But thank you I guess, now I know that Cambridge is cheaper than I thought it was.
Oh well hopefully fished in the pool then! No just kidding though, would be perfectly fine with the food :biggrin:

You are most welcome to eat with me (if I get in that is) Trinity Hall's food is quite good. The students there said it's top 3 definitely
You are most welcome to eat with me (if I get in that is) Trinity Hall's food is quite good. The students there said it's top 3 definitely

Nice I won't have to worry about self-catering xD
Original post by Rachel58
Cooking is one of the things that really excites me about university. Like...being able to choose portion size and WHAT I eat everyday (depending on my kitchen abilities)??? Brilliant. Not every having to go to the school canteen ever again. Food that's actually not made out of cardboard. Amazing.

Bear in mind that some colleges have pretty terrible cooking facilities, ovens are a rarity (only a few colleges have them) and some gyps are pretty much the size of a cupboard so it's a bit limiting.

That's very nice of you! Who knows I may end up there as well haha :tongue: we could have a nice little chat about quantum mechanics or relativity
Original post by trythis
CompSci, and hoping to talk my way into studying a couple of languages and Linguistics as outside courses. You?

We're in the exact same position! Edinburgh is my second choice after Cambridge for CompSci too! Hopefully I'll see you at one or the other depending on Thursday:tongue: what college did you apply to?
That's very nice of you! Who knows I may end up there as well haha :tongue: we could have a nice little chat about quantum mechanics or relativity

I hope it doesn't just degenerate from a little chat to a lecture by me 😂😂

Ooh, that's exciting!! I wish I'd tried some of their food while I was at the interview, cus I'm not gonna have another chance to try it :lol:
Original post by samb1234
Bear in mind that some colleges have pretty terrible cooking facilities, ovens are a rarity (only a few colleges have them) and some gyps are pretty much the size of a cupboard so it's a bit limiting.

Indeed. And may not have a freezer, or much room in a fridge for that matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1291

A bit of creativity is needed. It's surprising what you can cook just on the hob.
Reply 1292
Original post by liziepie
You're a natsci, right? Not sure if you've mentioned this before, but which college are you at again (if you don't mind me asking?)

Yes and Homerton.
Original post by alow
A bit of creativity is needed. It's surprising what you can cook just on the hob.

Are you allowed to bring slow cookers?
For the guy who said there was a strong turnout for NatSci at Caius, was that for Bio or Physical?
Reply 1295
Original post by jamestg
Are you allowed to bring slow cookers?

Technically no.
Original post by jneill
Indeed. And may not have a freezer, or much room in a fridge for that matter.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah fridge space can be an issue, especially with bulky things like milk if you're not sharing as like 8 4 pint cartons requires a lot of room. Again will vary a lot by college and who you are sharing with
Original post by alow
Technically no.

cracking.

If I manage to get into Emmanuel I'll need to buy this book
Original post by alow
Technically no.

Wait, what?

Slow cookers are probably the best, most stress free way to cook food, seems like a poor decision

What do you mean by "technically"?

Latest

Trending

Trending