The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by honour
BMI is supposed to have a wide range, otherwise you'll be classed from normal to overweight after gaining a few kg xD

You say it's not accurate? In what way? So how exactly do you determine who's fat and who's not?

Because it doesn't take muscle into account. Many bodybuilders are classed as obese, ie Dwayne Johnson.

The best way to determine if someone is fat is bodyfat percent.
Original post by Sena5
My mother used to speak about a girl and asked to show her fb pictures.
I showed my mother and my mother said, "You are better than her as she is very fat."

I felt that this is too much and beyond the limit! I undergo too many stresses in my life.

My mother asks me to watch my one and half year old nephew plus look after the cleaning of the house.
This is too much because I go to classes on Sundays.
In addition, I go to the school internship here where i live early morning as the school starts at half past seven and from their I take a tuk and go to the office where I actually work. My life is very busy and tight. The actual job where i work ends at 10pm in the night. I feel tired after work.

I am doing all this for the sake my boyfriend's mother requires me to have this if i need to become her daughter in law.

I shouted at my mother for calling me fat and she was like i am the fat out of those in our family. I feel really bad! [angry]

Tamil mothers are always like that, they are very demanding and strict but they make the best amma's in the world. Don't take it too seriously. but your mother in law seems very demanding are you sure you will happy in a familly like this?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Pikachū
Because it doesn't take muscle into account. Many bodybuilders are classed as obese, ie Dwayne Johnson.

The best way to determine if someone is fat is bodyfat percent.

I see your point - but surely if someone's 5'6 and a few kg over 60 they're not necessarily fat? That was a bit extreme lol
Reply 63
Original post by LeTamoul
Tamil mothers are always like that, they are very demanding and strict but they make the best amma's in the world. Don't take it too seriously. but your mother in law seems very demanding are you sure you will happy in a familly like this?

good question..i love my mother but got angry when she told that...i asked sorry yesterday as well
I'm not quite sure if i will be happy if i stay with the mother-in-law..but i will manage and see if my bf wants to say there..if i feel uncomfortable i will ask both my bf and i to move to a separate house to live in..we need to buy a house . therefore, till then i have to manage :smile: i'm speaking all my future dreams :biggrin:
Reply 64
Original post by ForgetMe
It seems like you're a rude person too :erm: if she calls you fat, why don't you call her fat too? or something else?

if i say her rude that is mean by me..she is an elderly person so respect is needed..otherwise later people wont respect us.
I think you're over thinking what your mother said. To me she called your friend fat and wasnt even close to implying you are.

Do you think you're fat?
Reply 66
Original post by Mimi9335
Heyy
I just wanted to say you`re doing really well so far. You`ve gotten yourself in a position to get a degree and you should be so proud of yourself! Sometimes some parents can get a bit upset over some things and don`t know how to express themselves correctly so they started taking anger out on others.

I also got called fat by my mum`s friend and I am literally nowhere near fat and it triggered a bunch of awful feelings, so I can only imagine how you feel if this is YOUR MUM and saying this CONTINUOUSLY. Seriously, the best advice I can give you is to stay strong because that`s the only thing you can do in the meantime. Maybe tell her how it makes you feel and if she doesn`t respond then perhaps minimise talk about weight with her. You need to focus on your degree. And I`m sure your weight isn`t bad at all, why would it interfere in you getting work done??

thank you so much friend! u make me feel better 1000 times. i never talk about weigh..she brings the weight topic from nowhere and i get pissed of as i feel she does not understand what i am going through and that education should be the top priority..she keeps talking about marriage which i dont want..i told her i have a bf and she says she wont let me with him..that is all making me lock myself in the bedroom where i do the assignments on my laptop, listen to music on my earphone and then sleep..i explained my mother but she never accepts what i have to say
Reply 67
Original post by SpicyItalian
I think you're over thinking what your mother said. To me she called your friend fat and wasnt even close to implying you are.

Do you think you're fat?

whatever it is i am going to the slimming center to get not only my mother but everyone not talk about it anymore..
If your bf likes your body the way it is and you are reasonably healthy then just respectfully tell your mother to shut her fat mouth and let you get on with your busy life.
Reply 69
Original post by FranktheYank
If your bf likes your body the way it is and you are reasonably healthy then just respectfully tell your mother to shut her fat mouth and let you get on with your busy life.

lol
My mum once called me fat and it did me the world of good.
Reply 71
Original post by l'etranger
My mum once called me fat and it did me the world of good.

my mother calls me fat not once but many times indirectly comparing with others.
Original post by Sena5
my mother calls me fat not once but many times indirectly comparing with others.

I think mine would have done the same if I hadn't done anything about it.
Original post by Sena5
if i say her rude that is mean by me..she is an elderly person so respect is needed..otherwise later people wont respect us.

Respect should go both ways, just because someone is older than you does not entitle them to feel like they can be rude to you.
Reply 74
Original post by Sena5
Are you offending me as well?

I think you are the only one who thinks you are fat and you just think that everybody else is saying it to you.
Reply 75
Original post by elekro
I think you are the only one who thinks you are fat and you just think that everybody else is saying it to you.

hmm...my brain
i think i have to scold my brain
Reply 76
Original post by ForgetMe
Respect should go both ways, just because someone is older than you does not entitle them to feel like they can be rude to you.

i agree to this point.
Reply 77
Original post by l'etranger
I think mine would have done the same if I hadn't done anything about it.

your better then..good job
She implied you weren't fat. lol

It was a compliment and you managed to get offended by it. good job.
Original post by Sena5
My mother used to speak about a girl and asked to show her fb pictures.
I showed my mother and my mother said, "You are better than her as she is very fat."

I felt that this is too much and beyond the limit! I undergo too many stresses in my life.

My mother asks me to watch my one and half year old nephew plus look after the cleaning of the house.
This is too much because I go to classes on Sundays.
In addition, I go to the school internship here where i live early morning as the school starts at half past seven and from their I take a tuk and go to the office where I actually work. My life is very busy and tight. The actual job where i work ends at 10pm in the night. I feel tired after work.

I am doing all this for the sake my boyfriend's mother requires me to have this if i need to become her daughter in law.

I shouted at my mother for calling me fat and she was like i am the fat out of those in our family. I feel really bad! [angry]

don't be fat. problem solved.

Latest

Trending

Trending