The Student Room Group

Professor says he will publicly shame students for imperfect work

I'm taking an upper level (but introductory) cartography/GIS class this semester, and I am concerned about something my professor has written in his syllabus.

It says, and I quote: "Any map you turn in must be cartographically perfect. After a few weeks in this class, you should have learned how to make a great map. Poorly constructed maps will be displayed each week for the rest of the class to critique, with your name prominently mentioned. They will also be shown in future semesters as examples of 'bad' maps."

My family and I think that this is BEYOND inappropriate. I've had professors anonymously post examples of good and bad work. I have also had professors ask my permission to use my work as examples in future classes -- always with the promise of my name being removed. This is over the top though. I cannot believe that my university would allow a professor to publicly name and shame a student for imperfect work. What do you guys think? The more I think about it, the angrier I get. I want to report this to the department head, but at the same time, I'm worried about pissing this guy off.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by emmyloo22
I'm taking an upper level (but introductory) cartography/GIS class this semester, and I am concerned about something my professor has written in his syllabus.

It says, and I quote: "Any map you turn in must be cartographically perfect. After a few weeks in this class, you should have learned how to make a great map. Poorly constructed maps will be displayed each week for the rest of the class to critique, with your name prominently mentioned. They will also be shown in future semesters as examples of 'bad' maps."

My family and I think that this is BEYOND inappropriate. I've had professors anonymously post examples of good and bad work. I have also had professors ask my permission to use my work as examples in future classes -- always with the promise of my name being removed. This is over the top though. I cannot believe that my university would allow a professor to publicly name and shame a student for imperfect work. What do you guys think? The more I think about it, the angrier I get. I want to report this to the department head, but at the same time, I'm worried about pissing this guy off.

I'd agree that it's inappropriate. Although I'm not sure that I'd have personally complained about it, I do think you're totally justified in mentioning this to the department head. The reason why the professor is doing this is probably to put pressure on people who might otherwise be too lazy to do their work properly, but I don't think he's considered the fact that it could be really upsetting and stressful for some people. I don't think he's necessarily doing it to be horrible, I just think he's being thoughtless which is why a gentle word from someone like the department head might help.
Reply 2
Then try not to be that guy with the worst map.
If this is not some poor taste joke it needs reporting to someone higher up the chain of command.

Fear and shaming have absolutely no place in a learning environment.
There's nothing wrong with it at all, just another reason to work hard and put as much effort in as you can.
Reply 5
Which university?

Name and, er, shame...

(Edit to update: the OP is talking about a course in America. We can relax...)

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
This is probably just to motivate people to actually put effort in and make the best map they can, and he isn't serious about it.

Either that or he's a first class cock
Reply 7
So what if you get it wrong? You are at uni to learn, if you knew everything u wouldnt need to go now cmon.
Which Uni, so we know you are real. I think its hilarious and I would make sure I learned how to create a good map. Have you seen the xamples of poor maps and is it obvious why they are poor? If he is out of libe then look at the Uni (mystery uni) rules on teaching standards and ethics, then make a complaint. Do it through your student union or student rep or anonymously if you are scared of doing it in person.
It's funny and is obviously that "after a few weeks in this class you will have learnt how to make a great map". TSRians (perhaps TSR-souls) are rather lost without smilies and triple exclamation points.

If he were serious this would have been "by the end of this course students will have acquired an understanding of the basic principles of modern cartography and practical familiarity with computer aided techniques", because that is how you write specs.

And had this been said to the class at the beginning of the first lecture, you might have cause for concern. That he is publishing it in the course syllabus means he is unconcerned at his HoD's seeing it, because it's only a bit of fun.
Reply 10
If this is a UK university, then you should go directly to the Student Union. With this written into the course specifics, you yave more than enough proof for them to take it further up the chain.

However, this does sound pretty much a standard way of operating for unis in some countries outside the UK. The Far East especially can be brutal in terms of leveraging peer group pressure to pull student performance up.
Reply 11
Original post by Klix88
If this is a UK university, then you should go directly to the Student Union. With this written into the course specifics, you yave more than enough proof for them to take it further up the chain.

However, this does sound pretty much a standard way of operating for unis in some countries outside the UK. The Far East especially can be brutal in terms of leveraging peer group pressure to pull student performance up.

Yup, I get the feeling it isn't a UK uni: "professor", "class", "semester".
Original post by jneill
Yup, I get the feeling it isn't a UK uni: "professor", "class", "semester".

???
I'm confused. I'm at uni in the UK (and I, myself, am from the UK) and I use all of these words regularly.
Reply 13
Original post by GoingToBurst
???
I'm confused. I'm at uni in the UK (and I, myself, am from the UK) and I use all of these words regularly.

Interesting. It's usually lecturer, lecture/tutorial, and term. (But yes not always.)
Hell no. I would not like that. If you had a problem you should've fussed by rabble rousing peers right when you read it, and intimidate him into changing it to anonymous critiquing. (Or go to his office if you're a different kind of person).

But I imagine it'll be easier to do a "perfect" map however I sense he's setting you guys up for failing no matter what because you don't know what his standards are, he could be one of those types who critiques you for not making the line straight or stupidness, and starts bullying/sabotaging basically. I don't like the smell of this at all, who does he think he is seriously.

Maybe schedule for a different lecture though avoiding the issue doesn't fix it.

Original post by jneill
Which university?

Name and, er, shame...

Posted from TSR Mobile

That would be hypocritical though entertaining and informative. Dilemmas...
Original post by jneill
Interesting. It's usually lecturer, lecture/tutorial, and term. (But yes not always.)

If my lecturer's title is professor, I will call them professor because it's kind of rude not to. Otherwise, just lecturer.

If I'm talking about a module as a whole, I'll say 'class' ("our finance class this semester is really tough"), but if I'm talking about an individual lecture/tutorial/lab then I'll say lecture/tutorial/lab ("the lecture this morning was kind of boring").

I rarely hear 'term' used in a university setting though.

I always find language differences like this pretty interesting, I hear a lot of them between here and the US or here and Canada, but it's particularly interesting when it's UK-wide for some reason.
Reply 16
Original post by GoingToBurst
If my lecturer's title is professor, I will call them professor because it's kind of rude not to. Otherwise, just lecturer.

If I'm talking about a module as a whole, I'll say 'class' ("our finance class this semester is really tough":wink:, but if I'm talking about an individual lecture/tutorial/lab then I'll say lecture/tutorial/lab ("the lecture this morning was kind of boring":wink:.

I rarely hear 'term' used in a university setting though.

I always find language differences like this pretty interesting, I hear a lot of them between here and the US or here and Canada, but it's particularly interesting when it's UK-wide for some reason.

Fair comment. We'll just have to wait for the OP to return (she hasn't been back since posting yesterday :frown: ) and confirm one way or the other :smile:
Original post by jneill
Fair comment. We'll just have to wait for the OP to return (she hasn't been back since posting yesterday :frown: ) and confirm one way or the other :smile:

Yeah! Either way, it's a ridiculous thing for the professor to say lol!
Reply 18
What a sad individual your teacher must be. Maybe he's having a hard time at home and is looking to take it out on his students. There are many reasons why a student's work might be below par and publicly naming and shaming isn't a strategy that usually works.
Perhaps some constructive feedback from your teacher might result in an improvement in standards, but that takes time, effort and some social interaction skills - qualities I suspect he doesn't possess
Original post by emmyloo22

You are right to be angry, I would be myself if one of my teachers at school did that. It is mildly inappropriate and I agree, you should talk to the department head saying that this isn't right.

Latest

Trending

Trending