The Student Room Group

Swiss win EU case - Muslim girls must swim with boys

Scroll to see replies

Original post by usualsuspects
THere is, they don't want little boys to see their daughters skin, yet it's acceptable for girls to see them and for them to see boys. Expecting segregation on these basis is not proper of civilised contemporary people.

This isn't barbaric though. It's just something very conservative. Similar practises existed in this country before the sex revolution during the 1960s.
1) Person A does not want their male child to do compulsory swimming lessons with females in case they see their skin/come into physical contact with them, which is based on their religious/ideological beliefs.

2) Person B does not want their white child to do compulsory P.E. with black children in case they come into physical contact with them, which is based on their religious/ideological beliefs.

What is the genuine difference which justifies one as being valid and the other not?
Original post by astutehirstute
If these Muslims want to practise their religion (if not having mixed swimming pools IS practising it by the way) could you please tell me why they can't just leave Switzerland and go and live in a Muslim majority country? Perhaps even the war torn third world hellhole they probably fled from in the first place?

Why does that country have to adapt, dilute its "liberty", to suit them? They want to come and live in Switzerland? Fine. That is the deal. If you don't like it, leave, or don't come in the first place.

Bravo Switzerland. :smile:

What if they didn't migrate to switzerland and were born there? My ethnically british muslim revert friends wouldn't send their kids to a mixed swimming pool, should they also go back to where they came from?

Original post by Ladbants
The thing I don't understand is:
Gender segregated swimming is not going to harm anyone
Mixed swimming is going to hurt Muslims and some other religious groups

So why not choose the option that satisfies everyone??

Because this case involves muslims, and muslims aren't very liked at the moment:colonhash:

Original post by thatswrong.
Muslims are just not integrating, I honestly dont know why theyre making such a big issue and becoming an inconvenience to society. Yes, theyre entitled to freedom of religion but this doesnt constitute to freedom of religion.

yes I'm such a big inconvenience to this society, thats why I'm gonna be treating people like you working in the f***ing NHS
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tammie123
yes I'm such a big inconvenience to this society, thats why I'm gonna be treating people like you working in the f***ing NHS

Im referring to the muslims in the OP that should have been clear. Disrupting swimming lessons and wasting time in a human rights court is a massive inconvenience to society.
Original post by cbreef
And our "rules" support freedom of religion. It could be argued that this infringes on that principle.

Freedom of religion doesnt mean you can sabotage governments/local actions because a book written centuries ago tells you so.
Original post by thatswrong.
Im referring to the muslims in the OP that should have been clear. Disrupting swimming lessons and wasting time in a human rights court is a massive inconvenience to society.

it didn't have to come to that, just let the kids sit on the side while the other kids swim. When girls in my primary school were on their period they'd be made to just sit on the side while everyone was swimming and it didn't cause an inconvenience for anyone

Original post by Robby2312
Because gender segregated swimming harm's Muslims.It deprives Muslim children of the opportunity to interact with the opposite sex.Just because their parents believe something backwards does not mean they should have the right to inflict it upon their children.Especially when said beliefs are based upon imaginary concepts.

yh it's so sad right, not allowing people to mingle with the opposite gender is equal to taking their life. It's legit so sad init
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Mr Moon Man
Muslims are turning this into a us and them by refusing to assimilate

how exactly am I refusing to assimilate? tell me since you seem to ****ing know so much about me
how exactly am I refusing to assimilate? tell me since you seem to ****ing know so much about me

It obviously doesn't apply to every single Muslim ever, don't act like there isn't a problem with Muslims when there quite clearly is.
Original post by Mr Moon Man
It obviously doesn't apply to every single Muslim ever, don't act like there isn't a problem with Muslims when there quite clearly is.

there isn't a problem, I know loads of muslims who are doctors in training, pharmacist in training, nurses or planning to work for the british military. We go to university, and work to serve society either through businesses and etc. In what way are we not assimilating. Is it because muslims tend to be friends with each other? (I guess this is also what I noticed and I think its wrong but you see this with other groups too, in my uni the whites tend to stick together and dont talk to us coloured people, the indians also stick together and so do orientals). So stop being so ridiculous, I'm getting so fed up of all of this and I'm already having a really bad day
Original post by cbreef
Really not sure how I feel about this as it is probably an infringement on religious freedom. They shouldn't be forced to swim with boys, but they certainly shouldn't be allocated their own separate pool either.

Nobody is being forced to do anything. If people don't want to swim in the same swimming pool as members of the opposite sex, then they don't have to swim at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
there isn't a problem, I know loads of muslims who are doctors in training, pharmacist in training, nurses or planning to work for the british military. We go to university, and work to serve society either through businesses and etc. In what way are we not assimilating. Is it because muslims tend to be friends with each other? (I guess this is also what I noticed and I think its wrong but you see this with other groups too, in my uni the whites tend to stick together and dont talk to us coloured people, the indians also stick together and so do orientals). So stop being so ridiculous, I'm getting so fed up of all of this and I'm already having a really bad day

Again, that's just anecdotal evidence, it doesn't mean much when there is actual evidence showing that there is a problem with assimilatiom. I'm glad that you know plenty of great people who happen to be Muslim, but that doesn't reflect what the rest are like.

They're asking for special treatment, therefore it is a problem and isn't assimilation. If they don't like it, they are free to leave Switzerland and move to a Muslim country.
Original post by MeYou2Night
They're asking for special treatment, therefore it is a problem and isn't assimilation. If they don't like it, they are free to leave Switzerland and move to a Muslim country.

oh so religious freedom and freedom of expression means nothing yh? Or does it only mean something when it suits you? And what if the muslim in question is a native? People like you say that you have the right to draw the muslim prophet because of freedom of expression but this freedom of expression suddenly dissappears when a muslim is involved. Its so pathetic
(edited 7 years ago)

Plus, you're argument is flawed. Saying that "we go to uni, we are doctors etc.so therefore there is no problem with any Muslim" - that's the same flawed logic as saying "all Muslims are terrorist because ISIS are muslim"

Just because you've made a positive genrilisation, doesn't divert from your flawed argument.

Then again you won't say anythjng negative about any fellow Muslim as you'll be exiled from the community right?
oh so religious freedom and freedom of expression means nothing yh? Or does it only mean something when it suits you? And what if the muslim in question is a native? People like you say that you have the right to draw the muslim prophet because of freedom of expression but this freedom of expression suddenly dissappears when a muslim is involved. Its so pathetic

I actually believe that no religion should be involved in the state or anything in the public sphere. - I.e who can swim where.

Drawing a picture is totally different as it does not effect any part of the public sphere on a day to day basis.
My question: why is the Swiss government forcing parents to send their children to swim classes in the first place?
I actually believe that no religion should be involved in the state or anything in the public sphere. - I.e who can swim where.

Drawing a picture is totally different as it does not effect any part of the public sphere on a day to day basis.

it does affect the public sphere because it offends people (besides I think people should be allowed to draw whatever they want to draw including the muslim prophet because I'm not a hypocrite like you)
Plus, you're argument is flawed. Saying that "we go to uni, we are doctors etc.so therefore there is no problem with any Muslim" - that's the same flawed logic as saying "all Muslims are terrorist because ISIS are muslim"

Just because you've made a positive genrilisation, doesn't divert from your flawed argument.

Then again you won't say anythjng negative about any fellow Muslim as you'll be exiled from the community right?

exactly saying all muslims are terrorists because isis is is bloody ridiculous. I'm glad we agreed on something.

Exiled from the community :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: mate what do you know about my community, I speak my mind I don't care about what people think of me. If they don't wanna accept me I really don't give a f***
it does affect the public sphere because it offends people (besides I think people should be allowed to draw whatever they want to draw including the muslim prophet because I'm not a hypocrite like you)

That's diffwrent - Taking offence is subjective therefore things that can cause offence can't and shouldn't be legislated against.

I'd say the same if Christian's also kicked up a fuss (which I know they don't - but if they did) about drawing Jesus.

Or anything else that could be deemed offensive - it's stupid to legislate against as you'd have to legislate for everything as someone will go "it offends me", at nearly everything.
Reply 199
Original post by Gladstone1885
My question: why is the Swiss government forcing parents to send their children to swim classes in the first place?

So they can swim and avoid drowning?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending