The Student Room Group

Meryl Streep criticizes Trump during acceptance speech

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thatswrong.
I am a human behavioural psychologist and after thorough analysis of Trump I have concluded that there is no doubt that this was mocking.
Most psychologists I have come across have been self-opinionated jackasses. You have done nothing to dissuade me from this viewpoint.
She's jus the another bitter leftist who is also trying to show how altruistic she is.
Original post by nutz99
Most psychologists I have come across have been self-opinionated jackasses. You have done nothing to dissuade me from this viewpoint.

I was actually joking about being a psychologist, read the context as to why I said that you blithering cockgobbling idiot.
I think she was more worried about appearing to be liberal and right on than anything else. It wasn't the right platform and she came across as holier than thou and superior. She's probably one of the most overrated people in the entertainment industry - up there with Beyonce certainly.
Original post by Trinculo
It's anti-Americanism. There is no shortage of sanctimonious people all around the world who think they have a stake in the US elections. The number of people not registered to vote in the United States, who claimed to be "supporting" Bernie (then Hillary, then for some reason Joe Biden then Michelle Obama) was incredible.

Well, everyone in the world does kind of have a stake in US elections. It affects a lot of things.
Because if there's one lesson to be learned from 2016, it's that we need to hear more opinions from trendy celebrities.
Original post by nulli tertius
I always feel it is a bit presumptuous for a foreigner like Laurie to make a snipe like this. If he doesn't like what the American President is doing it is always open to him to move back home.

He seems to be selectively aware of this himself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyODq3v64wg&t=1m36s
I'm a bit worried about how vain, thin skinned and un-selfaware Trump seems...

He's chosen to enter politics and it's therefore guaranteed that whatever he does some people are going to be criticising him.

This is the sort of reaction you expect from yer proper american right wing populist...

Arnies 'eggs and bacon' 1:30

FWIW love or loath him, I think most would now agree that arnie got his head down in office & wasn't a complete disaster for California.

I'm not especially worried that the US will soon have a right wing populist president - I'm worried that they've got a defective copy of a right wing populist who actually will be dicking about on twitter instead of taking care of business for the US... countries hostile to the US will be watching this with delight and planning how to test him when he's inaugurated.
Original post by Danny Dorito
Meryl Streep used her platform during Sunday night's Golden Globes to voice her concerns and grievance with President-Elect Trump and his recent "performance" during the presidential campaign.

During her passionate and emotional speech she highlighted that Trump's attitude and recent actions has given others "permission" to act in a similar way. Trump responded via twitter calling Streep a a Hillary lover.

You can read more on the story here.

Do you think Meryl has a point? Do you think she should have left her political views at home? Or do you think it was the perfect platform?

Freedom of expression applies to actors as well. She delivered her point well, and in a classy manner (unlike Trump), so I have an increased respect for her. Trump was a reality TV star who decided to go into politics, so it would be ridiculous to suggest that the nature of her profession means that she should keep her views at home.

Trump is also lying now and claiming that he did not mock the disabled reporter, when it's on video for everyone to see. If you're going to do something deemed outrageous, at least own it.
It's anti-Americanism. There is no shortage of sanctimonious people all around the world who think they have a stake in the US elections. The number of people not registered to vote in the United States, who claimed to be "supporting" Bernie (then Hillary, then for some reason Joe Biden then Michelle Obama) was incredible.

The US encourages this kind of 'outside participation' through its own attitudes, for example, its arrogant assumption that its laws apply everywhere, not to mention that the President reserves the right to kill foreigners at will and without due process.

The reality is that we should all have a say in the US elections. Putin is just a trail-blazer. :teehee:
Three people know the answer to this. One is dead, another is mad and I've forgotten.

Lol, I'm hoping my question was easier than the Schleswig-Holstein one.
Reply 111
There's a school of thought that all this Hollywood opposition contributed to Trump's success. People just see super rich and famous actors and singers laying into Trump for things which are largely irrelevant to them.

There was an example of this during the election. To try and appeal to the black vote, Trump just goes "you've had 8 years of Obama, yet you've got crap lives, no jobs, crap schools - why would you think Hillary is going to change that?" In response, Hillary goes and gets Jay-Z. His polling with black people went up. Not a lot, but it did go up. And think about what he's said - they just had a black president and their lives suck. The person they're all expected to vote for wheels out a guy even richer than her, and that's supposed to be a show of empathy.

For large numbers of people who voted for Trump, Meryl Streep laying into him is just typical sour grapes. After Obama won, did a bunch of Republican supporting celebs constantly dig at him before he'd even taken office?

Yeah, all these out-of-touch, rich celebs living in their showbiz bubble coming out for Clinton attacking Trump for being sexist, racist, bigoted, a white supremacist etc, failed to recognise that many voters simply didn't care that he said a few offensive things, many wanted change from an establishment that didn't appear to care about them or their communities and being told by these rich celebs that you're a racist and a bigot if you vote for Trump certainly didn't help.

Whether Trump can actually make a difference like he said he would remains to be seen, but ultimately, if he does, somehow I don't think the average American is going to give a **** if he said a few sexist or racist things 10 years ago, and I'm interested to see what the US mainstream media who colluded with the Clinton campaign throughout the election (as shown in Wikileaks) will do if Trump is actually a success, will they eventually take a more objective and neutral stance now that their backed candidate will become irrelevant?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Fullofsurprises
Lol, I'm hoping my question was easier than the Schleswig-Holstein one.

I was rather hoping that Trump would invite Vladimir, Kim, Bibi and whoever is running isis this week for a round of golf and to agree a new covenant for the UN:

We hold these truths to be self-evident; that Meryl Streep's attempts at foreign accents are a crime against humanity.
I was rather hoping that Trump would invite Vladimir, Kim, Bibi and whoever is running isis this week for a round of golf and to agree a new covenant for the UN:

ISIS is run from an office in Hereford.
https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017/jan/10/hereford-inside-england-unlikely-military-city-centre-global-conflict

We hold these truths to be self-evident; that Meryl Streep's attempts at foreign accents are a crime against humanity.

Apparently she does a marvellous imitation of Trump.

A local doctor remembers doing shifts in A&E in London. If anyone turned up in casualty with an eye injury they would call the current President of Syria to look at the patient.
Original post by Rakas21
With regards to the comments themselves the time for her to say these things was 3 months ago, she just looks like a bad loser now (like the Snats, Remoaners ect..).

With regards to her celebrity influencing politics i think to Trump supporters she probably does more harm than good. Many people are frankly sick of well off people telling them how they should think and what they should do and one suspects that she has made few speeches about the white folk who are struggling.

I'm fairly sure Trump, Gove, Johnson and Farage fit that description.
Aren't all these celebrities supposed to be in Canada by now?
Original post by Wōden
Aren't all these celebrities supposed to be in Canada by now?

The Canadian screen awards aren't until March 12. :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending