The Student Room Group

Not Telling SFE If Working Abroad on a Permanent Contract

So let me me start by saying this is completely hypothetical...

So the general rule of SF is that if you want student finance and have been living abroad on a permanent contract, you're not entitled to finance. So what if someone wanted to receive funding for their masters but worked a contract that didn't specify and end date in a foreign country. This job is just a cafe job but is there anyway that SF couldn't find out about this?
Reply 1
Original post by bobbieare
So let me me start by saying this is completely hypothetical...

So the general rule of SF is that if you want student finance and have been living abroad on a permanent contract, you're not entitled to finance. So what if someone wanted to receive funding for their masters but worked a contract that didn't specify and end date in a foreign country. This job is just a cafe job but is there anyway that SF couldn't find out about this?

The job isn't really the issue - it's whether you have maintained the UK as your "ordinary residence" whilst you've been abroad. Plenty of people work during gap years between school and uni - it doesn't affect their SF entitlement, as they're working on temporary or tourist visas and can thus prove that they were only living out of the UK temporarily.

You would have to provide SF with proof such as UK Council Tax/utility bills in your name, tax records, a bank account, letters from a dentist/GP with whom you've been registered etc. If you have not maintained the UK as a permanent base whilst you've been living abroad, then you will not qualify for SF - other than from a Tuition Fee Loan if you've been in the EU/EEA.
Original post by Klix88
The job isn't really the issue - it's whether you have maintained the UK as your "ordinary residence" whilst you've been abroad. Plenty of people work during gap years between school and uni - it doesn't affect their SF entitlement, as they're working on temporary or tourist visas and can thus prove that they were only living out of the UK temporarily.

You would have to provide SF with proof such as UK Council Tax/utility bills in your name, tax records, a bank account, letters from a dentist/GP with whom you've been registered etc. If you have not maintained the UK as a permanent base whilst you've been living abroad, then you will not qualify for SF - other than from a Tuition Fee Loan if you've been in the EU/EEA.

But what I'm asking is is there a way to keep it from SFE. Say I have a contract with a job in Spain but I left the job but still have the contract with me and decide to take up a bar job for the remaining time of the contract. Does SFE need to know?
Reply 3
But what I'm asking is is there a way to keep it from SFE. Say I have a contract with a job in Spain but I left the job but still have the contract with me and decide to take up a bar job for the remaining time of the contract. Does SFE need to know?

The details of your work abroad is irrelevant to SF. Your UK residential status whilst you've been working abroad, is all that matters.
Original post by Klix88
The details of your work abroad is irrelevant to SF. Your UK residential status whilst you've been working abroad, is all that matters.

Okay but how will they know i've necessarily worked abroad if I didn't say anything? Couldn't I just lie and say I moved back with my parents?
Reply 5
Okay but how will they know i've necessarily worked abroad if I didn't say anything? Couldn't I just lie and say I moved back with my parents?

They are not interested in whether you have been working abroad. They are only interested in whether you can prove that you were abroad temporarily and were always based in the UK and intended to come back. If you can prove that you always planned to move back to your parents' home, then your time abroad would not affect your entitlement to SF.

Any "lie" would have to be backed up with proof and so would be found out very quickly. SF would not just accept your word about what happened.

Did you move abroad completely and sever all links to the UK? If so, then this affects your SF entitlement.

Did you move abroad to work for a while, but intending to return to the UK? Can you prove this by producing documents to back this up? If so, then your SF entitlement is not affected.
Original post by Klix88
They are not interested in whether you have been working abroad. They are only interested in whether you can prove that you were abroad temporarily and were always based in the UK and intended to come back. If you can prove that you always planned to move back to your parents' home, then your time abroad would not affect your entitlement to SF.

Any "lie" would have to be backed up with proof and so would be found out very quickly. SF would not just accept your word about what happened.

Did you move abroad completely and sever all links to the UK? If so, then this affects your SF entitlement.

Did you move abroad to work for a while, but intending to return to the UK? Can you prove this by producing documents to back this up? If so, then your SF entitlement is not affected.

Yes so I've got a contract that states when my work will finish. But and please pay attention to this question, what if I quit that job earlier but still had the contract that states the original date i was supposed to leave. COuld i take another cafe job up until the end of that contract date without SFE finding out?
Reply 7
I'm clearly not making myself understood. Hopefully someone else can help.
Yes so I've got a contract that states when my work will finish. But and please pay attention to this question, what if I quit that job earlier but still had the contract that states the original date i was supposed to leave. COuld i take another cafe job up until the end of that contract date without SFE finding out?

Sounds like your trying to commit fraud?
Hypothetical situation!!!
Original post by murpo
Sounds like your trying to commit fraud?

Hypothetical situation!!
Original post by Klix88
I'm clearly not making myself understood. Hopefully someone else can help.

LOL, still cant believe OP cant Grasp what your saying
if youve been working outof the country for sometime. you wont have any record with the tax man/ social security. they check with them. you will need to explain the gap in your income/work. dont assume they dont communicate out with the uk they do. withholding that info is fraud.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending