The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

The simple and widely accepted truth:
Targets: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick
Semi-targets: Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Cass, Bath, KCL, St Andrews, Exeter, Edinburgh, Manchester
(edited 7 years ago)
1) Oxbridge, LSE, Warwick, Imperial, UCL

2) Nottingham, Bristol, Durham, Bath, Manchester, Cass, Birmingham, KCL

3) Others

/thread
Best degree for ib at these unis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Cluster1

Posted from TSR Mobile

It doesn't matter what degree you do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Harold98
It doesn't matter what degree you do.

You can get in with any (respectable degree, gender studies won't cut it), but it's best to have maths/economics/computer science/chem/physics/engineering etc, imo. Something that drives home numeracy
Original post by Harold98
The simple and widely accepted truth:
Targets: Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, Imperial and Warwick
Semi-targets: Durham, Bristol, Nottingham, Cass, Bath, KCL, St Andrews

you forgot Edinburgh and Exeter

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

no such thing

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
you forgot Edinburgh and Exeter

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah true
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
This table used date from global banks to show which univierities send the highest proportion of graduates into front office IB jobs. Obviously, this is on a global scale, as there are many American and foreign universities present. Interestingly, it seems like being situated near large financial centres seems to play a massive part in a successful application

http://news.efinancialcareers.com/uk-en/199099/top-50-universities-getting-front-office-investment-banking-job/

wouldn't say location matters in the application, it's more convenience and overall awareness of the career being higher in schools situated near financual hubs.

success of your application after the cv screen is entirely personal.
wouldn't say location matters in the application, it's more convenience and overall awareness of the career being higher in schools situated near financual hubs.

success of your application after the cv screen is entirely personal.

Doesn't the fact that a uni being near a financial hub count as location, as well as convenience too, given that many bank reps flood those target unis for advertisement during (public) lectures relating to banking - particularly London ones.
Doesn't the fact that a uni being near a financial hub count as location, as well as convenience too, given that many bank reps flood those target unis for advertisement during (public) lectures relating to banking - particularly London ones.

my disagreement​ was in helping with one's application. the target stuff doesn't matter once you have an interview invite.

Posted from TSR Mobile
my disagreement​ was in helping with one's application. the target stuff doesn't matter once you have an interview invite.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, I see

Depends on the uni as being in London will have a small advantage in networking opportunities. E.g. while KCL has worse rep than Bristol, being in London will give it advantages over networking and the amount of banks visiting the uni making it a slightly better choice vs Bristol in my opinion. Between targets location makes no difference as all banks visit target uni's, just being in London makes things easier for travel and networking opps (e.g. UCL > Warwick). In short location only matters when your at a semi-target.
Original post by thatapanydude
Depends on the uni as being in London will have a small advantage in networking opportunities. E.g. while KCL has worse rep than Bristol, being in London will give it advantages over networking and the amount of banks visiting the uni making it a slightly better choice vs Bristol in my opinion. Between targets location makes no difference as all banks visit target uni's, just being in London makes things easier for travel and networking opps (e.g. UCL > Warwick). In short location only matters when your at a semi-target.

Agree with this, location is key for networking and attending events. This is why London targets have such an advantage. Unfortunately, many candidates do not know how to take advantage of them.
I wondered if you guys might be able to give me a bit of advice.

Basically, I chose to do a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT at college, and I now realise they are not even accepted by the vast majority of even semi-target universities. Should I simply go to a "lesser valued" university (I have an offer from York), or would it be worth it to take some time out and achieve an A Level to enable me to attend the semi-targets?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AngryWalrus

Basically, I chose to do a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT at college, and I now realise they are not even accepted by the vast majority of even semi-target universities. Should I simply go to a "lesser valued" universities (I have an offer from York), or would it be worth it to take some time out and achieve an A Level to enable me to attend the semi-targets?

@Princepieman
Original post by AngryWalrus

Basically, I chose to do a BTEC Extended Diploma in IT at college, and I now realise they are not even accepted by the vast majority of even semi-target universities. Should I simply go to a "lesser valued" universities (I have an offer from York), or would it be worth it to take some time out and achieve an A Level to enable me to attend the semi-targets?

York is pretty solid as it is tbf, don't really see why you'd take a year out when you've gotten in there.

Unless of course you're 100% convinced you'll get an A* in Maths A-level..

also Notts is a semi-target and gladly takes on BTEC in IT applicants for the CS program.

Posted from TSR Mobile
York is pretty solid as it is tbf, don't really see why you'd take a year out when you've gotten in there.

Unless of course you're 100% convinced you'll get an A* in Maths A-level..

also Notts is a semi-target and gladly takes on BTEC in IT applicants for the CS program.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree that York is probably one of the better non-targets (as far as I know? I like the place as a whole, just thinking about employability). However, I would prefer to go to somewhere more popular with employers.

I'm not 100% convinced I'd get an A* in Maths at A-Level, however, not all of the semi-targets seem specifically require A* maths. I wouldn't mind continuing on with a computing course, but I'd prefer something finance/economics based as that's the industry I'd like to work in.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by thatapanydude

You cant say that UCL>Warwick when Warwick has been equal or even above in terms of numbers landing internships and jobs.

Yes, theoretically UCLs proximity to london makes it the better choice but then a Warwick student can still go to these events. There's no exclusive UCL events that are of significance either.

Im just focusing on your UCL vs Warwick comparison here, in general theres no point suggesting a london uni is better for opportunities because in a world of the internet and fast travel service this advantage is negligible.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending