The Student Room Group

I'm only post GCSE level, I could really do with advice on where to go from here.

deleted
(edited 4 years ago)
If you have asperger's, can't you tell the unis you want to apply to that for a lower offer? It's considered a disability that puts you at a disadvantage. Also, you're facing surgery as well. For example, I have a physical disability and got a lower offer as a result as I can't perform as well under exam conditions as my peers. Perhaps email them with your current qualifications and your medical condition and say would you be happy making an offer based on your current grades?

And you have 4/5 GCSEs at B/Cs which is better that quite a lot of people I know at reputable unis!
(edited 7 years ago)
deleted
(edited 4 years ago)
It is your right to put down your disability on a UCAS form, don't worry about it. I had to put down multiple disabilities. I didn't want to but I am at a disadvantage in comparison to my peers as my results aren't as good despite hard work due to my mental health. It's nothing to be ashamed about. :smile:

My cousins have to do that too with their Asperger's.

Also, university have whole departments to help those with learning/mental disabilities. I know this first hand! So try emailing different unis and ask what they need from you: if they want more qualifications/ proof of skills/ etc. Maybe ask about what support will be in place for a student like yourself. I chose my university based on how much extra help was in place, and by how supportive they were. I am constantly contacted to make sure I am okay, and to see if I need anymore help. Also. try applying for a DSA (disabled student allowance). With this, you get equipment and extra help if you need it due to disability. Perhaps they can help with some of your difficulties.

I did incredibly poorly with my A-Levels and my university was worried I may continue to at degree level. Last month I got a first on an essay - A-Levels and BTECs are completely different to uni work so don't mark yourself down based on previous work/ experience until you actually get to uni!

Good luck! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
deleted
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending