The Student Room Group

GCSE options help

Hi,

I'm going to choose my options at the end of this month (January 2017) and am set on wanting to study law in university and eventually go on to be a lawyer or barrister. Please could someone well advised on law and the options I need to choose, give me a bit of help in knowing what to choose?
Reply 1
Original post by Jennyyyy18
Hi,

I'm going to choose my options at the end of this month (January 2017) and am set on wanting to study law in university and eventually go on to be a lawyer or barrister. Please could someone well advised on law and the options I need to choose, give me a bit of help in knowing what to choose?

I would recommend:

English Language
English Literature
History
Geography
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Religious Studies
French OR Spanish OR German
Mathematics
Original post by Jennyyyy18
Hi,

Hi,
With law there aren't really any GCSEs that are completely necessary other than the obvious ones (maths, english). For example, Oxford only wants a Grade C (or 5) in GCSE Maths as their GCSE requirements (they will also want around about 6 As or above, but many universities won't want that).
A good grade in GCSE maths, english and science will be really helpful for your application but other than that you are free to take what you like (well, I would advise at least some "academic" subjects as part of your options).
Many Law students will have taken history at GCSE as this helps to prepare you for the essays etc. and something like economics would probably be looked upon favourably. Many law courses seem to have an option to spend a year in Europe, so a language would be a very good idea also.
Other than that, choose the subjects you enjoy and think you can get a high grade in. An A in a less academic subject is better than a D in an academic subject (I know your results will be in numbers, but hopefully you get the idea).
If you know your option columns and post them then I can help you choose if you like, but schools offer so many different subjects it's difficult to know what to suggest if you don't know what the school is offering.
Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by AshEntropy
I would recommend:

English Language
English Literature
History
Geography
Biology
Chemistry
Physics
Religious Studies
French OR Spanish OR German
Mathematics

Thanks so much for help, however I don't think the way my options are set out will allow me to take all those subjects. I'm currently looking at taking: English (Literature and Language), Triple Science, Maths (and then Further Maths, that I will do in year 11 after my basic Maths GCSE in year 10), Double Languages (French and Spanish, and I am also learning Latin and Italian in my free time) and History.
Reply 4
Original post by Lemur14
Hi,
With law there aren't really any GCSEs that are completely necessary other than the obvious ones (maths, english). For example, Oxford only wants a Grade C (or 5) in GCSE Maths as their GCSE requirements (they will also want around about 6 As or above, but many universities won't want that).
A good grade in GCSE maths, english and science will be really helpful for your application but other than that you are free to take what you like (well, I would advise at least some "academic" subjects as part of your options).
Many Law students will have taken history at GCSE as this helps to prepare you for the essays etc. and something like economics would probably be looked upon favourably. Many law courses seem to have an option to spend a year in Europe, so a language would be a very good idea also.
Other than that, choose the subjects you enjoy and think you can get a high grade in. An A in a less academic subject is better than a D in an academic subject (I know your results will be in numbers, but hopefully you get the idea).
If you know your option columns and post them then I can help you choose if you like, but schools offer so many different subjects it's difficult to know what to suggest if you don't know what the school is offering.
Hope this helps :smile:

Thank you so so much you've definitely clarified a few things for me!! I don't think I mentioned it, but I am a very academic student and therefore excel especially in these
'academic' subjects. Currently, I have been told that I could achieve 8/9 in all my subjects. Especially in core subjects and languages, I can achieve 9s and with work I will be able to achieve 8/9 in history. I'll attach a picture of the options sheet from last year as this year's has not yet been released. I am currently looking at taking: Triple science, Double languages (Spanish and French, as well as learning Italian and Latin in my own time), English (Literature and Language), Maths (and Further Maths also
as I am taking my maths GCSE in year 10) and History. IMG_9820.PNG Thank you so much again.
All I can suggest is making sure when it comes to your GCSEs is to get at least 5Bs to do A-levels try and aim for Bs in English, there arent really any specific requirements at GCSE especially for Law.

-Get 5Bs (so maybe pick some easy options)
-Pass English Lit and Lang and Maths
-Get Bs or above in English (not necessity just would look better)

Quick Reply

Latest